LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question MTC Upgrade for 2016 Ghibli

Hey everyone,

Just bought a *fabulous* 2016 Ghibli (Nero with Cuoio interior). My daily ride is a 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Hemi. The Dodge Uconnect system is far better than the Maserati Touch Control (MTC) system in the 2014-16 Ghiblis. I do know the MTC was updated for 2017+ Ghiblis. I am a bit disappointed with my MTC look/feel and limited options. I can update Uconnect in my Dodge easily to get the latest/greatest version. Not able to find a clear answer on MTC upgrades online, but itching to know what I can do.

What are the upgrade options for MTC for 2016 Ghibli?
A. Apply software update to get new 2017+ MTC version?
B. Replace physical MTC unit with 2017+ version ... will it fit?
C. Replace physical MTC unit with Apple/Android CarPlay unit or 12.1" Android unit made for 14-16 Ghiblis?

Thanks!
moparqueen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you! I just bought a 2016 Ghibli S last Friday.

A. I don't think we have an official SW update for the 14-16 MTC...
B. That's what I thought at first but I may have read somewhere that the physical dimensions are slightly different so it wouldn't fit.
C. I pulled the trigger on a CarPlay unit from Navtool.com since someone on this forum posted that it actually uses the existing touchscreen instead of a tiny control knob. There are Chinese CarPlay units available as well but they are basically fiddly Android/Linux units with CarPlay hacked onto it and the display aspect ratio is wrong.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Have you installed the Navtool yet? If so, what do you think of it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
A. Apply software update to get new 2017+ MTC version?
the 17 and up cars have a completely different headunit, there is no available update to get that to that level as the hardware is completely different, as well as the entire center stack assembly.
B. Replace physical MTC unit with 2017+ version ... will it fit?
the 14-16 is 3 pieces, hvac, screen, radio unit. the 17 and up car is hvac control and an intergrated screen/radio module. fit? maybe. but it'll take more parts than just a radio. also, unsure if the connector lay out is the same. the network is different due to the whole center stack changing.
C. Replace physical MTC unit with Apple/Android CarPlay unit or 12.1" Android unit made for 14-16 Ghiblis?
feasible likely, but keep in mind that the instrument cluster depends on some data from the radio, as well as the radio setting and controlling vehicle functions.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
What do you find better about the Challenger system? I test drove a 2016 Charger Hellcat, and though I didn't spend much time with the stereo it seemed the same. Also the girlfriend has a 2016 Dodge Journey, the Uconnect in it seems the same as my 2016 Ghibli.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
Have you installed the Navtool yet? If so, what do you think of it?
Hey there, I think it's an awesome module that I honestly now CANNOT live without. It supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Also supports HDMI inputs for surrounds cameras?? But I didn't bother.

It is completely touchscreen. You activate it by pressing the upper left corner of the screen for 3 seconds. It's like one of those RaceChip ECU stuff where it sits between the engine and the car's ECU - in this case, the actual radio and the screen. It knows all your touch inputs and honestly I think the only thing holding it back is the crap display we have, which is low-res and low-framerate.

Interestingly, when I took a closer look at the firmware of the unit I received, it's actually made for a Chrysler 300! This gives me ideas... Since there's so much part sharing, we very well may be able to upgrade our UConnect to the newer and MUCH better versions. Take a look at this UConnect upgrade kit for the 300: https://www.infotainment.com/product...y-android-auto