14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sold my Ghibli back to the dealer

After a very frustrating month owning my SQ4 I sold it back to the dealer. My problems were the same as others on the boards. I figured as each day passes and I get more and more frustrated I'd just lose more money. I don't mind eating the depreciation as long as it's a fun ride.

The throttle delay is ridiculous. I came from a manual transmission CTS-V so I thought maybe it was due to the transmission being different. Wrong. There is NO way this car could ever be run on the track.

Brakes were EXTREMELY touchy. Exact opposite of the throttle.

Alarm would go off for no reason. Luckily it was doing nothing in my garage and not out in public. Oh wait, it did happen in public. Embarrassing.

About 3/4 of the time the initial start up was really loud and had a rattle that made it sound like a cheap import modified by the kid down the street. It actually scared my daughter once. Embarrassing.

About 1/2 the time when you'd open the driver's door and the windows would go down slightly for air pressure the passenger's window wouldn't go back up. As you'd go down the road you could hear the wind noise and then put the window up manually.

Things like the trunk lid being so flimsy and the doors being light aren't a huge deal but should be better than this on a $90K vehicle.

Handling was great. Styling was great and the GUI was very good.

I'm bummed this didn't work out. Came home with a 2014 CTS-V sport. Other than Cadillac's CUE system it excels in every department the Maserati was deficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
What did the dealer say or do to resolve all your issues? Did they buy back at the price you paid?
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 PM
K-A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Geez. I really hope those reliability woes are just early model issues and they resolve them quickly. It's ironic (or odd) how it works in that the MORE you spend on a car, the more reliability issues are accepted, i.e if a Gran Turismo isn't a reliable car, that might not put off its affluent clientele so much as they want that car for the "sex appeal" and exotic rarity.

If you release a $65K (base) car, and it is a reliability disaster, well then, sorry to say it, but even with a Maserati badge, it's simply a piece of junk (and I am not calling the Ghibli that to any measure, at least not now). The MSRP is too accessible and it's in a segment too designed for mass market use to have all the quality quirks of the more expensive therefore more rare and exotic models.

SOME reliability issues are even acceptable, and with the Maserati badge and prestige can be looked over as people who get a Ghibli are looking for something more rare and less clinical than the rest of the segment offerings (therefore being "a little less reliable" might be passable). But it can't go too far at all off the deep end there.

I would love to know how much the dealer gave you, or at least what % of depreciation you took on the buyback. Might give us a good basis idea on what early used models may be getting purchased for.

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 10:42 PM
rsm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I dunno man. I can understand your frustration. Indeed a $90k+ car should not have quality issues like the ones you listed. Worse, I imagine most of those issues are pretty common, my q4 has/had some of them. But they're minor and the dealer is responsible for fixing the unintended ones. On the whole the Q4 remains a badass mofo IMO. And no offense, but the CTS? There are at least 20 or so cars I'd consider before a Cadillac.
Ahmad AmD likes this.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I guess I would say selling the car back seems a bit extreme. At the end of the day, I knew that I was signing up to be an "early adopter" and that this car was not going to have the same sense of "togetherness" as the BMW I replaced it with. Most of the issues I have encountered (with the possible exception of the premium sound quality being crappy) feel like issues that can and will be resolved shortly.

1) The satellite radio issue is certainly something that will be fixed with a better antenna and I have complete confidence that will come soon.
2) I have encountered the issue with the window on the passenger side not going all the way up when entering the car just once. Clearly that is a software issue that will be fixed with an update at some point as it is highly unlikely to be a mechanical issue.
3) I have not had the car alarm issue butI am sure that is also a software issue that can be tuned with an update.

Sure there are other things that are a bit less polished. The way the door sounds when it closes, the way the trunk pops up like it is loaded on springs and bouncing up and down when released as opposed to gliding up nicely like most other cars I own. The ride is a bit harsher than needed (that really bugs my wife). And so on. But, clearly to get this sort of performance at this price point, they focused on the things that would deliver against the goal and I think for the most part they made the right choices.

I would never consider selling my car back. It's not a perfect car but I it is what I expected....
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Geez...that's extreme. Did you get a lemon? Sorry to hear. I know a Ferrari owner who bought the sq4 and likes it except some minor nuisances. Even my hardcore 911 Porsche friends were blown away driving my ghibli. Relative to my 540i the ghibli is an absolute beast. Fingers crossed hoping that new issues don't arise.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I had an issue with the window going back down after opening the pass side door and then trying to close it. The window wouldn't go down like it usually does. I had to open it to close the door. Small, but annoying. I've also had the dealership fix the following things 1) broken Sirius xm radio 2) insulated rattling subwoofer that was actually ripped and replaced

Only remaining issue is poor Sirius reception and squealing brembos. Otherwise pretty solid. Being a first year adopter takes some patience I guess. Still the car is well worth the hassle IMO.

A CTSv is a completely different car, more of a power brute without any of the Italian flair. To each his own.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Agreed to each his own but have to agree with RSM there would be a lot of other cars on my list before the CTS V for that price point. TC can you advise what other cars you considered before settling on the CTS V?
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I noticed this guys post on the Maseratilife forum and noticed he is from the middle of Wisconsin. Just looking at a map, the nearest Maserati dealership is a hike, like more then an hour, so I'm sure that played a role in his decision.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Am actually curious what the dealer gave you for the car when you sold it back.

2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4: Blu Emozione/Nero
2014 Jaguar F Type V8 S: Salsa Red/Jet
2011 Cadillac Escalade ESV Plat.: White Diamond/Brown