3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00bk View Post
odd since it looks identical to jeep v6's, down to the pentastar on the front cover.
the block yes, as a solid unmilled untouched aluminum block.
designed by maserati, machined and assembled by ferrari.
I knew the blocks were manufactured in Kokomo, IN, never knew if it was shared. Reading through this I don't get the impression that it is shared. They might just still be keeping that a secret, could be something along the same block with tighter tolerances maintained or something.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...-engine-blocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Found this, question/answer from Car & Driver 2014 (I think it is Car & Driver responding)

Quote:
Devon, Backfires: “Twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6—based on Chrysler’s Pentastar?”

The Maserati’s block is cast in Chrysler’s Kokomo, Indiana, casting plant, but we’ve been told that the fundamental casting is different from the Pentastar. Also, we can definitively say it doesn’t sound like any Pentastar we’ve driven.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...-plus-queries/
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00bk View Post
odd since it looks identical to jeep v6's, down to the pentastar on the front cover.

What Pentastar on the front cover? Have you seen an Maserati engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBunky View Post
I knew the blocks were manufactured in Kokomo, IN, never knew if it was shared. Reading through this I don't get the impression that it is shared. They might just still be keeping that a secret, could be something along the same block with tighter tolerances maintained or something.

Yes, the blocks are cast at Kokomo plant, and probably share some elements with the Pentastar blocks, elements that come from using the same factory - retooling and designing something from scratch cost a lot - but they're cast at a different grade. They have different stroke and bore, that changes the whole block anyway. Also, the raw blocks are machined and finished at Ferrari's factory. And it's just the block, everything else is shared, more or less, with the F154 engines.

This was done because Ferrari's own Alcoa-built foundry couldn't handle the volumes.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshy View Post
What Pentastar on the front cover? Have you seen an Maserati engine?

Yes, the blocks are cast at Kokomo plant, and probably DEFINITELY share some elements with the Pentastar blocks, elements that come from using the same factory - retooling and designing something from scratch cost a lot - but they're cast at a different grade. They have different stroke and bore, that changes the whole block anyway. NEGATIVE, A BLOCK IS A BLOCK, THE END Also, the raw blocks are machined and finished at Ferrari's factory. And it's just the block, everything else is shared, more or less, with the F154 engines. JUST NO.

This was done because Ferrari's own Alcoa-built foundry couldn't handle the volumes.
i don't grasp what this is about, your saying it is and isn't?
i am staring at one in a crate, actually. and the pentastar on it.
they share a lot with FCA v6's, sensors, connectors, VVT solenoids...
the F154 is a whole different animal, have you even seen an engine?

i digress from the original conversation, i am very curious to see if the internals can be sourced after all and how the rebuild goes.
an unfortunate alternative would be having to purchase a light version of the long block, rather than a complete crate engine from maserati directly.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM

What you arrogantly underlined in red just shows how little you know about engines in general, and about F160 and F154 in particular. I don't think I should dignify you with anymore replies

But, please, feel free to prove us all wrong and post a pic of the "Pentastar" on the Maserati block
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshy View Post
What you arrogantly underlined in red just shows how little you know about engines in general, and about F160 and F154 in particular. I don't think I should dignify you with anymore replies

But, please, feel free to prove us all wrong and post a pic of the "Pentastar" on the Maserati block
ok. water pump assembly for now for a pentastar block, i'll be onto stripping the crate engine some time soon. it has some good salvageable parts on it.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:32 PM

A Pentastar engine has a Pentastar logo. What a shocker!
Still waiting for the picture of the Maserati block.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool Ghibli engine rebuild

Hi , Sorry about the delay in reporting back. The CD rom workshop manual arrived and it is a very copy of the factory manual with lots of good colour images and totals 3545 pages. The crankshaft came up mint with a light polish after sitting in their workshop for two weeks! I have ordered the Main bearings, Big ends, ring set,gaskets,rod bolts and 3 new conrods as the others were slightly heat marked.I sourced the parts from both Scuderia and Eurospares in the UK as neither supplier had all parts required. Easy process and I think reasonably priced. So now just a week or two and they should arrive.

Looks to be a very nice,compact and well built engine but the cylinder heads would benefit from a good port and polish!... has anybody done this?

The questions around it being a Pentastar block for those who give a toss!- the only Chrysler logos on the engine are on the rear main seal plate,camshaft variators and I think the water pump but nothing on the block with Maserati logo on the timing cover.