15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Brakes After 14000 Miles?

I took delivery of my Ghibli in December 2013. Since then I've put 14,000 miles on the car. I had my first annual service at Maserati in December and to my surprise, it wasn't free. I've never had a service on any car I've purchased NOT be free but that's another thread entirely.

After spending over $700 just for the service, they then called to inform me that I also needed new brakes AND rotors. Are you kidding me?

Sure enough, I actually did need new brakes and rotors after taking it to someone else I trusted (I wasn't about to let Maserati do the work for what they quoted me, THOUSANDS...)

Owned the car obviously over a year now but man did this ever put a bad taste in my mouth about them. You should never get this kind of news at your very first service...don't really care if your name is Maserati or not, if you can't compete with others that are well below your price category in terms of service and quality then you don't belong in the game.

2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4: Blu Emozione/Nero
2014 Jaguar F Type V8 S: Salsa Red/Jet
2011 Cadillac Escalade ESV Plat.: White Diamond/Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I know a guy with a 360 Ferrari that he reserves $5k a year for maintaince. Seems Maser is of same mind set! $700 for service? The avg. has been $350-$500. I got a garage quote of $250 but I'm going to dealer for 1st but never after that. I also have Jag F Type S and 1st was free(5000mi). I haven't asked what next will cost, have until Aug. I ranted on another thread about my current opinion of Maser, selling a car not ready and their inability to make timely corrections to problems they failed to discover before selling car. Still putting that crappy premium radio in '15's is prime example.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I don't think that most brands include offer complimentary first service.
My dealer informed me that it was not covered in the purchase price but a three (or maybe four) year maintenance package was available at additional cost.

I'm not surprised that the pads are worn and need replacement, but the rotors? That's unusual. Were they warped, or just worn down?

Those rotors are beautifully engineered pieces, I'm sure they are expensive. How much did it cost for the independent shop to replace them?

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Wow... anyone else up to 14,000 miles that needed new breaks?
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
1. 14k miles... but did your brakes squeak ??

2. The soonest I have ever seen brakes needed on a New Ghibli has been 12k miles, the most so far has been closer to 20k It's all in how the car is driven, drive it hard, brakes ( and tires ) are going to wear out sooner than a highway cruiser

3. For those that can get a FULL Annual service performed at that place around the corner that I trust , what exactly are they DOING for $250/$450/$650 etc? I am curious how they are getting the parts alone for that little, much less actually doing anything. Something tells me at best , they are drain/fill your oil. Are they performing any of the updated campaigns? Are they resetting your service light? Are they actually performing any of the checks, adjustments, etc that an actual Annual Service includes? ( I would put money on it that for $250.00 they are NOT treating the rubber body seals as an example )

4. $5000 a year for a 360 is a bit much, most 360 owners I run across are half that, with a belt service every 3 years at the most.

5. No car line truely gives you FREE Service as it's all rolled into the sales price of the car. Some, Maserati included, will sell you a Service Package when you purchase your car new... which is a good deal, when you consider what retial cost is vs the package up front.

6. To the OP, what did you end up paying for your full brake job? I assume the rotors were at or under spec, which is why they were replaced w. the worn pads?

S

"You have first to experience
what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
It appears that not a lot of thought went into the marketing side of this car other than a lower cost and wanting it sell a larger number than they have historically. When you go into a market you need to know the players, what they offer, and sell what makes you different or better. They aren't competing against Ferrari with this car. Their competition offers free maintenance including oil changes. Whats their sales pitch. Buy our car it may not be faster, and it may have a lot of issues, and of course we are going to not only charge you for things that others won't but at a much higher rate but it is a Maserati and it looks and sounds pretty good. Of course you will get to know your service department on a more personal level since you will see them more.
superdan and lucmed like this.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I would say the opposite, it appears not a lot of thought went into the purchase of the car. Maserati has never claimed to offer free service. when buying a car like this running costs need to be considered. not saying 14k miles for brakes and rotors is acceptable but you need to look at some historical data here. being a new model it will be hard to judge what the running costs of the car will be.

However look at the last gen QP and GT, the advice given in regards to these modes from owners on Maseratilife are to budget $5k per year. having had my qp for a year I would say that is right on the money. someone who was looking into a ghibli should take this into consideration. fortunately it seems the ghiblu running costs are substantially less....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJS13 View Post
It appears that not a lot of thought went into the marketing side of this car other than a lower cost and wanting it sell a larger number than they have historically. When you go into a market you need to know the players, what they offer, and sell what makes you different or better. They aren't competing against Ferrari with this car. Their competition offers free maintenance including oil changes. Whats their sales pitch. Buy our car it may not be faster, and it may have a lot of issues, and of course we are going to not only charge you for things that others won't but at a much higher rate but it is a Maserati and it looks and sounds pretty good. Of course you will get to know your service department on a more personal level since you will see them more.
sverzi likes this.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant9 View Post
I would say the opposite, it appears not a lot of thought went into the purchase of the car. Maserati has never claimed to offer free service. when buying a car like this running costs need to be considered. not saying 14k miles for brakes and rotors is acceptable but you need to look at some historical data here. being a new model it will be hard to judge what the running costs of the car will be.

However look at the last gen QP and GT, the advice given in regards to these modes from owners on Maseratilife are to budget $5k per year. having had my qp for a year I would say that is right on the money. someone who was looking into a ghibli should take this into consideration. fortunately it seems the ghiblu running costs are substantially less....
Not saying people shouldn't to a point have know what they were getting into. If they didn't shame on them. Just saying if you want to compete in this space long term some things are different than the QP and GT space. You no longer want to sell 5K cars a year worldwide but 50K and you are now are competing against Mercedes, jaguar etc with this model. 5K annually for maintenance may be fine for a GT but thats not the Ghibli market they are going after. Once the uniqueness and novelty wears off the model will have to compete and be rated on things like quality and maintenance costs against its pears. What will also be frustrating is high maintenance cost from new inexperienced dealers. This is not something buyers should have expected. They are taking pictures of everything and sending to Maserati for instructions to proceed. Mine was in for 22 days in a row the first month waiting for parts. They finally took a water pump from a front engine cover because none were available. they are already behind original sales expectations and if they don't meet expected sales this model will be gone. These are already one of the most discounted cars out there which doesn't bode well for the vehicle in the future. I do see some positives though as the number of fixes being released accelerates it appears that they seem to be trying to clean up the problems. Hope it continues.
lucmed likes this.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Agree, hopefully things get sorted out before the buying public loose faith...
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to giuseppeBoise
blunero, something is wrong here. In other threads we had people experiencing their first service and the average cost is about 350 so I definitely recommend what is was done to your car. The second wrong thing is about brakes and rotors. I never had a car including maserati that burns front and rear brakes at the same time, and also burning 4 rotors (front and rear at the same time)after 14k miles is not possible unless you had issues with pads that scratched them to the point they are not able to be surfaced.
in response to other who mentioned about 5k year for GT or QP I am wondering if I was the lucky guy or people just exaggerate because they like to do so. If you bought a junk QP yrs, you are right but in owning a QP executive for a long time and 50.000 miles I spent in average less than 2000 a year and this includes a 5500 dollars clutch every 20/25k miles.
don't believe on BS and check around, who buys maserati definitely has to make an higher budget for maintenance than a corolla but trying to be ridiculous is a different story
LMJS13 and Skipper like this.

Giuseppe