post #1 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Gus

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ghibli tune/chip

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has chipped/tuned their Ghibli in US? I am not sure what's the stock turbo psi but since its a turbo car, i am assuming it should gain a decent amount from a chip/tune.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has chipped/tuned their Ghibli in US? I am not sure what's the stock turbo psi but since its a turbo car, i am assuming it should gain a decent amount from a chip/tune.

Thanks in advance!
Here is one for you. about 10% gain for 2100 euro.

Tuning - wheels for Maserati and exhaust - ecu power upgrade
post #3 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Gus

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Here is one for you. about 10% gain for 2100 euro.

Tuning - wheels for Maserati and exhaust - ecu power upgrade
Thanks. I just spoke with Novitec and they will have a ECU tune in the next week or so. They said it has to be installed by your nearest Maserati dealer. Now if the dealer is installing the tunes i don't think we would lose the warranty on the ECU.

post #4 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
That a dealer would install a ECU tune to make the engine more powerful than the manufacturer spec on a particular vehicle does not sound right.

Why would a dealer even do an install? Wouldn't Maserati forbid it or warn of the loss of a warranty coverage?
post #5 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Gus

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spsesq View Post
That a dealer would install a ECU tune to make the engine more powerful than the manufacturer spec on a particular vehicle does not sound right.

Why would a dealer even do an install? Wouldn't Maserati forbid it or warn of the loss of a warranty coverage?
Thats a good point. But i know for a fact that Audi does an ECU tune to their cars if you ask. Like the Audi S4 they tune it to over 400hp and you do not lose the warranty.

Novitec told me they are working with the dealers and thats the only way to get the tune. If not you have to find one of their shops. As long as the dealers aprove it and install it you shouldn't lose the warranty.

As soon as they release the price and its not some ridiculous amount, i will call my dealer and ask. The Ghibli with 476hp, faster throttle response, higher top speed, and better fuel economy (if you drive like a grandma) does not sound like a bad idea.

Last edited by Gus; 09-09-2014 at 04:15 PM.
post #6 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spsesq View Post

Well, that individual dealer will have to warranty the tune and the vehicle. This warranty will not work if you bring the car to another dealer. I know some Mercedes dealers will offer Brabus or Lorinser tune to the customers. Of course, they will be charging you more to make a profit. Usually more than other independent tuning shops.

I also imagine the tuning company (Brabus, Novitec, etc) will have to provide some type of warranty/protect for their products on the cars.
Gus likes this.
post #7 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
BMW dealers install DINAN tunes as well. It does not void the warranty.

Quote:
Dinan Cars designs and manufactures aftermarket performance parts for BMW automobiles. The company was founded in 1979 by Steve Dinan and is headquartered in Morgan Hill, California.

Its parts are marketed through a network of authorized BMW dealers, independent auto repair shops as well as through their website. The company has a long-standing relationship with the BMW dealers, allowing Dinan-modified vehicles to retain factory warranty coverage and even qualify for BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program; something often lost when vehicles receive aftermarket modifications. There are 180 locations in the United States that sell Dinan parts or cars; 150 of them are BMW dealerships. One of Dinan’s goals is to help and support these dealerships in hopes to increase sales from 5,000 cars a year to 15,000 cars a year.

Dinan’s comprehensive warranty program, introduced in 1996 with the cooperation of BMW of North America, provides BMW owners with matching coverage to that offered by BMW’s new car warranty, ensuring that Dinan performance enhancements and the BMW's they have been installed in are covered for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Dinan supplied performance parts for the Mini line but the last model year designed for was in 2006. In addition Dinan also built BMW racing engines for teams competing in the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series Daytona Prototype class up until 2013.

As of 2013, Dinan is part of the Driven Performance Brand Group which includes B&M Racing and Performance, Flowmaster, and Hurst Driveline Conversions.
Gus and Mangirek like this.

Last edited by TheJackal; 09-09-2014 at 04:07 PM.
post #8 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I also have been calling Novitec about the Ghibli tune and was told this would be handled only by dealers whom wanted to be a part of the tune offering. I am in NY so he said it was likely they would be able to find some dealer in the tri state area for me to go to but product pricing and installation pricing would not be ready for release until this Friday. I have a feeling this would mean this is likely going to be an expensive tune. If anyone gets the info before me Friday please share and I will do the same if they call me back with the final pricing.
post #9 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Several Porsche dealers do the same...

2015 Ghibli SQ4 Nero Rib/Nero red stitching, CF
2014 Ghibli Rosso Energia/Nero (Gone)
2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (Gone)
2007 Porsche 911 Turbo (Traded for Ghibli)
post #10 of 379 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Novitec is backed by Ferrari and Maserati. I plan on getting a base model this week sometime (hopefully tomorrow). I'll prob do a custom dyno tune... The V6 twin-turbo motor has so much potential.
Mangirek and cyron like this.