Basic audio upgrade recommendation for base / premium system -- ~ $1600 installed
Long story short, I took delivery of an SQ4 this past Saturday and needless to say, the sound needs some work. OK... a lot of work. The exhaust sound (of course) is AWESOME, it's the stereo I'm taking about. I have to laugh at what all of those poor 535i/E350/A6/XF/GS/A7/CLS drivers are missing.
I met with an installer today who is going to take me to listen to a customer's car he recently upgraded this weekend. He's done 3 Ghiblis so far.
Note: I am not an audiophile / audio professional or play one on TV and have half-deaf 42 year old tin ears. That said, I do know a good stereo when I hear it vs a poor one. I also know nothing about audio system tech so please forgive me if I get any of the terminology wrong.
In short, these are his recommendations:
1. Keep factory speakers. He said the main thing the car is missing is bass. The speakers are fine for 90% of people out there. That's me.
2. install free air sub in open port at the back of the car. He has some sort of 8" custom unit that looked like a piece of industrial design magic. He showed me the factory "oval" sub and it looked sad. Very sad.
3. Audio Control Unit. I believe he recommended the AudioControl LC8i but I had a difficult time paying attention because I needed lunch and to get back to work.
4. 1500 watt Kenwood amp. 8, 10, 20 channels.. no idea.
5. Custom subwoofer mount, dynamat, cables, install etc. He said he needed a day and a half to do the install work.
BTW, He was very confused when he first went into the car to poke around, he thought it was a Quattroporte!
Wish me luck!
Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by sizquik; 10-23-2014 at 07:38 AM.