LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clearing DPF

Hi guys,

I bought a Ghibli in December. Mine is a 2014 model with very low mileage- 9,000 miles. I am very happy with the car but now I am getting a message informing me the the DPF is full and that I need to drive it on a highway to clear the filter. I tried this but nothing happened. The message is still there. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It needs to be fully warmed up and then out in manual and keep the revs high doing 50+mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Hi Kevin

Did you get sorted out?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Funny this should come up. I have seen that message twice since I got the car in January ( I do a lot of miles), both times I have been in London ,so nothing I could do , to get on a highway, but both times the regeneration has counted down from 90% to complete, even when once I was at a complete standstill for the whole event. Perhaps let it sit and idle, as I can only think that getting the engine to full temperature is more important than the RPM. I have no idea if this technically is the case, but just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 PM

The more you rev, the higher the temperature, and less fuel injected during the exhaust valve opening.
On top the volume of gas helps clearing the DPF.

Do you get the count down on your dash Jon?
Which menu?
Never saw this on mine.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Garage
Hi Fred

I have a Quattroporte, but I am think pretty much everything is common between the Ghibli and the QP, except the size. But not sure. Yes on mine it said Regeneration in progress, this is in the bit between the speedo and the Rev counter and it also said DPF 90% full. It then displayed 80%, then 70% then I was looking out of the window at something else and when I looked back, the screen had returned to normal. I think from what I recall from 70 it whizzes through, but I had only had the car two days the last time it did it and I found it quite odd the car felt the need to tell you about it. My 7 Series would regenerate and keep quiet about it,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:39 PM

Best to know when it regenerates, like this you don't stop the engine while it is doing so, as the heat inside the DPF can rise a lot, normal regen 600-650 DegC... >1100 DegF...
If you stop then, the heat will continue climbing in the filter before it goes down again, this will eventually destroy the DPF.

I'll see if there is a setting in my menus for this.

Thanks for the info.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:14 AM

Garage
Good point, never thought of that.

I see you have posted about the Maxhaust. Fitting wise is it just plug and play? I mean plugging into connectors etc? I assume on my car the connection would also be in the boot? Mine is the old shape (grill) but a 2016 QP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
Hi Fred
I have a Quattroporte, but I am think pretty much everything is common between the Ghibli and the QP, except the size. But not sure.

Yes, it's the same car. The wheelbase and some minor stylistic changes are the only difference.

From my experience with previous DPF diesel cars, there are two types of regeneration. -

There is an active one that is done proactively in normal driving conditions, without informing the driver, when certain conditions are met (temperature, speed, and so on). The only way to tell it's in progress is the very high fuel consumption and a slight change in tone of the exhaust note (altho, this might be negated by the sound actuators the Ghibli and the QP have). There is also a stronger diesel smell coming out of the exhaust.
There is also a "forced" one that is done when the DPF is almost full, when the driver is informed about it.

@Fredvr am I right?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:29 PM

Hi Jon,
For the Maxhaust it is not really plug and play, You actually have to dismantle some connectors and split them open, you need a good eyesight LOL, they are small and tricky to open.

In fact you insert a new module which has a normal clipping connection socket, 2 CAN bus wires from the original module have to be disconnected and reconnected to the new loom to the module, they supply all the bits, but it is quite fiddly.

Before 2016 it is in the boot, after it is under the driver's seat, boot is MUCH easier.

@ Toshy
Yes for the 1st part, I have never had the forced regen, so I can't comment on it. I've never had the count down on the dash.

There is also a sort of self regen, without injecting extra fuel, it is like self cleaning when you're driving at good speed (revs) on the Mway and the temperature in the DPF is sufficient to sort of "self" burn the soot.

This system only works on the latest cars where the DPF is right after the turbo for High Temp, and not under the car like in the past.

There is also the EOLYS system but that's for Peugeot's it drops the burning temp. of the soot, but has for inconvenient to clog the DPF on a long run!!