1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
De-Chroming the Car - Opinions

I have seen a few Ghiblis both on the forums and around SoCal that have removed any visible chrome from the car. The most common route seems to be going Black Out.

I have a '14 Nero Ribelle and was considering getting all the chrome completed in Ferrari Red. Thhis would be the front grille, door handles, window trim strips and trunk light cover + badges.

Would love some thoughts and or opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 03:02 PM
GhibliForum.com Vendor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I think the color choice is really up to you but I would suggest using vinyl wrap to cover the chrome, works great and allows you to easily return it to stock if you want to when you sell it. Just take each part off by hand, cut the wrap to size, install it or have a shop do it for you.

Best Regards,

Formula Dynamics
[email protected]
1-800-351-8757 Toll Free
1-702-430-1040 Local

Visit: FormulaDynamics.com for Maserati Performance Parts:
ECU/DBW Chip Upgrades - Exhausts - Suspension Kits - Brake Kits / Pads / Lines - Air / Oil Filters - Wheels
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed. I had mine wrapped. Can be removed pretty easily. You can see pictures in my introduction thread if you'd like. Would be really interested in seeing it dechromed in a color other than black.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How does one go about wrapping the chrome and where does one buy the wrap to do so? Love the look of your car and the chrome on my has to go! Thx
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:23 PM
GhibliForum.com Vendor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
You can buy rolls of adhesive backed colored vinyl online or through any graphics shop near you. They come in quite a few colors, it's just a matter of picking what you like cutting a piece out, cleaning the factory piece well and wrapping the visible face. A heat gun helps but it can be a good bit of work since this shouldn't be attempted on the car, the parts should be removed first.

Many automotive shops are now doing this work also so you may be able to get a quote at a local performance or wheel shop. I'm sure there are youtube videos out there as well.

Best Regards,

Formula Dynamics
[email protected]
1-800-351-8757 Toll Free
1-702-430-1040 Local

Visit: FormulaDynamics.com for Maserati Performance Parts:
ECU/DBW Chip Upgrades - Exhausts - Suspension Kits - Brake Kits / Pads / Lines - Air / Oil Filters - Wheels
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
I've had multiple shops look at wrapping the door handles and no one is willing to do it saying that it will not come out right. Regardless, if you're new to wrapping, you're probably going to want a pro to do it as it's quite difficult on any surface that isn't flat and the chrome parts to be wrapped on the Ghibli are difficult/ impossible to just remove from the car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdoc View Post
I've had multiple shops look at wrapping the door handles and no one is willing to do it saying that it will not come out right. Regardless, if you're new to wrapping, you're probably going to want a pro to do it as it's quite difficult on any surface that isn't flat and the chrome parts to be wrapped on the Ghibli are difficult/ impossible to just remove from the car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think my handles came out pretty nicely. I was told by the shop that was wrapping my car that the maserati door handles require a special tool they had to get from the maserati dealership to remove the handles. I'm not sure exactly how true that is but I've had at least 4 of my cars wrapped at this shop and they've always done an amazing job. I agree completely though it all depends on how "able" you are as far as working on your vehicle. I have a tendency to pull and twist things too hard so I always break a clip or something sometimes worse, which Is why I always leave it to the pros or at least someone more inclined at doing so then I

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Wrapped my trim. One of the first mods I did immediately after driving off the lot.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Dipped trim, mirrors, door handles, badges and grille... Looks neat if you keep at a steady pace with the plasti dip you can make clean lines without much of a mess... Will post some pics for you guys to see the finished product
Michael Pedersen likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCosta View Post
Dipped trim, mirrors, door handles, badges and grille... Looks neat if you keep at a steady pace with the plasti dip you can make clean lines without much of a mess... Will post some pics for you guys to see the finished product
How'd you do the handles?