Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

Front plate issue

44K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  bklynsq4 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#3 ·
Yea, I'm not sure that I see the point. I guess your car could look a bit nicer by not having the front license plate out when you are parked, but the license plate would still have to be out when you are driving so it is not really that much of help in the end.

I do agree that the license plate placement does cover up some of the nicest part of the front end of the Ghibli though. You could always move to a state that doesn't require front license plates.

#4 ·
You could always move to a state that doesn't require front license plates.
Yeah, I like the no-plate thing, but not enough to move, LOL. I'm thinking you could putt around town with it up, and pull it in when you have a straight-away on the highway and want the aerodynamics to hit Mach 2! But only if it is a Highway to the Danger Zone! (high-five!)

But seriously, I know a lot of people that don't use the front plate - they just set in under the front seat and if pulled over, just tell the cop that it hasn't been installed yet since it is just a fix-it ticket I think.

#5 ·
Even if mostly in the up position, I see the benefit of not having to drill permanent visible holes in the bumper of the Ghibli. While it would need to be in the up position most of the time, especially during those times when you can't afford to be pulled over for something stupid like a front license plate, there are times when it could be retracted with minimal risk. Hayasa, please install it on the Ghibli and give us a review with pics.

#8 · (Edited)
In the months since I researched, ordered and waited for a Ghibli, I don't think I've ever seen one with a front license plate, either in person or in photos. Does a photo of one exist on this planet? I've searched--nothing, nowhere. Does it look so bad messing up the nice front of the car that no one is showing it.? I'm afraid I will have to see it soon on my own Ghibli. I may have to leave it in the glove compartment as suggested above! Yes, Hide the plate.com might be a solution.

#10 ·
In the months since I researched, ordered and waited for a Ghibli, I don't think I've ever seen one with a front license plate, either in person or in photos. Does a photo of one exist on this planet? I've searched--nothing, nowhere. Does it look so bad messing up the nice front of the car that no one is showing it.? I'm afraid I will have to see it soon on my own Ghibli. I may have to leave it in the glove compartment as suggested above!
Here's a pic of the demo Ghibli S at my dealer (Riyadh hence Arabic on plate). Now you know why it is hard to find a lot of pictures of the cars with front plates attached!! Not sure what other options there are.

Attachments

#24 ·
had a similar answer from a custom shop in Chicago: $390 for installation, including a $130 motorized plate... :mad:

#20 ·
Problem is that "no front plate" tickets usually comes with a court summons to prove that you've installed the plates. You can't just pay the ticket and go on without a front plate.

I noticed that a lot of performance cars use tow hook plates. There's even one for the Ghibli available for $50. The benefit is that you don't have to drill any holes and it's "temporary".

I am in Virginia and in early 2013 there was a legislation to eliminate the need for front tags. Was supposed to save the state $2M in license plate costs. But the bill failed as it was struck at the request of a "Patron of Transportation". I am not sure what that means, but it may be a lobbyist for toll roads or red light cameras.

#27 ·
Uhg. VA is the worst for anything traffic related. The only plus is that there are so many single plate out of state cars in NoVa that no front plate isn't as obvious.
You've got that right! Everything from radar detectors being illegal to speed traps and expensive emissions inspections every other year--even on NEW cars. Then there's that yearly personal property tax on cars after you already paid the 4% sales tax on your new car. Virginia sucks when it comes to cars. ... a northern Virginia resident and about to be a Ghibli owner.

#22 ·
I have the retractable plate (Manual) depends on what mood im in.Leaving it down resulted in a minor scratch on the plate going slow over a speed bump in ny.I dont mind it up it actually matches my cuoio interior.Plus its annoying to get pulled over and then i have the tint issue.I would like a remote one but my dealer said they didnt offer that.

#28 ·
Retractable plate

I just picked up car yesterday and the dealer installed the hideaway plate for 299 after discount. Very pleased. I drive with it down and put it up parked. I have battled this issue with other cars I have owned and this solution is perfect. Looks great down and so easy to lift up. In town is where foot patrols are conducted so I place it up then but if I am in the car it stays down.

#30 ·
I have them on my R8, works like a charm. I have the remote version, with 2 buttons. I'll have a video up this weekend to show you guys. Im planning to get it for my Ghibli and my in laws wants them too on their car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.