LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
HQ1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Owning an Italian Car -- Pros and Cons

Okay, those on this forum already know about the S Q4's pros and cons, but here is an article that pretty much lists them. Just for fun, I have summarized them below. My take is that this article will reinforce the enthusiast but will deter any posers

Or, as colleyt quoted from Top Gear: "Having a Maserati is like having a 2 year old; its annoying a lot of the time but if someone tried to take it from you, you'd kill em"

Maserati Ghibli, Quattroporte wear Chrysler parts - chicagotribune.com

"Maserati Ghibli, Quattroporte wear Chrysler parts -- long on style and performance but short on interior refinement."

Bottom Line -- buyers will take home something sexy and powerful with poor attention to detail. Isn't that what owning an Italian car is all about?

Competition
Ghibli -- it's aimed at high-end versions of BMW's 5 and 6 Series sedans, Mercedes' E-Class and CLS, and Audi's A6/A7 siblings
Quattroporte -- competitors include sedans such as the Audi S8, Porsche Panamera GTS and Mercedes S63 AMG

Cons
1. Third-rate plastic pieces that Maserati grabbed out of Chrysler's corporate parts bin
2. Cheapo bits come from Chrysler by way of Fiat
3. Controlled by a finicky shifter or huge paddles mounted to the steering column
4. The lightweight AWD system in the S Q4 mostly leaves the front wheels out of the equation (HQ1 - all the better to steer you with my dear)
5. The cars' steering system ... feels oddly numb and rubbery.
6. Disappointing interiors, surprisingly devoid of charm or sophistication
7. Excessive use of cheap plastic throughout the cabin
8. The touch-screen infotainment system is fine in a Dodge but not worthy of an Italian sports sedan
9. Features such as radar-based cruise control, lane departure warning and collision-mitigation braking aren't even offered
10. Willing to trade a bit of (performance) for a more complete, luxurious car that doesn't make us wish for a shot of grappa every time we go to use the blinkers
11.Maserati has some work to do, and here's hoping it resolves these issues soon

Pros
1.The car is an ample seductress that should have no trouble luring in mid-size luxury car buyers looking to make a statement about their individuality.
2. No (competior is) as visceral on the road as the Maserati, and that's where its advantage lies.
3. Like the best of the full-size performance sedans on the market, this car feels much smaller than it is.
4. All the lusty performance and high style expected from a brand with a loose connection to Ferrari
5. This is a lively yet confident car that does its sporting heritage proud.
6. The Ghibli generally handles like a raucous, rear-wheel-drive sedan with a conspicuously bigger appetite for thrills than many of its staid competitors
7. The exhaust note heightens the experience -- in Sport modeit unleashes a devilishly louche roar that puts a wicked grin on your face
8. The transmission also wakes up in the Sport setting, eliminating all traces of turbo lag and hesitating shifts
caranthoo and 757ghibli like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You do realize you counted cheap Chrysler interior parts four times (cons 1, 2, 6, and 7).

Quite frankly, I don't mind the Chrysler parts because I don't recognize them (I don't own a Chrysler) and it helps keep the cost down. Where I really wanted custom Maserati parts they've given them to me. I don't give a rodent's rear if the headlight switch is from Chrysler. Really I don't.

And maybe it is because we have the open pore wood and upgraded door & dash panels, but I also don't notice any cheap parts. It feels and looks mighty fine to me!

Is it a perfect car? No, there is no perfect car. But it is everything I expected when I bought it and oh so much more. To paraphrase colleyt, I just dare someone to try and take it away from me. :-)

Finally, I would have listed the pros first. Puts the best light on a superb automobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQ1 View Post

Cons
1. Third-rate plastic pieces that Maserati grabbed out of Chrysler's corporate parts bin
3. Controlled by a finicky shifter or huge paddles mounted to the steering column
4. The lightweight AWD system in the S Q4 mostly leaves the front wheels out of the equation (HQ1 - all the better to steer you with my dear)
5. The cars' steering system ... feels oddly numb and rubbery.
8. The touch-screen infotainment system is fine in a Dodge but not worthy of an Italian sports sedan
9. Features such as radar-based cruise control, lane departure warning and collision-mitigation braking aren't even offered
10. Willing to trade a bit of (performance) for a more complete, luxurious car that doesn't make us wish for a shot of grappa every time we go to use the blinkers
11.Maserati has some work to do, and here's hoping it resolves these issues soon

Pros
1.The car is an ample seductress that should have no trouble luring in mid-size luxury car buyers looking to make a statement about their individuality.
2. No (competior is) as visceral on the road as the Maserati, and that's where its advantage lies.
3. Like the best of the full-size performance sedans on the market, this car feels much smaller than it is.
4. All the lusty performance and high style expected from a brand with a loose connection to Ferrari
5. This is a lively yet confident car that does its sporting heritage proud.
6. The Ghibli generally handles like a raucous, rear-wheel-drive sedan with a conspicuously bigger appetite for thrills than many of its staid competitors
7. The exhaust note heightens the experience -- in Sport modeit unleashes a devilishly louche roar that puts a wicked grin on your face
8. The transmission also wakes up in the Sport setting, eliminating all traces of turbo lag and hesitating shifts
flamingwicky and PeB like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
There was an early post from a GTS owner who liked the Chrysler parts because they worked and were probably reliable. He then listed all the switchware problems he had with the GTS.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
HQ1

(Thread Starter)
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelte View Post
You do realize you counted cheap Chrysler interior parts four times (cons 1, 2, 6, and 7).

Quite frankly, I don't mind the Chrysler parts because I don't recognize them (I don't own a Chrysler) and it helps keep the cost down. Where I really wanted custom Maserati parts they've given them to me. I don't give a rodent's rear if the headlight switch is from Chrysler. Really I don't.

And maybe it is because we have the open pore wood and upgraded door & dash panels, but I also don't notice any cheap parts. It feels and looks mighty fine to me!

Is it a perfect car? No, there is no perfect car. But it is everything I expected when I bought it and oh so much more. To paraphrase colleyt, I just dare someone to try and take it away from me. :-)

Finally, I would have listed the pros first. Puts the best light on a superb automobile.
I had summarized the points mentioned in the article and to me it dwelled too much on minor things. I agree, this is a superb automobile -- superb but flawed. Hey, my wife is Italian
svelte likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't really understand reviewers saying Maserati is now using cheap Chrysler parts, in fact, I think this is better than old Maserati parts.
When I test drove the GranTurismo, I was surprised with how the interior, console and switchgear felt dated and cheap compared to similar priced cars such as Aston Martin Vantage. That was when I decided I'll wait until the next generation GT comes out.
essexmaserfan and svelte like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Cons
I don't agree with this. Aren't these two the same thing? I also wouldn't call them third-rate. The biggest complaint that I've heard about the Ghibli's switch gear isn't so much their quality, but that they are shared with some low cost cars.

Quote:
I've never heard the Ghibli's transmission referred to as finicky. Some find the throttle response to be lacking, but the transmission shifts and gear selection have never been a noted problem. The shifter stalk does take a little getting used to, but that's only putting into reverse or drive. You do that once, maybe twice when you get going, that's it. Rest of the time you leave it alone or use it like any other "manumatic" shifter.

Quote:
Not in my experience... the AWD system is pretty active. It's only completely RWD above something like 80MPH. At speeds where you are going around curves, such as 30-50mph, it's pretty active.

Quote:
I thought it was pretty charming and sophisticated. It's a nice contrast with the busy interiors of German cars that I've grown accustomed to. The seats are a beautiful cross between sporty and luxury.

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. There is very little plastic as is, let alone cheap plastic.

Quote:
Just what kind of infotainment is an Italian sports sedan supposed to have? Complex electronics have a lot of R&D cost associated, every single limited production system out there sources their system from someone else. The Ghibli happened to source it from Chrysler. And here again, most of the complaints have been about the sharing, than some inherent lack of quality of the system itself.

Quote:
Good lord. These things are not offered for the same reason the Ghibli doesn't come with a towing package - it's not that kind of vehicle.

Quote:
That's not what Maserati is about. There are plenty of compromised middle-of-the-road cars out there that try to be jack of all trades and master of none. If that's what you are after, the Ghibli is a poor choice.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
HQ1

(Thread Starter)
Great Point by Point Counter Argument

Nova,

Thanks for your specific counter argument. I would hope that anyone curious or who may become seriously interested in the SQ 4 reads your comments carefully.

It seems that too many articles that review the Ghibli point out the superficial items and miss what the SQ 4 is all about.

However, to be fair to the reviewer, he does say a lot positive about the SQ 4 as well.

As I stated originally, the enthusiast will focus on what the car really is about while the "poser" will want a car with all the hi-tech wizardry but will miss out on the thrill of what driving is all about.

And I agree with what Whitesunglass says that the Chrysler parts are probably better than the equivalent Maserati parts

Last edited by HQ1; 03-19-2014 at 04:09 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Some posters on here (including me) have spent most of their motoring lives driving Italian cars.

The cars come in for loads of criticism, often from commentators who make a living from pulling cars apart.

In the UK, the Top Gear guys love and hate Alfa Romeos and Maseratis in equal degrees.

They love to drive them but would never buy them!

Basically they are 'car snobs'.

No car is perfect, like a woman (except my wife of course!), but we LOVE them.

Can't wait for my Ghibli to arrive next month. After all I have read I am sure it will be everything I had hoped for...........and maybe more.
HQ1 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
agreed. cars arent perfect

you dont look for the perfect car by all standards

you look for the car that makes you happy. and you just enjoy it

07 GranSport
08 RS4
13 ML63
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really liked the price point of the Ghibli and did not find the Chrysler parts disconcerting at all. I love the Maserati accents, overall stylings that go follow the Granturismo and of course the outstanding Ferrari sounding engine. I sometimes feel like the illegitimate Italian brother of a awesome line of cars. That stated, I wonder if our purebred siblings are embarrassed by us or know that we are part of the plan to move production to 50,000 units and keep the family fiscally healthy.