Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

Not so obvious features!

106K views 152 replies 76 participants last post by  Spencer 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a thread where we mention features that may not be immediately noticeable when you get the car.

Here are a few...

1. Pressing the lower left corner of the GPS screen let you choose between arrival time, distance to arrival and a third option I forget.

2. Pressing the lower right corner of the GPS screen allows you to see various speed information.

3. Pressing the upper left corner where it show the next direction it will allow you to advance through the rest of the directions. Helpful if you want to know how the GPS is routing you.

4. Pressing the headlight switch will turn on the rear fog lights.

Anyone have anything else to add?

#90 ·
Just found this one last night!!

Late last night, here in NJ the temperature hit 30 degrees. As I turned on the car, the instrument cluster flashed a warning.... "Possible Ice on the Road" then a little yellow idiot light went on, and stayed on, that looked like a little road with skid marks running through it. That was cool!Although I guess once winter here really hits, that little idiot light will be on all the time....>:D

I like seeing these little nuances pop up when you least expect it. ;)

Steve

#92 ·
Yep, better safe than sorry ... that time of year in the North East/MidAtlantic. I think once it drops below 37F (3C) it will kick in to alert you of the potential for ice on the road.

I took the car to work on Friday ... below 40F and a few wet leaves and dampness on pavement ... car was back to it's old tricks of transferring power back and forth to different wheels due to wheel slippage.

That means time to take off the Pirelli PZero's and replace with the Sotto 3's wheel set tomorrow. The PZero's are only rated down to 45F so they become hard and loose their grip regardless of ICE mode.

Reactions: Spsesq and Mangirek
#93 · (Edited)
I don't think that I.C.E have anything to do with outside temperature like some reviewers have written.

As far as I know, the Increased Control and Efficiency (ICE) strategy is more like a "eco mode". It's a function aimed at reducing consumption, emissions and noise. It delivers a softer throttle pedal response for smooth driving, cancels the turbocharger's over-boost function and keeps the exhaust's Sport flaps closed until 5000 rpm. It also adjusts the gear changes to make them softer and slower and reduces torque at each gear's take-up point.

Basically I.C.E. is a upshift-early, save gas mode.

#95 · (Edited)
That being said, ICE means "Increased Control and Efficiency" ... the second word being "control" I would guess this mode is far more efficient in winter conditions than the normal or sport mode ... or am I completly wrong here?

#97 ·
It's a very confusing feature.
My service guy at Maserati just told me that I.C.E. is for when driving on ICE!!
He went on to say that it basically bypasses the first gear and go straight to second gear.
There is nothing to do with fuel efficiency. He told me to use the normal (non sport) setting for that.

I believe he is wrong but it would be nice to get an official word on this.

#98 ·
With all joking aside, this is what the ICE mode is for (from a reviewer in a magazine):

" If you really don't want to bend an expensive Italian fender, the absolute safest way to drive in snow is in I.C.E. mode, which does not mean ice. In fact, it means "Increased Control and Efficiency," which is apparently how you say "eco mode" in Italian. Put the car in I.C.E. mode, and the transmission upshifts as early as possible, so you're never in the meat of the powerband. Combined with stability control on snow and ice this makes it virtually impossible to upset the car with the throttle. It's like driving with a brick under the pedal. The cars just putter along on their merry way. It's boring, but being as safe as possible usually is."

To read the entire review of driving in the Italian Alps with the Ghibli, read the following review:

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1401_2014_maserati_ghibli_quattroporte_second_drive/#ixzz3GnhRFmKg

Steve

#104 ·
Fuel mileage has seemed to increase as I have put more miles on the car..... I was getting the same results, if not a little less than you are. Currently receiving closer to 20 MPG with no real difference in driving habits.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#110 ·
After 15 months of driving, 1/3 local in town and 2/3 freeway, my car averages around 27 mpg. I use sport mode when on city streets and when caught in slow freeway and normal mode for regular freeway cruising.
I am amazed to have such good consistent results, which are better than the posted mpg estimates!

#105 ·
Now that I'm approaching 2000 miles, it seems as though my car has started to break in (fortunately not down;) nicely. Mileage has increased to over 24 mpg on highway and avg 14-15 in city, (auto).

I ran a non statistically valid test last 2-weeks
- Sport mode for the first week back and forth to work and "play" which averaged 13.5 mpg

- ICE (old man mode) for the second full week averaging 19.0 mpg. I suspect the combination higher RPM's and less "incentive" to hear the rpms in sport contributed to this difference.

Sport, ICE, or Auto ... with cold weather here for my early morning commute, I changed out to the winter Pirelli Sotto 3 tires on spare 20" rims. Noticed an immediate reduction in cold tire slippage. And another positive, I installed the OEM Maserati TPMS and the car immediately learned and connected to the second set ... which was good news.

#109 ·
Whilst not comparable for a couple of reasons. Its Imperial measurement and my car is a Diesel.
However having covered 3,500 miles I have averaged 32mpg, and according to the trip computer on a run I can get well over 40mpg!!!
With fuel prices in the UK that sort of economy comes in useful.

#114 ·
4. Pressing the headlight switch will turn on the rear fog lights.

Got my 2017 Ghibli S a week ago and read the manual and have been baffled by these "rear fog lights." I don't have a clue what these are, where they are, and have pushed that headlight switch in numerous times.

I almost feel like it is a late April Fool's day joke, lol. Do these rear dogs lights really exist, lol???

#115 ·
They do work but only when your headlights are on. If in Auto then I think your engine needs to be running or ignition to the ON position. I think it also lights up when it's on too but my car's in the garage so I don't know if it's the centre of button or on the dash,

Regards,

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.