LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ghibli overheating

I have had vehicle towed twice for overheating. First time they replaced hose connection that broke. Happened again right after I got it back and they found that first leak was a result of overheating not the cause. Found a slow leak further up in the engine. This time replaced parts that took sometime to get from Italy and vehicle was supposed to be done yesterday day 12. After completion and testing it vehicle was still leaking. They have now ordered additional parts that will not be in until sometime next week. They will now have had the vehicle much longer than I have since I only got it in mid December. Anyone having any similar issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJS13 View Post
I have had vehicle towed twice for overheating. First time they replaced hose connection that broke. Happened again right after I got it back and they found that first leak was a result of overheating not the cause. Found a slow leak further up in the engine. This time replaced parts that took sometime to get from Italy and vehicle was supposed to be done yesterday day 12. After completion and testing it vehicle was still leaking. They have now ordered additional parts that will not be in until sometime next week. They will now have had the vehicle much longer than I have since I only got it in mid December. Anyone having any similar issue.
Just as an update my Ghibli is expected to be completed 1/12 or day 22. They will have had it 22 of the 33 days since purchase. One of the parts needed was a water pump that was unavailable in the US. To fix the issue Maserati sent an engine cover with the pump already installed for the dealer to use. I told them I didn't think it was appropriate to unseal and uninstall a water pump and install it on my new vehicle but that fell on deaf ears. During this period I have been requesting a replacement since the vehicle is brand new and cooking the engine twice could have already done damage. Didn't think wanting a new car that I could feel comfortable works was asking too much. I even told them were there was a similar car less than 4 hours away. I received responses to my emails to Maserati doesn't care that all said they would let me know after they talk with the regional person but never did. I finally got a phone call thanks to Erica on this site but it didn't change anything. I was told they were sorry and understood but would not consider doing anything until it officially met the states lemon law. They understood my concern with how they fixed it but she was assured by the regional manager that it would be fine. After voicing my concerns with taking the car I was told that if I didn't feel comfortable with it that I could always trade it in and get a new one. Really its 1 month old. How much can you get on a 1 month old car thats been in for repairs 22 days. Felt I had no option but to contact legal help. Emailed them with details and had a call within 5 minutes telling me they could help and that their fees are paid by the manufacturer. What a waste of time.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Who builds these cars? Looking at the "how your car is build" video, it's seems that maserati hired bunch of engineers in their 20's with no experience. I'm not sure if they are going to meet their goal 50k sales with such poor quality in the built and costumer relations. Some are happy with their cars for now, but if everyone starts having issues down the road and complaints become common occurrence, Maserati may have a revolt on their hands. It will be very tough pill for them to swallow when every car is filed under a lemon law. Love the car, but paying that kind of money and having it at the dealer every week, or whatever the case maybe is complete nuisance.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK this is a nightmare! Sorry you are going through this. I am considering purchase of a NEW 2014 or 2015 SQ4....but after reading about the brakes issue and the steering wheel "rattle" issue and now THIS?...I'm getting cold feet.

If I decided to buy one ...what is your advice in terms of "due dilligence"?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGhibli View Post
Who builds these cars? Looking at the "how your car is build" video, it's seems that maserati hired bunch of engineers in their 20's with no experience. I'm not sure if they are going to meet their goal 50k sales with such poor quality in the built and costumer relations. Some are happy with their cars for now, but if everyone starts having issues down the road and complaints become common occurrence, Maserati may have a revolt on their hands. It will be very tough pill for them to swallow when every car is filed under a lemon law. Love the car, but paying that kind of money and having it at the dealer every week, or whatever the case maybe is complete nuisance.
I understand the issues with new models which are some of the posts and those I would've understood but 22 of 33 days in the shop to start out is a little over the line for me. Each time it has overheated created the potential that long term damage could have been done to the motor especially with all the aluminum used today. I wasn't even requesting a refund just a vehicle I could feel confident works. They have plenty on the lots still. If I sold this right now who would actually buy it unless it was discounted to death. I think when you go from 8K to 50K in sales it takes a lot to get a world wide infrastructure setup to handle issues that arise. Not sure they have it yet. Its a shame car looks great
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
No matter what car you ll buy you ll get an issue from someone... doesn t mean your car will have the same.. I have a 2015 SQ4 and don t have any of these...
Listen to your heart.
flamingwicky likes this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangocharlie331 View Post
OK this is a nightmare! Sorry you are going through this. I am considering purchase of a NEW 2014 or 2015 SQ4....but after reading about the brakes issue and the steering wheel "rattle" issue and now THIS?...I'm getting cold feet.

If I decided to buy one ...what is your advice in terms of "due dilligence"?
My due diligence is looking a little suspect right now. I looked for 3 months for a vehicle and looked at a lot brands and websites. When I got the car I understood that it was a new model and may have some early on querks but I liked how it looked. The reviews from most sites weren't great but the issues revolved mostly around performance and options availability not quality. Car was too new when most were done. Whats on this site is somewhat what I would have expected. Although there are what seem to be a lot of issues with the Ghibli you must remember that you get that on forum sites. people are either enamored with it or have issues. Most people with no issues never even go to the site. My issue seems to be the only one of its kind on the site so it is not a systemic problem just a lemon for me. The only unanticipated issue I have had is not that this could happen but that the manufacturer would handle it so poorly. Parts availability was poor. 2 weeks for a water pump then having to get one from another part was surprising. Not stepping up and replacing a new vehicle in the shop 22 of the first 33 days was disapointing.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJS13 View Post
Just as an update my Ghibli is expected to be completed 1/12 or day 22. They will have had it 22 of the 33 days since purchase. One of the parts needed was a water pump that was unavailable in the US. To fix the issue Maserati sent an engine cover with the pump already installed for the dealer to use. I told them I didn't think it was appropriate to unseal and uninstall a water pump and install it on my new vehicle but that fell on deaf ears. During this period I have been requesting a replacement since the vehicle is brand new and cooking the engine twice could have already done damage. Didn't think wanting a new car that I could feel comfortable works was asking too much. I even told them were there was a similar car less than 4 hours away. I received responses to my emails to Maserati doesn't care that all said they would let me know after they talk with the regional person but never did. I finally got a phone call thanks to Erica on this site but it didn't change anything. I was told they were sorry and understood but would not consider doing anything until it officially met the states lemon law. They understood my concern with how they fixed it but she was assured by the regional manager that it would be fine. After voicing my concerns with taking the car I was told that if I didn't feel comfortable with it that I could always trade it in and get a new one. Really its 1 month old. How much can you get on a 1 month old car thats been in for repairs 22 days. Felt I had no option but to contact legal help. Emailed them with details and had a call within 5 minutes telling me they could help and that their fees are paid by the manufacturer. What a waste of time.
the mfg isnt going to give you a new car just b/c you have a bad water pump man. i mean if that was the case, everyone would want a new car and the mfg would be out of biz quick.

yes i realize from a personal standpoint you are not happy, i would be happy either, but having a bad water pump isnt the worst thing in the world here. if they had one in stock, it would have been fixed in 2 days, the only reason your car is sitting in the shop for 3 weeks is due to them waiting for parts to be shipped in from europe. im not sure why you are worried about having a new water pump installed though, there really is no issue w/ taking the old one off and installing a new one. if the pump is the problem, then the new one should correct it and you will be okay. if the pump isnt the problem, then your car will be back in the shop by next week and you will most likely hit your lemon law # and be eligible.

i believe in most states you have to hit 30 days of service for the same issue to be eligible. look at your calendar and count up all the days. one you accumulate 30 days gross you will be good to go. if your car was in for service multiple times, then you can count up the # of days from each trip to the garage and add them together to hit your 30.

when your car overheated as long as you shut the engine down immediately, you will be okay. i wouldnt worry about damaging the engine. and if you did damage the engine and cracked the block, you will know long before your warranty is up since your car will be overheating again, leaking coolant and oil.. so no worries there.

in all honesty though, i think your car is fine. you just happened to get a car with a faulty mopar water pump. could happen to anyone. lets just hope the replacement is a winner though.
atrinh likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpa1999 View Post
the mfg isnt going to give you a new car just b/c you have a bad water pump man. i mean if that was the case, everyone would want a new car and the mfg would be out of biz quick.

yes i realize from a personal standpoint you are not happy, i would be happy either, but having a bad water pump isnt the worst thing in the world here. if they had one in stock, it would have been fixed in 2 days, the only reason your car is sitting in the shop for 3 weeks is due to them waiting for parts to be shipped in from europe. im not sure why you are worried about having a new water pump installed though, there really is no issue w/ taking the old one off and installing a new one. if the pump is the problem, then the new one should correct it and you will be okay. if the pump isnt the problem, then your car will be back in the shop by next week and you will most likely hit your lemon law # and be eligible.

i believe in most states you have to hit 30 days of service for the same issue to be eligible. look at your calendar and count up all the days. one you accumulate 30 days gross you will be good to go. if your car was in for service multiple times, then you can count up the # of days from each trip to the garage and add them together to hit your 30.

when your car overheated as long as you shut the engine down immediately, you will be okay. i wouldnt worry about damaging the engine. and if you did damage the engine and cracked the block, you will know long before your warranty is up since your car will be overheating again, leaking coolant and oil.. so no worries there.

in all honesty though, i think your car is fine. you just happened to get a car with a faulty mopar water pump. could happen to anyone. lets just hope the replacement is a winner though.
To clarify a bit the water pump is still not necessarily the problem and only 1 of the parts used. The first time they thought it was just a hose that blew out but replacing that didn't work and it was towed again the next day. First light on this time was the engine oil temp light not the water message. On the 2nd fix it was 8 other parts they ordered and replaced but after test driving the car the leaking continued. This is the 3rd attempt to fix the problem with additional replacement parts ordered. The water pump hasn't even been shown to be defective its just one of the parts ordered to try to fix it this time. It happened to be the part they couldn't get. Also the 30 days in PA is total days in 1 year 12K miles or the warranty period of the vehicle. This is not limited to the same problem although this has been 22 for the same problem. It is also little known that there is also a federal statute that is a bit more liberal. My point is simply this is not 22 days in a year its in the first month and this isn't a fiesta.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just looking at a new Ghibli as an option and was trying to determine what issues i could potentially have being its such a new model. In this situation I would have to agree that if I purchased any product that was being fixed 22 of its first 33 days I would want it replaced. Regardless of the reason. Lemon law or not. This is a problem that stops you no matter where you are and doesn't sound like I would feel that comfortable of it being fixed. For me I am not concerned by this issue because every car has some out there but The customer service is my concern. Long wait for what sounds like basic parts and CS not taking care of this situation which I would hope would not be common. I don't know maybe there are more of these issues like this. People love the manufacturer when they have no issues but you find out the real good ones when you do. This is an elite company service should be above the rest.