12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Signal Processor install

Hey Guys,

I know its been a little while since anyone wrote on here, but I just finished a Ghibli that had premium sound that sounded absolutely terrible stock. Added a LCQ-1 Signal processor and grabbed high outputs from the factory amp on front rear and sub channels, and the audio control processor sums them and cleans up the signal. Next I sent it to an Alpine 400 watt amp, and powered rear doors, and front doors off of it. Left the factory amp doing the front stage, and added a powered sub. The sound quality now is unbelievable even on the factory speakers, and they handle the power and hit very clean and hard. The trick also is setting the factory head unit to -5 on bass, -3 on mids, and -2 on treble. I think that using it to add any of these additional EQ to the sound distorts the sound and is what causes such terrible quality when most people turn those up to +2 etc. I also mapped the factory amp wires, which I know no one on these forums has ever posted yet. If you need assistance let me know.

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwhiton View Post
Hey Guys,

I know its been a little while since anyone wrote on here, but I just finished a Ghibli that had premium sound that sounded absolutely terrible stock. Added a LCQ-1 Signal processor and grabbed high outputs from the factory amp on front rear and sub channels, and the audio control processor sums them and cleans up the signal. Next I sent it to an Alpine 400 watt amp, and powered rear doors, and front doors off of it. Left the factory amp doing the front stage, and added a powered sub. The sound quality now is unbelievable even on the factory speakers, and they handle the power and hit very clean and hard. The trick also is setting the factory head unit to -5 on bass, -3 on mids, and -2 on treble. I think that using it to add any of these additional EQ to the sound distorts the sound and is what causes such terrible quality when most people turn those up to +2 etc. I also mapped the factory amp wires, which I know no one on these forums has ever posted yet. If you need assistance let me know.

Thanks,
Joe

Question (Nobody has answered yet), is the difference between the base sound system and the "premium" merely the existence of an amp in the trunk?

the head unit is the same on all models, and it seems to me (i'm waiting for confirmation) that the only thing that makes the system "Premium" is an additional OEM amp.

is this true?

- 2015 Ghibli Base (Stock)
- 2009 GranTurismo S (Stock)
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
And the only thing that makes the ridiculous ($5100) B&W sound system different is a larger amp and B&W speakers. No improvement in the functionality of the head unit, nor in the ability of the system to decode higher resolution files. The rear deck still rattles also.

ra0507

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwhiton View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Joe
Hey @jbwhiton

Interested in your mapping of the factory wires. Mind sharing here or over PM?
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hi all,

If you have a base sound system, just ask your dealer to turn the level up from 7 to 10. It's a 5 min job and makes a huge difference to your sound system. When I first bought my car, I was so shocked with the sound system having had a few B&O systems in my Audis. I was looking at amps and speaker upgrade until I read a similar post to mine. So I took my car to the dealer, asked them the question, they warned me about the rear parcel shelf vibrating (which is why the factory turned it down in the first place), I accepted and 5 minutes later it was done. Also no charge so nothing to lose for trying.
The sound is now 10 times better and a year on, I don't feel the need to be looking at buying an amp or new speakers.
BTW, there is an amp on left hand side in boot/trunk. There's also something else on the rear parcel shelf. Removing the rear parcel shelf is a job in itself as much trim needs to be removed. There's a guide on here if anyone needs to know. Be careful when removing the side plastic trim as you'll break a few clips, no way around it as I found out and I have a set of Snap-on clip removal tools but even these broke clips due to their location.

David