Is the Alfa Romeo Giulia the car the Ghibli should have been? - Maserati Ghibli Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Is the Alfa Romeo Giulia the car the Ghibli should have been?

After it’s recent debuted in June and first appearance at the Frankfurt motor show automotive journalists and enthusiasts have been in love with the new Alfa Romeo Giulia. The top of the line Guilia Quadrifoglio is equipped with a Twin turbo charged V6 similar too the Ghibli SQ4, but with a 510 Horsepower and 442 pound-feet of torque . Reportedly reaching 0-62 in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 191MPH. The vehicles are in different classes of course, the Ghibli is a mid size sedan competing against the BMW 5-Series, Audi A6, and Mercedes E-Class. While the Guilia Is competing with the likes of the BMW M3, Mercedes C63 AMG, and Cadillac ATS-V. It seams like the Giulia may be able too dethrone the BMW M3. The official Nürburgring time of 7:39: which is 9 seconds faster then the M4..

Alfa Romeo and Maserati are both part of FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) which makes me think why wasn’t this the Ghibli or is it a look into the future of improvements of what could come too the Ghibli in 2018? The guila has some serious hardware behind it also “the platform of the Giulia is a new design. It will eventually underpin most of Alfa Romeo’s upcoming lineup. For the Giulia Quadrifoglio, the platform incorporates double wishbone suspension up front and a multi-link setup in the rear. Thanks to some aluminum and even carbon fiber in the construction, the Giulia Quadrifoglio weighs in at just 3,360 lbs and has a 50:50 front-to-rear weight distribution. Carbon ceramic brakes and carbon fiber front seats from Sparco are also available.

A special driving mode selector called the Chassis Domain Control controls a number of the chassis systems such as the torque vectoring between the rear wheels, the active front splitter, plus the suspension, brakes, steering and stability systems. The various modes include Dynamic, Natural, Advanced Efficiency and Race.” Sounds like the recipe of some amazing driving dynamics too me. FCA has also improved on the cabin tech “In the cabin, the main controls, including the start button, are incorporated in the steering wheel. A display screen at the top of the dash displays most of the information, with the driver relying on a rotary dial and pad as well as voice recognition to control various functions. The Connect 3D Nav feature allows full connectivity with all mobile devices running Apple iOS and Android operating systems, while the navigation system employs high-resolution 3D TomTom maps and Dead Reckoning technology to compensate for areas with poor GPS reception. The premium audio system is from Harman Kardon and features 14 speakers.”

Most are already speculating this vehicle to be a hit and sell very well. Journalists are drooling over it and it’s getting much more attention then the Ghibli in its early days. I like the stats, performance, and cabin tech not sure about the looks. Something about the front seams off too me I’m sure it will sell like hot cakes in the European market not sure about the US only time will tell. I just feel like this is what the Ghibli should have been. Take everything here in a mid sized package and wrap it in that sexy Italian sheet metal and luxurious Italian leather then the Ghibli would have been on the car one can only dream of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa-romeo-giulia-2016-04_653.jpg (110.4 KB, 87 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I would expect this would be better than the Ghibli since it it priced much higher. If the Ghibli had been this most who own it would not have bought it due to price. Being a selling hit for the Alfa will entail much lower numbers than those expected from the lower priced Ghibli. Ghibli was made for mass production and marketing.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJS13 View Post
I would expect this would be better than the Ghibli since it it priced much higher. If the Ghibli had been this most who own it would not have bought it due to price. Being a selling hit for the Alfa will entail much lower numbers than those expected from the lower priced Ghibli. Ghibli was made for mass production and marketing.
I think you will find FCA has this Alfa priced equal to or below the Ghibli. The cars are designed differently ... Maserati is more the exotic touring performance car. All will migrate to Ghibli / QP semi automated production over time.

Take off the limiters, tune the similar V6 biturbo and shed some weight and the Ghibli would match up. As it is the Ghibli/SQ4 with optimized tune can approach and/or exceed 500 bhp and <4 second mark at its heavier weight.

FCA can only learn off the Ghibli launch and update technology accordingly.

In the end, Alfa will attract a different consumer IMO. This one also looks to be a RWD model.

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Grigio Mareata // Cuoio-Black Extended Leather Interior
Cold Weather - Luxury - Sports - Premium packages
20" Urano Polished Summer//20" FT-6 Gun Metal Winter
Gtechniq professional // 3M Crystalline 50%

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Garage
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpa1999 View Post
Wow what a machine. Pretty impressive i wonder what time the Ghibli made it around in. I've looked, but never found an official time.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Garage
I'm fairly certain it's the same V6 engine as the ghibli. It prob has a different cam and injectors and is tuned more aggressively but the block itself is the same Ferrari V6.

As you know our ghibli engines are very capable of pushing 500hp with a tuned ECU and some minor upgrades. My base ghibli should hit 500hp or really close once I complete my exhaust upgrade. I think I gained about 120whp so whatever that translates to engine horse power wise will be super close to 500 mark.

I've been in talk with 2 performance shops on west coast and we are working out a deal to upgrade the ghibli's intercooler which will guarantee the car going to 500+hp..

$89k for a base Alfa, with very little high end recognition or $65k for a discounted ghibli with tons of psychological respect from people. It's kinda a no brainer.

The Alfa is a nice car though, per the article it even beat the Audi R8 around the course which is impressive. But 75% of racing comes from the man behind the wheel, not the car. Even the fastest car is worthless with a poor pilot.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This thing looks like an inverted nose on a mustache. Not Alfa's finest IMO, the BMW 3 series is by far a better looking car.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 03:41 PM
rsm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Is the Guilia what the Ghibli should have been? In a word, No.

The Guilia is obviously designed to compete head-on with the 3-series and C-class; look at it, there is no question. However, it will steal away a nice chunk of otherwise 4 and 5-series customers as well. And the Quadrifoglio while squarely aimed at the M3 could also do some considerable damage to BMW's M4 and M5 market. I mean, there is no doubt the Quadrifloglio is on my radar and I'm currently looking at a B5.

The big question regarding the Ghibli: Can the Guilia draw the attention of 6-series customers? Not so much. The scale of style and luxury of the Ghibli is a league above the Guilia and this is what separates 5-series customers from 6-series customers and, in my view, Guilia customers from Ghibli customers. This is not to say that someone who chose a Ghibli wouldn't have otherwise chosen a Guilia, they are both beautifully designed, powerful automobiles. But, similar to the 5 and 6 series, they are firmly rooted in separate well established market segments targeting different mindsets and wallet sizes.

Fiat is playing out a **** of a chess game with the Germans. Personally, I consider the Guilia a strong, well focused move. And the Quadrifoglio backs it up with a heavy dose of intimidation. This car could be legendary.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I'm not looking at this car and thinking "****! Wish I'd waited for that", no.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianco View Post
I'm not looking at this car and thinking "****! Wish I'd waited for that", no.
i concur.. ill pass.. if i had to choose between the M3, C63 or Alpha, it would be is this order, with alfa last...

its nice and its prob powerful, but looks wise the M3 is superior, its $25k cheaper with proven quality. i would not sacrifice the looks for a few extra HP, esp when i can tune the M3 and pick up the extra HP.

i doubt bmw and MB are worried. my guess is this will have very little, if any impact on the germans. bmw have a gigantic following and are true enthusiast cars.. once a bimmer owner, always a bimmer owner for the most part. the italians wont break that loyalty. in addition to the ghibli i have a bmw, mb and lexus. i love my bmw and will always own one. with 93k on the odometer right now and never once has it had a single service issue other than routine maintence, very solid car which should easily hit 200k miles if i keep it that long.

DG EuroSpeed
www.dgeurospeed.com
e: info@dgeurospeed.com
t: (305) 985-0775

ECU Tuning / Brakes & Rotors / BMC Air Filters / Wheel Spacers / Carbon Fiber Body Kits / Genuine Replacement Parts + More!

Last edited by mrpa1999; 09-21-2015 at 10:21 AM.