LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Electric Parking Brake Malfunction

Hello All:

This morning I noticed the Electric Parking Brake Malfunction idiot light came on. I do not know if it is cold related or what. Has anyone had the issue come up and what is there to do? I tried to see if any older posts mentioned this issue but found none.

Thanks for any assistance.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
you can try resetting it, otherwise the only way to get it to go off is to have the dealership re-calibrate it. with the light being on you no longer have use of the parking brake so don't park on any steep inclines.

to reset - open the trunk, lift up the spare tire flap, on the right hand side there will be a cover and under it is your battery. open that up and remove the battery terminal, its a simple push button terminal clip so you wont need any tools at all, just your fingers. leave the terminal off for 10 minutes or so. clip in back on and hopefully your light will have reset itself.

some advice, make sure your car is unlocked when you are doing this, and do not close your trunk. otherwise you will have no way of opening your trunk or getting into your vehicle since your auto door locks will not work without the battery being connected.
Mangirek likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
i dont think i ever used it once since i got the car.

Tommy

Interested in a LEASE ASSUMPTION?

CLICK ==> http://www.ghibliforum.com/forum/mas...w-mileage.html

2014 SQ4 Bianco (White) with Extended Nero/cuoio( dark tan) interior

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much for the tip MRPA1999!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I guess I never paid attention to the parking brake ... I never used it. I thought it was electronic like the Jaguar so it automatically sets itself and disengages when in gear. Guess I need to read the manual.

I do have my car going into the shop for minor updates this Monday. So wanted to make sure there were no issues with very cold weather and parked the car outside during the last few record cold nights. Started it up at 18F and drove around without any new rattles, low tire pressure readings, wheel slippage. Heated steering wheel and seats came on automatically and quickly heated up to comfortable conditions. Only odd feature was the heat was blowing through the defroster in AUTO mode, but you could manually change to any setting manually, (unlike the air conditioning software fix).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
i had this issue a few months back. brought it to the dealership for them to fix (they said a basic reset wouldn't fix it)...and to take care of a bunch of campaign updates. dealership also washed the car!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by punksterz626 View Post
i dont think i ever used it once since i got the car.
you most likely use your EPB everytime you park the car lol. the EPB auto engages itself each time the car is turned off. it then dis-engages itself each time the car is placed into gear. thats the default setting from factory so unless you changed it, its on and in use.

you can adjust or turn off the auto engage feature in your vehicle settings if you dont want the brake to auto engage. you would then need to manually apply it whenever you wanted to use it.

anyone who is racing or taking the car to the track would want to make sure the EPB is turned off before hitting the track. when racing the brakes can get very hot, and it would not be a good idea to have the brake auto engage after you turn the car off, since they are excessively hot and you would more then likely burn them to the rotor.
Mangirek likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Parking brake problem today. Parking brake would not disengage when car put into gear. Parking brake warning light came on and stayed on. Several key on - off cycles did not disengage brake. Car flat bedded to Maserati dealer who subsequently said parking brake actuator bad and he ordered a replacement part. First time I have been stranded by any car in 10 years (not happy).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It reset itself!

I turned the car off, engaged the parking brake and then disengaged. The system rest and it has not gone on since. Thanks all!
Steve
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had the same problem. Took the car in to the dealer and they said the car was defaulting to pre-delivery mode, whatever that is. In any event they did their reset magic along with several other computer updates---- the EPB is now working fine.