18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Premium Sound

Guys, looking for your impressions of the Premium Sound. I've been in three cars with it and have to say it is quite disappointing. It sounds flat and the bass is distorted. The "premium" sound for $1440 is the equivalent of a BMW base system IMO. I can not believe this is a $1440 option and would hate to hear what the standard system sounds like. With that said, the Bowers and Wilkens system is $5,100….that is A LOT to get IMO an acceptable sound system in a car of this class.

My BMW standard sound system is not great, but slightly better then the premium sound in the Ghibli. My Mercedes has the upgraded sound and perhaps I'm spoiled as that is truly one of the best OEM sound systems I've ever heard.

Is anyone getting the B&W sound system or has anyone heard it yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to make the same decision.

Auditioned the B&W setup in a Quattroporte and I didn't think it was a big enough step up from the premium sound. Especially for that kind of premium.

That + the fact that this is a driver's car and the sound of the exhaust is going to be far better than any other soundtrack, I at least, decided that the premium sound was the way to go.

Would welcome other people's opinions on this.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by khans View Post
I am trying to make the same decision.

Auditioned the B&W setup in a Quattroporte and I didn't think it was a big enough step up from the premium sound. Especially for that kind of premium.

That + the fact that this is a driver's car and the sound of the exhaust is going to be far better than any other soundtrack, I at least, decided that the premium sound was the way to go.

Would welcome other people's opinions on this.
Totally agree it is a drivers car and the sound of the exhaust is more important. However, as a daily driver and an audiophile, a good sound system is critical. I may just go with aftermarket speakers and an amp to fix this. You can spend $1500 on an aftermarket system and I'm sure it will sound much better without modifying the look of the car at all.

Thumbs down to Maserati as this is a major FAIL on their part.
MTAA likes this.

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Agreed. the premium sound in the one i test drove was underwhelming..it was 'premium'
my 540i premium sound system which is 12 years old kills the Maserati and MB GL 450.
I would HIGHLY recommend that no one waste money on the Ghibli premium sound. Your $ are better spent on other options.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Im kind of surprised it's like this in a MASERATI of all cars out there. I think the best thing you can do if you're serious about your listening experience in your vehicle is to get the speakers upgraded at an audio shop.
When your lease is up, if you leased it, replace speakers with the factory speakers and you're on your way!
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maserwannabe View Post
Agreed. the premium sound in the one i test drove was underwhelming..it was 'premium'
my 540i premium sound system which is 12 years old kills the Maserati and MB GL 450.
I would HIGHLY recommend that no one waste money on the Ghibli premium sound. Your $ are better spent on other options.
thanks for your insight

I've never been one to fall for upgrading to premium sound unless it really made a difference (in which most of the time in luxury cars it doesnt) Likely because the standard stereo is pretty good as is.

07 GranSport
08 RS4
13 ML63
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'll have my car next week with the B&W system. I'll post back if the option is worth it. I didn't want it or need it, but my dealer offered me a car a month ahead of the one I was actually having built so I decided to take it.
Nice Nige likes this.

2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4: Blu Emozione/Nero
2014 Jaguar F Type V8 S: Salsa Red/Jet
2011 Cadillac Escalade ESV Plat.: White Diamond/Brown
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunero View Post
I'll have my car next week with the B&W system. I'll post back if the option is worth it. I didn't want it or need it, but my dealer offered me a car a month ahead of the one I was actually having built so I decided to take it.
Welcome to the forum!

Couldn't help but noticed the nice collection of cars you have in your signature. Would love to see pictures of the F-Type you have
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM

problem is how do you decide if you want Ghibli or F-Type on a daily basis its like blonde or brunette, why not both!
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunero View Post
looking forward to your insight.

07 GranSport
08 RS4
13 ML63