2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why did you purchase a Ghibli?

Greetings everyone. I'm new here, but I've been lurking for awhile.

A bit about myself, I'm a 41 y/o Investment Manager living in a Chicago suburb.

I bought a Ghibli because I've always wanted an exotic daily driver and the Ghibli is the right combination of exclusivity, style, and price.

I also lurk the Maserati Life forums but I came here for more Ghibli-specific information. I'm curious to know why others chose to purchase their Ghibli.

Also, are there any other owners in the Chicago area? I've only seen a few on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maserati_mike View Post
Greetings everyone. I'm new here, but I've been lurking for awhile.

A bit about myself, I'm a 41 y/o Investment Manager living in a Chicago suburb.

I bought a Ghibli because I've always wanted an exotic daily driver and the Ghibli is the right combination of exclusivity, style, and price.

I also lurk the Maserati Life forums but I came here for more Ghibli-specific information. I'm curious to know why others chose to purchase their Ghibli.

Also, are there any other owners in the Chicago area? I've only seen a few on the road.
Hi Maserati Mike!

I bought it to replace the 911S. 4 door, more space, and still is considered a "sports" car. Have to admit. It is mainly the brand name and the style.
I am also in Chicago (city), but commute to Glenview for work. I have only seen maybe a handful of them in the 14 months of ownership.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Hi Maserati Mike!

I bought it to replace the 911S. 4 door, more space, and still is considered a "sports" car. Have to admit. It is mainly the brand name and the style.
I am also in Chicago (city), but commute to Glenview for work. I have only seen maybe a handful of them in the 14 months of ownership.
Glenvieh eh? That's not far from where I live in Wilmette.

How many miles are you putting on your Ghibli? I assume it's your daily driver

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maserati_mike View Post
Glenvieh eh? That's not far from where I live in Wilmette.

How many miles are you putting on your Ghibli? I assume it's your daily driver
I got about 12,000 on it now. but will probably reduce it to about 6000 to 8000 a year since I just got a SUV and will be splitting the mileage between the 2.

Eurodynamic tuning is coming on 11/22. I am planning to go out and meet the guys (still debating if I want to tune or not). Maybe you should come out and meet a few other Ghibli drivers.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Honestly, the price was too good to pass up.

It helped that we were ready to move on from our '07 Quattroporte and had prior brand experience. I do like the exclusivity as compared to the zillions of BMW, MBZ, Porsche, and Audi you see on the road (in the same class of vehicle).
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I purchased mine on the value of the deal alone. I have been an avid MB, BMW, and Porsche driver for the past 2 decades (in my 40s now) and always made a purchase purely on the value of a deal. This deal was decent enough for me to even trade in a car that was only 14 months old with less than 10k miles on it ...

Bottom line, while I only have less than 700 miles on mine, I am highly confident that I will be a Maser driver for life now ... my wife can stay her MBs!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Initially started looking at the Ghibli because of the deals, as I was planning on ordering an M3; I've been an avid BMW and Porsche fan in the past. I'm coming from a F30 3series, and had a 997.2 turbo and 987.2 Cayman S prior to that. I've obviously been moving to more practical daily drivers; I'm in my upper 30's now and starting a family soon.
After the deals got me into the showroom, I really grew to like the style of the Ghibli, along with the interior touches and that killer exhaust note! I soon came to realize that the Ghibli was the perfect exotic, but practical, car. So just about a month later, I've got over 800 miles on my SQ4 and am loving the Ghibli!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
I wasn't looking for a Ghibli ... I wanted something unique, with power and sound. I started by looking at a few 2-3 year old Ferrari and Lamborghini's, then drifted towards more practical in direction and really liked the Maserati Gran Turismo.

I was negotiating on the one with everything I wanted ... it was dead of winter ... snow was falling and figured it was best time to negotiate.

By chance, I watched this video on the Maserati website.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meOfq-onODQ

Something happened ... I went to get that shiny GT and somehow signed on the line for my SQ4 ... all that I was looking for plus more practical AWD.

No regrets ... other than faster depreciation than that GT. As a side note, If the right deal comes along I might get that GT - MC or new Alfieri and pass the Ghibli to my wife.

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Grigio Mareata // Cuoio-Black Extended Leather Interior
Cold Weather - Luxury - Sports - Premium packages
20" Urano Polished Summer//20" FT-6 Gun Metal Winter
Gtechniq professional // 3M Crystalline 50%

Last edited by BeerGuy; 11-02-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: updated video link.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I'm 19 about to turn 20 tomorrow, I own multiple online businesses splitting time in Minnesota and Florida.

Originally i was looking into a BMW M3. I was looking for a sedan that was unique and sporty. Something i could take to cars and coffee, drive around town with friends, and show up to a important business meeting as i advance my career. I also wanted to get something with all wheel drive incase i go back to Minnesota during the winter. I decided to check out the Ghibli since it pretty much checked all the boxes. Test drove it and fell in love with the sound and style. Getting a good deal also helped push me to get the car as well.

Its a great exotic daily driver. Overall i'm happy, there are just a few things i would change like a little bit more power, more space for rear passengers, and some more tech like adaptive cruise control. I've driven to Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assistant would have been amazing for those drives. Ghibli's a great car nothing else really much like it.
Chris Aune likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
It was less expensive to run than my 07 quattroporte. And it has a more modern design, AWD, faster and more practical for daily use. Plus the rear seats fold, which has been useful on quite a few occasions.

At the same time it still has a unique presence on the road and you don't see them everyday.