User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brand new 2017 Ghibli S, steering wheel off center

I bought this 2017 Ghibli S from Maserati of Anaheim Hills. 2 weeks ago I took it in to have the rear tires replaced under recall and the TSB completed for the rear end. I just noticed a few days ago the steering wheel is off center. I have to turn the wheel slightly right to go straight (approx. 2-3 degrees). If I center the wheel, I go into oncoming traffic on the left which tells me it has nothing to do with the crown in the road. I haven't hit anything. No pot holes, not curbs. I only have 600 miles on the car.
I tried to schedule service with Maserati South Bay in Torrance (closer to my home) but was immediately threatened by the service manager that as soon as they put the car on the alignment rack, no matter what they find, they're charging me for an alignment. I have Maserati NA on the case now and hopefully, they'll come through but what a terrible first few months of ownership. I've never had a new car out of alignment and I've owned well over 20. Very disappointed.
Any similar experiences in which you could shed some light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"but what a terrible first few months of ownership"???

Anything else an issue or is it just what you mentioned?

Did you buy the car brand new?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I bought this car brand new.
As if the alignment issue, the TSB for the rear end, and the recalled tires wasn't enough, I had to take the car back to the dealer a few weeks after I bought it because I noticed a huge spot of overspray and missing paint on the front bumper. It looked like the bumper had been repaired but the dealer told me to expect shoddy paint work from the factory. They had the car for a few days and it looks better but still an obvious paint defect to a trained eye.

I heard back from Maserati NA regarding the alignment issue. They basically told me to pound sand with my local dealer or drive all the way back to Anaheim and try to get that dealer to check the alignment, but zero guarantees they'll fix without charging me.
THIS IS A NEW CAR, PEOPLE. A BRAND NEW CAR. I'VE HIT NOTHING AND THE ALIGNMENT IS OFF!
If you're on the fence buying a Maserati, don't walk, run away. $80,000.00 for this nonsense?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellerZ06 View Post
As if the alignment issue, the TSB for the rear end, and the recalled tires wasn't enough, I had to take the car back to the dealer a few weeks after I bought it because I noticed a huge spot of overspray and missing paint on the front bumper. It looked like the bumper had been repaired but the dealer told me to expect shoddy paint work from the factory. They had the car for a few days and it looks better but still an obvious paint defect to a trained eye.

I heard back from Maserati NA regarding the alignment issue. They basically told me to pound sand with my local dealer or drive all the way back to Anaheim and try to get that dealer to check the alignment, but zero guarantees they'll fix without charging me.
THIS IS A NEW CAR, PEOPLE. A BRAND NEW CAR. I'VE HIT NOTHING AND THE ALIGNMENT IS OFF!
If you're on the fence buying a Maserati, don't walk, run away. $80,000.00 for this nonsense?
Some dealer networks are cagey about snagging issues particularly those items that should have been caught by yourself at PDI, that is why they want you to take it back to where you bought it. Did you pay full list or a discount? Were these items identified at collection for example the obvious pain defect?

If you don't patronise your local dealer don't expecting them to patronize you back there mate.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
As if the alignment issue, the TSB for the rear end, and the recalled tires wasn't enough, I had to take the car back to the dealer a few weeks after I bought it because I noticed a huge spot of overspray and missing paint on the front bumper. It looked like the bumper had been repaired but the dealer told me to expect shoddy paint work from the factory.
First, I don't understand how you're bent about a TSB and the tires. TSB's happen with nearly every brand / model. As for the tires, that's not Maserati's fault, that's on the tire mfg. As the owner of "20+" previous cars, you should, more than others, realize this.
Second, I can't imagine noticing paint defects "a few weeks" after you bought it. It's incumbent upon you, the purchaser, to do a pre-deliver acceptance inspection. That being said, your dealership sucks. Nearly every Ghibli that I've seen has nearly flawless paint and finish. Claiming that it's a factory norm is BS.

Good luck - hope you can get it resolved.

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Emozione Blue / Nero
Sport and Premium packages
20" Urano Polished
Red calipers
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminAustin View Post
First, I don't understand how you're bent about a TSB and the tires. TSB's happen with nearly every brand / model. As for the tires, that's not Maserati's fault, that's on the tire mfg. As the owner of "20+" previous cars, you should, more than others, realize this.
Second, I can't imagine noticing paint defects "a few weeks" after you bought it. It's incumbent upon you, the purchaser, to do a pre-deliver acceptance inspection. That being said, your dealership sucks. Nearly every Ghibli that I've seen has nearly flawless paint and finish. Claiming that it's a factory norm is BS.

Good luck - hope you can get it resolved.
Valid questions but I'll attempt to explain. First, I took delivery at night, park in a dimly lit garage, and work 50-60 hours a week. I didn't have time to fine tooth comb the car under proper lighting. I should have but I didn't. Lesson learned. When I finally had time, I noticed the defect. You'll find quite a few posts on this forum regarding paint issues. Some worse than others. The service manager walked me around the lot pointing out known and typical paint defects that plague ghiblis. It's truly shameful. For instance, the horizontal face of painted bumper just below the grille, if you look underneath, Maserati doesn't paint this section. It's bare bumper with clearcoat. Unbelievable.
I'm bent because a TSB and recall is not only inconvenient but it was 85 miles round-trip and 3 days driving around a Jeep as a loaner car.
Back to the problem at hand. I've found quite a few posts on this forum regarding poor alignment on an otherwise new car whether it be alignment out of spec or recalled shocks. I'm curious how this was resolved.
Thanks in advance!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! Are they putting out a car which already defective? What does that mean, getting you on accident?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unbelievable.. I see this for the first time..

Los Angeles..
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I've found quite a few posts on this forum regarding poor alignment on an otherwise new car whether it be alignment out of spec or recalled shocks. I'm curious how this was resolved.
Thanks in advance!
I wonder if the paint quality varies by batch? The ones I've seen (we have a fairly large dealership here), have all looked very good. I've never noticed any problems on the bumpers. I just went and checked mine (you made me curious), and the paint beneath my bumper is fine other than the normal road rash that it gets. It's definitely painted and cleared just like the facia of the bumpers. In fact, I'm VERY pleased with the paint on mine.

As you've probably read, the vast majority of the alignment problems stemmed from the front strut tower problems. I do recall one thread where an aftermarket shop couldn't get a car into spec. I can't remember how it was resolved. Of the problem vehicles, most people seem to have been able to get MNA to authorize strut tower repair after the dealership verifies alignment problems and/or sees cracks. The difficulty of getting the project approved varies by dealership. I'd recommend trying to reach out to owners in your area and get a feel for which dealership is the most customer friendly. Hope it works out! Once sorted, these cars are an absolute joy to drive. I use mine as a daily driver, and look forward to the commute every day.

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Emozione Blue / Nero
Sport and Premium packages
20" Urano Polished
Red calipers
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I have bianco from'14 and paint seems normal. My Ftype has metallic and the finish is better. I hear so much bull about dealers, they can really ruin the experience, especially Chrysler dealers selling expensive cars. I've been lucky having a Ferrari dealer but their price seems high for labor as a trade off, but they are used to dealing with Italian companies, they really hate maserati!