2014 Maserati Ghibli 3.0 V6 -- ENGINE SEIZED -- $36,000 quote - Maserati Ghibli Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By edh13

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2014 Maserati Ghibli 3.0 V6 -- ENGINE SEIZED -- $36,000 quote

Hello all,

I recently bought a 2014 Ghibli "non-running".

40,900 miles. 1 year out of warranty.

Towed it to the dealership for a diagnostic. They found the engine would not turn over manually.

Result: engine is seized, 36000$ engine replacement option...

Has anyone rebuilt a 3.0 V6 (not the SQ4 model, just the base) before? I am sure a lot of the parts on my engine are still good and usable... Should I do more tests? remove plugs and try turning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I would certainly take the car and get some more opinions. This is a tough situation.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
That's tough, sorry to hear that..

Pacific Motors and others often have them for $5-10k depending on miles and if it's an "S" engine.

Physically there isn't much of a difference between the base and the S models. Cams, fuel injectors and ecu for sure. Probably other items as well but those I know for sure.

Do you have any history on the car? Maybe drain the oil and inspect for metal bits visually or with a magnet? You could pull the plugs and check the cylinders with a cheap bore scope too. Just some quick thoughts. Good luck!

Ghibli S Q4 Nero Ribelle w/ Red Interior
Premium, Executive/Luxury & Sport Packages
Carbon Fiber & Alcantara Trim
Red Calipers w/ 20" Polished Urano Rims w/ 18mm spacers
Larini Sport Cats, BMC filters, Eurodynamic Tune
3M Crystalline 40%

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytech View Post
That's tough, sorry to hear that..

Pacific Motors and others often have them for $5-10k depending on miles and if it's an "S" engine.

Physically there isn't much of a difference between the base and the S models. Cams, fuel injectors and ecu for sure. Probably other items as well but those I know for sure.

Do you have any history on the car? Maybe drain the oil and inspect for metal bits visually or with a magnet? You could pull the plugs and check the cylinders with a cheap bore scope too. Just some quick thoughts. Good luck!
I see you're in AZ! Same! Do you service your car at the dealer or do you go to an indy? If so, who do you go to?

I removed the spark plugs and oil filter, I will upload pictures in my next reply.

I can't get enough room without removing the intake tubing to get a socket on the crank pulley but I removed the belts to see if any other component along the belt was seized and everything spins freely. I once has a compressor seized that wouldnt allow the engine to turn on a Jag so I figured might as well make sure none of the accessories are seized.

The crank still seems to be seized but I can't properly get a socket/ratchet in there so I will have to try removing some of the tubing.

Also, I may drain the oil from below and inspect for metal shavings. I may put some Marvel Myster oil in the spark plug holes and allow it to soak and perhaps free the pistons? if they are stuck?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The 14s would always seize the most. The vehicle probably had a poor service history and the bearings seized. The oiling system in the earlier 14s and 15s was poor. If they say it’s seized I would more than likely believe them. You can fit a socket with an extension and a breaker bar on the crank pulley without removing any intake pipes. Marvel mystery oil will probably not solve anything. If it frees it up you’ll most likely get about 10 miles before it gets stuck again. That’s a big risk buying a car not running...

Maserati/Porsche/BMW certified Technician
Automotive Ingenuity
13 Mission Land Road
Pine Island, NY 10969
Orange County New York

Servicing all of the New Jersey/New York Area
Parts and Service Available.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Your lucky day. Posted 9/5

https://www.ghibliforum.com/forum/ma...#/topics/36800
NYCSQ4 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
for real
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Myer View Post
I see you're in AZ! Same! Do you service your car at the dealer or do you go to an indy? If so, who do you go to?

I removed the spark plugs and oil filter, I will upload pictures in my next reply.

I can't get enough room without removing the intake tubing to get a socket on the crank pulley but I removed the belts to see if any other component along the belt was seized and everything spins freely. I once has a compressor seized that wouldnt allow the engine to turn on a Jag so I figured might as well make sure none of the accessories are seized.

The crank still seems to be seized but I can't properly get a socket/ratchet in there so I will have to try removing some of the tubing.

Also, I may drain the oil from below and inspect for metal shavings. I may put some Marvel Myster oil in the spark plug holes and allow it to soak and perhaps free the pistons? if they are stuck?
My car has been mostly serviced at the dealer until this year since the warranty is now up. I've done my plugs and brakes myself and am about to do the oil. I'll probably do most of the routine stuff myself, time & weather permitting, and then indy for whatever else comes up. My dentist has a GranTurismo and I asked him where he's been going and he said he's had good experiences with his Maserati and his MB at Autobahn Autoworks in Tempe. I haven't needed to try them yet, but that's where I'd probably go.

Sounds like you picked up that replacement engine and have an adventure ahead. Keep us posted, sounds like a fun project! At least it's starting to cool off here. Good luck!

Ghibli S Q4 Nero Ribelle w/ Red Interior
Premium, Executive/Luxury & Sport Packages
Carbon Fiber & Alcantara Trim
Red Calipers w/ 20" Polished Urano Rims w/ 18mm spacers
Larini Sport Cats, BMC filters, Eurodynamic Tune
3M Crystalline 40%
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So I ended up buying an engine from a 2015 Ghibli with only 9K miles on it for 5250$ shipped!

My mechanic wants 1900$ to remove bad engine and put the engine in. Feels a little steep for me since I just spent 5250$ on the engine...

Maybe I’ll tackle it myself... not sure! Engine should be here in a couple of days!

13,900 + 5250 + 500 (misc fluids and detail)

Under 20K for the car with a 9K mile Maserati with an extra (bad) engine for parts... both turbos on the bad engine work. So if I sell the complete bad engine for even 2K (which I think is fair), I should have a 2014 Ghibli with 9K miles for around 18K... which I think is awesome!!!!

I’ll def post a lot of videos and pictures as I remove the engine and put new one in.