Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

Paddle shifters - addon afterwards

43K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  Jayway05 
#1 ·
I didn't get the sport package; therefore, no paddle shifters. No biggie, as I didn't use them, in my previous car much. Preferred the stick shift.

With that said, I was looking at the steering column, there are two cut outs for the paddle shifters, one on each side. Curious to know if the factory hook ups and wiring would be there. Just need to put in an actuator and paddles? Anyone without paddle shifters brave enough to take off the plastic cover and see what's there? I've tried, but couldn't find any screws to unbolt.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I can confirm that everything is there and the paddles can be retro-fitted. I had this done by the dealer on my car.

Reactions: NYCSQ4
#4 ·
Not sure, dealer did it as part of agreement to buy their ex-demo car. I think it was about £1500.

#5 · (Edited)
I didn't get the sport package; therefore, no paddle shifters. No biggie, as I didn't use them, in my previous car much. Preferred the stick shift.

With that said, I was looking at the steering column, there are two cut outs for the paddle shifters, one on each side. Curious to know if the factory hook ups and wiring would be there. Just need to put in an actuator and paddles? Anyone without paddle shifters brave enough to take off the plastic cover and see what's there? I've tried, but couldn't find any screws to unbolt.
Yes the wires are inside the steering column for the paddle hookup..

You need to remove the entire top & bottom steering column panel covers to do this. Once the covers are off, you have to remove the airbag, then remove the steering wheel itself. You need to remove both of these things since there is a bracket that needs to be removed, once the bracket is removed you replace it with the paddles.

You then plug the paddle wire harness in, and reverse the process putting everything back together again. Its a very simple process..

Tools needed -

• allen wrench
  • phillips screwdriver
  • 5/16th wrench

Parts needed -
  • paddle shifter assembly
  • new upper column cover
  • new lower column covers

you need new covers since the non paddle cars obviously have a different steering column cover to accomodate the paddles.

Total cost should run less then $500 depending on what paddles you go with.

THATS IT!!!

#6 ·
Thanks for the information. Very informative. I assume the software does not need to be updated.

Unplugging the airbag seems like a daunting tasking. Where would you buy the paddle bracket and wiring harness?

Can you just cut out the paddle cut outs instead of new covers?

#9 ·
No removing the airbag is very simple. The whole process is very easy if you follow right steps. Many many many people have done retro paddle fits on the QP.

You can get all the requires parts at your local Maserati dealership at the parts department. All you are doing is replacing the base parts with the upgrade parts.

Call dealer get price on paddle shifter assembly. Buy it and self install. It's a simple plug and play device. Every car is equipped with the wire harness.

Anyone who buys the parts I will give you full instructions on how to do this. I will be doing it soon myself and can make a youtube video.

My only prob right now is using the stock paddles. I don't like them and prefer an upgraded carbon fiber set. Look at my other posts I have done many upgrades to my ghibli already, such as brake caliper painting, racing pedals, upgraded mats with Maserati logo, tint, carbon fiber plates.

Next on list is paddles, wheel spacers, misc carbon fiber pieces.

#14 ·
One of the Southern California Maserati dealers recently posted on their Facebook page a special offer to install paddle shifters for the Ghibli for $800 - labor included. Unfortunately, I can't remember which dealer it was :(

#15 ·
Hi Yangpei, it was probably the dealership here in San Diego, my car was the first one in SD to have the paddles installed afterwards. Before I bought my car, I saw the first post on this thread, I mentioned it to dealer and they found out they can install them after the fact. I got them done for $800 bucks.

#16 ·
How do you like the paddle shifters? Do you use them?

On my wife's previous cars (PDK 911 and Audi A7), we never touched the paddles once. On my Vantage, however, I use the paddles routinely.

Just wondering if it's worth adding paddles to the Ghibli.

#17 ·
As a follow up, I asked my dealer about this and they showed me the Maserati tech sheet for the add on. The parts include the paddles, bracket, new washer / light / combo lever (for increased clearance) and a new column cover. There is also a software update. Total cost just under $1200

#19 ·
Has anyone actually installed these themselves and con confirm that software update is NOT needed... that everything on display,etc shows correctly..

I am sure corners may be cut and one may bolt on parts , but I am unsure ho wthe car would know to change the display when paddles are in use.

Just curious,

S

#20 ·
I looked into this and MRPA has since said that he has not actually done the retrofit himself and cannot confirm that a software update is or is not required.

The price for the shifter paddles part is so prohibitively expensive in the UK (from both dealer and indy parts supplier) that the cost saving isn't worth it when coupled with the uncertainty of a software update being needed or not.

#21 ·
correct, i have not personally done it but i spoke to a service mgr and he confirmed it is strictly plug and play.

i also helped another member on here acquire the parts and guided him on the install. i can check with him to confirm that no software update was needed. im 99% sure its plug and play though. i will check with the member.

total cost of the project should be around $500 for everything if doing a self install. its a 2 hour project.

#22 ·
I've confirmed, without the software update, the paddle shifters do indeed operate and shift the transmission up and down when in use.

What I also confirmed is that without the update, the center screen in the instrument cluster does not recognize the paddle shifters in use.

I attached a picture of a car that HAS the programming done, which shows in the lower center display two paddles on either side of the gear selected.

Not a big deal and I am still working on what else is actually included with the software update.... More to follow.

Attachments

#34 ·
I've confirmed, without the software update, the paddle shifters do indeed operate and shift the transmission up and down when in use.

What I also confirmed is that without the update, the center screen in the instrument cluster does not recognize the paddle shifters in use.

I attached a picture of a car that HAS the programming done, which shows in the lower center display two paddles on either side of the gear selected.

Not a big deal and I am still working on what else is actually included with the software update.... More to follow.
hi, so since u change a new column spring, and add the paddle shifter, do u have any problem about error codes?cause I have the 2015 Maserati Ghibli without the sports package, when I find a local shop to done all these job(add on a new steering wheel spring column. paddle shifter, and column top cover ), the antiskid light is on ? and the local shop can't find a way to eliminate the error lights on dashboard.cause I do sure the clock spring is good and not damaged .so I was confused that what should I do to get rid of this lights. so do I really need to go to the Maserati dealership to programing it and than I can slove all this issue. btw, my car in the lower center display two paddles on either side of the gear selected didn't showing up.

#23 ·
Had them added by the dealer as part of my purchase. the did not have the the new turn stock and there is very little clearance between the original one and the paddle less than 1mm. they are going to change it out when it comes in but this is a must do if you add paddles...

#25 ·
Are you sure you don't have 8 way seat? 99.99% of all ghiblis have the 8 way seat, it's close to impossible to find a car that doesn't since dealers typically don't order their cars without them. The only way you wouldn't have it is if you or the dealer ordered a stripped out model with zero options.

Reconfirm your car does not have an electronic seat adjustment on the left side of driver seat, making seat go front / back, up/down, backrest F/B, and head rest U/D that's 8 movements.

Im curious what they used - does your car have manual push / pull lever?

In any case the dealer is 100% correct you can't add paddles without 8 way seat option since your car does not have the wiring needed to control these options.

#30 ·
There are five or six on eBay from US$450 to US$650 range right now. That's where I picked up my paddles (though I paid $300).
Not sure if shipping prohibitive, but there should be a similar used/re-sale source closer to you. Consider used rather than new or aftermarket; the stock brushed aluminum paddles look and work fine as is.

#32 ·
Yeah, I skipped the flash; it shows on the dash when in manual mode anyway whether using shifter or paddles.
I kept the stock column cover and carefully cut out the paddle slots. It's my car, and the paddles will stay with it if (when) I eventually sell. :oops::cry:
Also kept the stock signal lever. I shimmed the paddles where they mount to the base bracket using a few small washers. It lifts (both) the left paddle slightly away from the signal arm and provides enough room for it to function well. All working great as installed.

#33 ·

hi, so since u change a new column spring, and add the paddle shifter, do u have any problem about error codes?cause I have the 2015 Maserati Ghibli without the sports package, when I find a local shop to done all these job, the antiskid light is on ? and the local shop can't find a way to eliminate the error lights on dashboard.

#40 ·

With that said, I was looking at the steering column, there are two cut outs for the paddle shifters, one on each side. Curious to know if the factory hook ups and wiring would be there. Just need to put in an actuator and paddles? Anyone without paddle shifters brave enough to take off the plastic cover and see what's there? I've tried, but couldn't find any screws to unbolt
Huh I thought u take those caps off and there’s two of them that detach the airbag???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.