Officially Frustrated - Cylinder Misfire? - Maserati Ghibli Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Officially Frustrated - Cylinder Misfire?

Let me start by saying I still absolutely love my new S Q4. If I had to make the decision again, I would still absolutely buy this car.

That said, I am officially frustrated. I've had all of the typical issues everyone else on the blog has had i.e. (poor premium sound quality (need for sub insulation), need to replace satelite antenna due to terrible reception.

Additionally, I've had an annoying rattle around the steering column that comes about under early acceleration (approx 1,500-2,500 rpm). This wasn't a major concern considering 2 separate dealers (Palm Beach & Fort Lauderdale), neither of whom I purchased my car from, warned me about it during test drives and said it was completely normal on the Q4's they drove. Both dealers agreed this is a common issue, so I was prepared for it before taking delivery. Apparently it's something about the turbos engaging??? Both reached out to Maserati NA about the rattle and apparently were told Maserati is aware of it but will not be "redesigning the car", so basically deal with it! Again, not the end of the world, but another annoyance for a 3 week old, relatively expensive car.

My frustration (which I chalked up to typical Maserati quirks to this point) came to a head earlier today when my check engine light came on. I went to accelerate getting onto a highway ramp and felt a massive hesitation from the car (the normal roar sounded almost wounded), and the check engine light came on. I immediately drove the car to my local Maserati service department (luckily only a couple of miles away), and they ran a diagnostic test that said a cylinder misfired?! I know next to nothing about cars, but this seems strange for a 3 week old $95k car. I wasn't able to get a full service appointment until next thursday (a 6 day wait to add insult to injury), but they reset the light and the tech told me it was fine to drive the car. He blamed bad fuel as the likely cause (I absolutely have only put in 93+ super on EVERY fill up). That said, the service manager did not seem convinced that was the issue, leaving me a bit uneasy. I know sensors tend to come on all the time for non issues on many cars these days, but it was the drastic hesitation I felt from the car that has me concerned.

I apologize for the rambling, but I wanted to share this with you guys to see if you've encountered anything similar. I don't post on here often, but I check in on the blog multiple times a day and value any input. Again, still love this car, but coming from MB, Audi and Porsche I'm a bit disappointed. I prepared myself for the "usual" Maserati quirks, but for god sakes, my range rover sport seems bullet proof compared to my Ghibli at this point! Again, sorry for the ramble. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Moose22; 01-31-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:29 PM
rsm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The steering column rattle would bother me a lot. Most S Q4's don't have the problem, thus it's not something inherent in the design and can be fixed. I recommend contacting your dealer and demand they fix it -- it's not "normal", they can't use that excuse. If they refuse, take it up directly with Maserati. Report the dealer to the BBB. Make life a little less pleasant for them until they fold.

My only hesitation with this approach, however, is everything about the Ghibli is new. The technicians aren't experienced with it and Maserati hasn't worked out standard procedures for such glitches. In any case I still recommend penetrating the "normal" line of defense and have them at least try and diagnose the problem.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:36 PM

misfiring is not normal by any circumstance.

if you don't get a resolution take it up with maserati.
if that doesnt work report dealer to BBB like rsm has mentioned.

07 GranSport
08 RS4
13 ML63

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 AM
MGE

wow thats a bummer. Sorry to hear that. That dealer should of taken your car in PRONTO! thats ridiculous. They really didn't have any choice in the matter I would of handed them the keys, called my wife and gotten picked up and then called Maserati Corporate and unloaded.

As far as that rattle goes, I had the same experience. So I test drove three different ones and they all had it. Dealer told me the same thing... something about the turbos. So I just took it at face value and decided to accept the car this way. I still hear it from time to time but that awful "premium stereo" drowns out the noise for me.. lol... I think it effects all the Ghiblis, just a matter of listening closely. Some people may not identify it right away or at all I guess for me the explanation seemed plausible and that allowed me to essentially forget about it.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks MGE, glad to know I wasn't just hearing an imaginary rattle! lol Like you said, it's really not bad or any sort of a big issue.

Quick update on the cylinder misfire (which feels like a much bigger issue). I ran my gas tank to nearly empty, then filled up at my usual station (I filled up at a different station prior to the misfire). So far, it seems to be running normal again....no hesitations and the growl is back. Fingers crossed, maybe the tech was right and it was just poor gas quality. I'll keep everyone posted.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM
MGE

Moose22 do you easily find Octane 93? The standard around me is 91 octane and I am finding 93 really challenging to find, and I live in supercar central.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM
rsm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
In CA we only have 91... excepting select 76 stations selling 100 octane at $6+
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 PM
MGE

Yeah thats all I'm finding here in So. Florida.... So I've just been filling up with 91, but I believe the manual calls for 93. I hadn't really thought much about it until I just saw Moose22's post about only using 93 that I am now slightly concerned.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Can't believe the manual says 93 octane required given that in the states 93 octane is not nearly as common as 91.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
what about gas additives? anything that might help? I found one gas station with 93 so guess that will be my place!!!