User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
15 sq4 seized

29K all maintenance requirements performed by certified Maserati mechanics. Car was great, had no issues other than the entire rear diff having to be replaced after the mechanic dug into a noise he heard during a routine service, warranty cover that one. I’m here looking for any reasonable explanation or hypothesis that makes sense as to why cylinders 4-5 spun and 5 ultimately seized, ending the engines life after so few miles. Mods/ECU tune/air filters. I drive aggressively but not hard, if that makes sense. I was accelerating into a turn attempting to pass some slower traffic when I had one of those moments where your senses go into hyper awareness. The car hesitated and I backed off immediately, luckily I was close to Home. Called AAA and had it towed to the shop just to be safe, NO CEL or any other indications there was an issue. The car got to the shop and never ran again!! They pulled it off the tow truck and attempted to start it with no luck, thinking it was possible a dead battery they tried a jump but, no luck. Scratching their heads one guy attempted to manually crank the engine and that’s when this saga began.. does anyone know about tolerance issues with this motor or possible lubrications issues? I can’t seem to find the part of my brain that comprehends this particular failure, I have an average knowledge of engines so I’m hoping someone more qualified can help shed light on my situation. Any thoughts or questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I know the oil pumps are known to have issues in the 14 and 15 models. Ever take note of oil pressure? How was the oil level?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Seen that happen many times on the 14s and 15s...

Maserati/Porsche/BMW certified Technician
Automotive Ingenuity
13 Mission Land Road
Pine Island, NY 10969
Orange County New York

Servicing all of the New Jersey/New York Area
Parts and Service Available.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseratiTechNNJ View Post
Seen that happen many times on the 14s and 15s...
I drive with my oil pressure up on the display now just to keep an eye and see if it ever falls off. May not help IRL but mentally it feels like an ounce of prevention. I've thought about preventatively swapping out my oil pump for a new one, but the model numbers are identical. Maybe the pump itself has been upgraded and they kept the same part number?

MaseratiTechNNJ, do you know if that's the case regarding the part numbers? And would changing out the oil pump help reduce the chances of this occurring in the early models?

Ghibli S Q4 Nero Ribelle w/ Red Interior
Premium, Executive/Luxury & Sport Packages
Carbon Fiber & Alcantara Trim
Red Calipers w/ 20" Polished Urano Rims w/ 18mm spacers
Larini Sport Cats, BMC filters, Eurodynamic Tune
3M Crystalline 40%