Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

FINALLY! Ghibli VS 5 Series comparison (with side by side pics)

15K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Nick007 
#1 · (Edited)
I FINALLY found an article comparing the two. They're both Diesels which sucks, but you can see the two designs together, which I've been waiting for as I have a 535i M Sport and have been considering shopping a Ghibli when my lease is up in 10 months. IMO they're the two most beautiful Sedans on the road, for very different reasons (Maser is all aggression and in-your-face while the F10 is more smooth and timeless). The Maser looks its best at the front, while the rear looks pretty bland I think, especially next to the F10 5 Series' IMO much more beautiful rear. To me, the 5 Series' interior looks easily a class above, which bothers me about the Ghibli. All in all, both cars seem to shine well in their own respects. The Ghibli looks really hot, though I wonder how all those angular shapes will age (always been a fan of smooth shapes, like the current 5 Series', due to lasting ability on the eyes).

The 5 Series took the win, btw.

See less See more
#2 ·
interesting and as you say it is a comparision of the disel and yes the BMW wins.........but this reviewer confirms Maserati's exclusivity compared to the millions that its competitors will produce and I am not a stockholder and do not want a car that is designed to appease stockholders (although that is the essence of business) So, like and audiophile disceting the finer differrences (which is his job) the Maserati is Jittery or less refined in its handling and the interior of the BMW has some better quality components but when we both pull up to the gala or whatever we are going to you tell me who will have arrived......sorry not the BMW.......it will be the Maz that everyone talks about and yearns for.....wish they could own....the ratio of BMW's to Maz's is ridiculous and you will be driving just another car........I bought something different something exclusive, somthing that says "i have arrived" I call it a "lifetime achievement award to myself" and i have worked 25+ years very very hard to get there and maybe that is shallow, or self centered but unlike an audiophile, the fine differences do not bother me, I have owned two BMW's and I know what they are. However, reviewers have confirmed that the Q S4 is solid and performs accordingly........and this is not Europe and also know I am leasing for 36 months not keeping it for 6-10 years, guess that is just me and we will see if I am alone or not.........details aside, the Maserati is selling somthing very different beyond the fine differences (and better) offered by BMW..........and in the end the buyers decision will be based on what they want and/or desire.......I desire and like to buck the trend..try something new.....Sorry for the ramble just trying to compare IMO the real difference between the two and why I am buying.........

#3 ·
The diesel Ghibli just isn't a Ghibli in my humble opinion. In any respect as ETodd points out the Ghibli is a Maserati, and not just because it has a trident pinned to its nose. Look at it this way. The BMW is like a tiger mothered Chinese graduate from a top school -- on paper he beats the pants off of a lot of other kids, but he's boring as dirt, has the personality of a potted plant, and probably won't innovate and excite your business if you hire him. Bottom line: he's a safe bet with predictable potential. (no offense to tiger mothered Chinese kids)

The Ghibli on the other hand is more like the A- athlete EE major. He partied his nuts off, played sports, and still managed to score well. He's a little rough around the edges academically, but he's sharp and he's got a personality, not to mention has a ton of potential. People like him.

#5 · (Edited)
As a current owner of both 550xi M Sport and Ghibli SQ4, and you guys know I did a thorough comparison on these two cars in the other thread and I gave the win to 550xi as well in terms of quality and reliability. However, I feel more attracted to Ghibli than 550xi. As RSM has said it's a Maserati and there is something special about it. It's not because Ghibli is newer than my 550xi, it's the name and the brand that makes the huge difference along with other things you can only find in a Maserati. This is why I hope Maserati can keep its exclusivity :).
When buying car, there are number of factors you need to consider, but at the end it's about what you desire the most, no matter how good other cars are (for example there are people that just prefer Audi over BMW, they don't even compare features and other typical factors when you are buying a car, they just like Audi). There are people that try to find faults on Ghibli to put it down so they can feel better with their current cars, but everyone knows that Maserati is "cooler" than a BMW and in fact if they had the opportunity they would switch the car.

#6 ·
Here is a perfect example: We were at dinner with friends and at one point discussed the SB commercial and my new Ghibli order. My friends wife says "I can tell my friends that I know someone who owns a Maserati!" note this is the wife who is not a car person by any means but knows the mystique of a Maserati! Sorry BMW you are good and we all love you but you are not a Maserati.......

#7 ·
RSM: love your analogy! Especially coming from No. VA (lots of tiger moms!!!)

We drove from VA to Long Island to visit friends this weekend. It was a Ghibli adventure. We saw NO other Masers during the entire three days on the road. The Ghibli (with its winter tires) kicked the ass out of the snow that fell (3-4 inches) during the weekend. My husband TRIED to get it to slide/fish tail but couldn't. Solid as a rock (on snow). Also, no tire spin on pull out. I think this is where ICE mode is helpful to dampen throttle response.

Of course, with the crappy weather, I really wouldn't expect to see none AWD luxury cars out on the road, but we definitely saw many, many BMWs and Mercs. I'm sure they're nice and reliable in the snow, but they just don't compare wrt style.

Scariest part of the trip was the Belt Parkway. Potholes galore!! It was like running a mogul course. Steering was quick.

#11 ·
I agree. It'll just get worse as the new S Class has an EXACT copy of its design done by the C. Like M-B didn't even design a C, they just scaled down the S. Fact is, once the C's start outnumbering the S' like 500-1, that body style and look will be "owned" by the C Class, people will identify it with the C, so the S will eventually be looked upon as a "blown up C Class". For $100+K the S should retain some exclusivity in its aesthetic, aside from the obvious larger dimensions.

#12 ·
Lots of journalists write about the 'quality impression' that is better for the BMW. Might be, but i find (and lots of people with me) that the interior of the Ghibli is by far the most beautiful. I don't even like that of the BMW (I can compare very well since my sales manager has the BMW): the interior of the Ghibli is much more homogeneous (have a look at the center part of interior of he BMW...), stylish and sporty at once.
Driving pleasure makes a big difference as well, but this can mainly be reduced to 'sport-oriented with some comfort' and 'comfort-oriented' with some sporty impressions. Depends on personal preference of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.