Need new tires on leased car... do I have to replace with same tires? - Maserati Ghibli Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need new tires on leased car... do I have to replace with same tires?

My lease ends in about a year, but I'm due for new tires. The OEM ones are Pirelli P-Zero summer tires with speed rating of 99Y/100Y. I don't expect to do any high performance driving in the next year and would like to spend as little as reasonable possible on new tires. Tirerack has the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2 for about $100 less per tire, but they are a W rated all-season tire. The lease bank is Ally. Will I run into any problems returning the car at the end of the lease with these? Or do they have to be the same speed rating and season (summer vs all season)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Maserati uses OE Marked tires.
this means that the tires themselves have MGT cast into the side wall.
"Maserati Genuine Tire"

Ally is not responsible for the vehicle at the end of the term, Maserati assumes the risk.

So the short answer...
Yes, they will be looking for things like this, but truthfully the inspection is performed by a third party, so it MAY slip past them.

I would say that all four should be matching as this would lessen the obvious.

Also - Speed ratings are kind of important.

We live in a very litigious society.
if you put sub par tires on your car, and someone dies as a result, there is a .00001 % it would come back to bite you in the ass.

Please note:
I am coming at this from a Dealer perspective, and probably being overly cautious, but in this day and age, you just never know.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the info, very helpful.

But I'm still not clear which tires to get. I searched throughout the web and about half the people say they only care about tread depth, and half say that speed rating has to be preserved. However, I still haven't read anybody get fined for not having the same speed rating. That said, I'm asking here because I don't know if the Maserati dealership will be more picky than other dealerships. If I get the Ultra High Performance A/S W rating tires, they'll still have tread when I return the car next year. If I get the UHP W summer tires, they'll most likely be down to 4/32" by then. Same with OEM Pirellis. I don't want to slap on brand new tires just to return the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl_Punishment View Post
Maserati uses OE Marked tires.
this means that the tires themselves have MGT cast into the side wall.
"Maserati Genuine Tire"

Ally is not responsible for the vehicle at the end of the term, Maserati assumes the risk.

So the short answer...
Yes, they will be looking for things like this, but truthfully the inspection is performed by a third party, so it MAY slip past them.

I would say that all four should be matching as this would lessen the obvious.

Also - Speed ratings are kind of important.

We live in a very litigious society.
if you put sub par tires on your car, and someone dies as a result, there is a .00001 % it would come back to bite you in the ass.

Please note:
I am coming at this from a Dealer perspective, and probably being overly cautious, but in this day and age, you just never know.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
let me try and be as clear as i can be (which will be muddy as ****)

WE don't really know what to advise you.
Ally isn't who you need to worry about.
its the third party company that inspects the car.
so it's completely luck of the draw if the inspector will be anal enough to look at speed rating and tread depth or just tread depth.

I would opt for tread depth.

the preservation of the speed rating is simply me being overly cautious.
but i think of it like this:
you wouldnt put ballet flats on a track runner, nor would you put high heels on a football player.
pick the appropriate shoe for the circumstance.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Why don't you just have the dealership do the tires for you? I know at my dealership, they will price match against local and internet prices (they even looked at prices while I was there for the best deal). That way, you will have a receipt from the dealership to show the inspector. When I have my leases, I let the dealership do everything! that way, I can go back on them if there are any issues like that.