LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ambient Lighting?

Hello all,

Does the Ghibli have ambient lighting inside? You know, the kind in Audis and Bimmers where there's light coming from underneath the wood trim on the doors and under the footwells at all time? I love this feature as it adds a very nice touch to the interior of any car. My '07 Audi A6 had this and it made the interior feel even nicer than it already was. I think the Quattroporte has this feature.

Anyhow, I have yet to visit my dealership to check out the Ghibli; so I thought I'd ask you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah I was wondering the same.
In the owner's manual, it says we are supposed to have ambient lighting under the driver's and passenger's dash boards, but don't see it.
Anyone know if US variant have different lighting?
TheChemist likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Interesting. I would wanna know if there's ambient lighting in the car. Would also like to know of there is indeed ambient lighting, what color is the light ?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The ambient lighting that I have seen is white color in the following areas:
  1. two white LED lights in the front light dome
  2. two white LED lights in the rear light dome
  3. four white LED lights, one in each inside door handle cavity
  4. White ambient lighting in the driver and front passenger footwells
in two Ghibli S Q4 that I 've driven at night (I'm still waiting for my own car to arrive) there was NO ambient lighting bars in the doors (except for what I mentioned above for door handles) and NO ambient lighting bars in the dash or the sides of center console (which is a bit disappointing for a car in this price range). I'll confirm when I take delivery of my car early next week.

Regards,
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanzunator View Post
The ambient lighting that I have seen is white color in the following areas:
[LIST=1] [*]two white LED lights in the front light dome [*]two white LED lights in the rear light dome [*]four white LED lights, one in each inside door handle cavity [*]White ambient lighting in the driver and front passenger footwells
Thanks for the info! Would be great if you can take some photos of the interior of your car at night to show how the ambient lighting looks.

Do you have to manually switch the ambient lighting on? Or does it automatically light up (I'm guessing when the headlights are on?)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperchien View Post
Thanks for the info! Would be great if you can take some photos of the interior of your car at night to show how the ambient lighting looks.

Do you have to manually switch the ambient lighting on? Or does it automatically light up (I'm guessing when the headlights are on?)
I'll take pictures and post them here as soon as I get my car.
The ambient lighting comes on based on the position of the main lights switch in either of On, Auto and position/parking positions.

There are two dimmer switches to the left of the steering wheel on the lower dash: one dimmer controls the brightness of the gauges back lighting and the other dimmer controls the ambient lighting brightness. A nice touch compared to my current car (BMW) which has only one dimmer control for all interior lights.

Regards,
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM

just to add to my previous comment, in the following picture (from Ghibli owner's manual) you can see the location of ambient lighting (blue highlighted areas). In the two Ghibli S Q4 that I drove at night, the red areas that I highlighted were missing (no ambient lighting in those areas).

I have not been able to confirm if this is a mistake in the owner's manual or an option package add-on. As I mentioned earlier I'll let you know if my car has them or not as soon as it is delivered next week.

Regards,
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesunglass View Post
Yeah I was wondering the same.
In the owner's manual, it says we are supposed to have ambient lighting under the driver's and passenger's dash boards, but don't see it.
Anyone know if US variant have different lighting?
So this is what I meant.
The owner's manual indicates it has ambient light all the way from right to left on the dash boards. However they are not in my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ambient_light.jpg (261.8 KB, 127 views)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:21 PM

hmm, that's odd.. did any of you check with the dealer to confirm this? if there is really indeed ambient lighting in the red circled areas, it would make the interior look much nicer
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
For US models, there is no ambient lighting on the dash where those dots are. Maybe they are on non US models? I don't know. It seems to be an odd place for them, however.

The ambient light level is controlled by a little rotating wheel next to the instrument cluster light level adjustment, which are both under the start button.