User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Successfully updated Garmin Maps without dealer (DIY)

I couldn't sleep at 2am, so wound up poking around this site and researching the Uconnect and Garmin systems and updates. There are many previous posts about updating via the dealer, and the price as $322 by BeerGuy.

It seems the system we have is the 8.4" RB5, and is common with the 2014 Chrysler 300, and SRT Chrysler 300, 2015 Dodge Dart, and the 2014 Charger. The site here will show you each model year:
Uconnect® | Systems | 2014 Chrysler 300 Touch 8.4N/RB5

Selecting Order Map Updates at the bottom at this page:
https://auto-update.garmin.com/auto-update/?lang=en_US

will open this page:
Chrysler Group | Home | HERE

I used the 2014 Chrysler 300, and it opens the page to enter your 10 digit Unit ID. This you will find on your Mas MTC by selecting, NAV, Settings, System, About. See img_1008. Enter that number and you will go to instructions to purchase and download the 2015 maps for US and Canada. (Sorry, not sure about other countries.) Anyone with other maps, let us know if you can update with your data.

The price is US$149 + possible state tax (mine $10.43) = total 159.43.

Some problems are finding a blank proper sized USB. I tried my iPod and another usb, but the drive has to be blank. So I wound up using a 8GB CF card from my Nikon camera in a multi-slot usb adapter.

Also, the download is not functional on Mac. There is a download link and will download, but the program isn't working. So I had to run the Windows version on Windows, via Parallels. It was problematic, and required multiple resets, but eventually worked. It wouldn't show an internet connection and gave me several of those errors, but finally worked when I just opened a browser page and left it open. Likely not my system, but a poor program. The other option is to just have the usb stick delivered via mail, rather than downloading.

The download took about 3 hours, due partly to my slow connection, and uploaded to the Mas in 45 minutes. I worked in the garage, and just plugged in the battery charger. I'm not too keen on paying $108/hour shop rate for some guy to babysit the reflashing/upload for 45 minutes.

Here is a link to instructions. Once you put your usb in the car, it will upload into the usb the system/map versions and put in a Maserati file. After the download, I looked at the uploaded files (about 4GB), and it had the POI file, Chrysler, and Maserati. So don't think you're getting a lesser product, it they are all the same maps for the same system, but your car tells Garmin what files it needs. If you already have the update, it will give you the message that a 'duplicate file exists', as I recall reading somewhere.

To find your map version (img_1007) you can go to dealer mode. Thanks to hsandhu01 for posting 'MTC "hidden" dealer mode' in these forums.

That's all I can think of. Let me know any questions.

Cheers.

http://chryslergroup.navigation.com/...e%20Update.pdf

Sorry, photos won't upload. I'll keep trying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Uploaded photos
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_1007.pdf (13.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_1008.pdf (14.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_1009.pdf (17.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_1012.pdf (16.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_1013.pdf (13.3 KB, 78 views)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Very helpful!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
What is the advantage of this? Just updating the maps to the latest road changes? Or does this fit the issues with the IPhone synching or enhances the map display?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This just updates the navigation maps from Garmin/HERE. I found no Uconnect updates that will allow SIRI/iPhone, or a different display. To do that you would need a Uconnect update for our model display, or a different display such as what is on the newer model Ghiblis.

The last map update quote I had from the dealer in March was US$399. And that just seems criminal to me.

Cheers.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
That's all well and good and I applaud your resourcefulness, but don't you find it a bit ridiculous this day and age to have to pay for map updates at all? There are any number of GPS apps one can download free of charge to one's smart phone that are head and shoulders better than Garmin (more user friendly and up-to-date on a real time basis.)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Not really. While I have my phone with maps up, I don't necessarily mind paying to use my car. I pay for maps on my boat, my company pays for maps on my airplane, and 150 bucks versus 399 for dealer intervention is reasonable in my 92k car on my 8.4" display, rather than on my tiny iPhone.

All I did was figure out how to get rid of the dealer, and update the maps on your own just like every other Chrysler/Jeep owner has the ability to do.

But as ever, it's Captain's discretion as to how you spend your money.

Cheers.
atrinh likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Appreciate you sharing the information ... quite interesting.
Had I not done the upgrade through the dealer already I would have given this a shot.

It is interesting essentially having a Maserati "upcharge" for what appears to be the same Garmin maps, (used on select Chrysler's).

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Grigio Mareata // Cuoio-Black Extended Leather Interior
Cold Weather - Luxury - Sports - Premium packages
20" Urano Polished Summer//20" FT-6 Gun Metal Winter
Gtechniq professional // 3M Crystalline 50%
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJake View Post
Not really. While I have my phone with maps up, I don't necessarily mind paying to use my car. I pay for maps on my boat, my company pays for maps on my airplane, and 150 bucks versus 399 for dealer intervention is reasonable in my 92k car on my 8.4" display, rather than on my tiny iPhone.
Cheers.
I wonder why a guy who paid 92k for a car, has a boat and an airplane is worried about the difference between 150 dollars and 399. Plus how time consuming that seemed like, seems worth paying the extra money. Very resourceful though.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhibliJV View Post
I wonder why a guy who paid 92k for a car, has a boat and an airplane is worried about the difference between 150 dollars and 399. Plus how time consuming that seemed like, seems worth paying the extra money. Very resourceful though.
A pilot
sverzi likes this.