• 2 Post By MaseratiTechNNJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Misfire

The check engine light started flashing on my 2016 with 37k miles after some hard acceleration. It didn't seem to be running any differently. After pulling over and restarting the vehicle the light was on solid.

It is still under warranty so I had it towed in to be safe. The service department told me it's due for new spark plugs and quoted me $700. Not being covered under warranty because it's a "maintenance" item.

I'm pretty sure they didn't even look at the vehicle and are giving me the run around.

Anyone have any insight on this? I've heard Ghibli's are prone to misfire, but is not always something to be concerned about. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I would clear the light and see if it happens again...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.rochel View Post
The check engine light started flashing on my 2016 with 37k miles after some hard acceleration. It didn't seem to be running any differently. After pulling over and restarting the vehicle the light was on solid.

It is still under warranty so I had it towed in to be safe. The service department told me it's due for new spark plugs and quoted me $700. Not being covered under warranty because it's a "maintenance" item.

I'm pretty sure they didn't even look at the vehicle and are giving me the run around.

Anyone have any insight on this? I've heard Ghibli's are prone to misfire, but is not always something to be concerned about. Thoughts?
Your plugs are due by 36k anyway so it would be the place to start anyway. The warranty claim through technical support would ask for that maintenance record before they would authorize any replacement of other parts.
daveman6 and d.rochel like this.

Maserati/Porsche/BMW certified Technician
Automotive Ingenuity
13 Mission Land Road
Pine Island, NY 10969
Orange County New York

Servicing all of the New Jersey/New York Area
Parts and Service Available.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Ghibli's are no more "Prone" to misfire than any other car.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ive put 70k into my ghibli S . Never had a misfire thats noticable. However plenty of popping and banging down the rev range when driving hard. Lovely blue flames in the mersey tunnel 😉. As mad as it sounds have you checked the HT leads and plugs just to make sure all is in order.Quick and easy job for a summer night.

My rs4 used to misfire if i was forced to put lower octane in but that was a daft engine and no where near as refined as a buttery smooth ghibli.

Hope it gets sorted. I feel your pain with our labours of love .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I replaced the plugs myself over the weekend. Really easy job. So far no misfires.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
I replaced the plugs myself over the weekend. Really easy job. So far no misfires.
if y'all check gap on the plugs before installing to make sure they are right out of the box, make sure you use a wire gap checker instead of the normal sliding ones. you don't want to damage the tips.

on the intermittent misfire, one possibility is the intake valves are building up a fair amount of carbon. does wonders to the air charge coming into the cylinders.