LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Paddle shift retrofit - DIY resource

Hi all,

My dealer has quoted me £1500 to retrofit the shifter paddles which includes typical main dealer labour rate. My aim is to do this myself in the most cost effective manner and I'm trying to glean information and make it available for others. When I do the retrofit myself I'll post a guide.

In the meantime, here's what I've found out so far:

Dealer Job:
  • Remove steering wheel and airbag.
  • Remove bracket and replace with paddle assembly.
  • Plug paddle assembly connector into existing socket
  • Replace upper & lower plastic steering column covers with ones suitable for the paddles.
  • Replace Steering column stalk with longer version for increased clearance.
  • The dealer also says that there is coding involved but this isnt required to get it to work. Instead I suspect its simply to update the car's onboard ECU to tell it that it now has paddleshifters as per factory and/or reset the airbag light if required.

Cost effective DIY Job:
  • Remove steering wheel and airbag
  • Remove bracket and replace with paddle assembly.
  • Plug paddle assembly connector into existing socket
  • Replace upper & lower steering plastic steering column covers with ones suitable for the paddles.

I'm not planning on replacing the stalk with the longer version as I believe its only marginally longer but that's an individual choice.

There's a PDF Guide on how to do this on the Quattroporte and I believe the process is the same. What I need in order to continue is some idea of how to remove the airbag on the Ghibli and the part numbers required for the above.

PART NUMBERS
Paddle Shift Assembly: 670013665 (I believe this correct and assume no difference between RHD & LHD parts) UK price for this is £700 alone!
Upper steering column shield 670019270
Lower steering column shield 670019081 (models with manual adjustment)
Lower steering column shield 670019078 (models with electric adjustment)

Note above parts are verified for RHD models but I can't confirm they work with LHD.

I know that there was a thread about this a year ago but it didn't go anywhere. The only person I know of who has done this is mrpa1999 and I've PM'd him for more info but if anyone else can help with this project for the benefit of all of us please feel free to weigh in.

Quattroporte guide is a good start and can be found here: DIY - Adding Paddle Shifters to a QP - Maserati Forum
sizquik likes this.

Last edited by Bianco; 03-25-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Garage
There is a lot of inconsistency thrown around about this subject and whether or not paddles is possible. Well if you are in the USA, its almost 100% possible. The only way you cannot do the upgrade is if you special ordered your car, and did NOT include power seats. All base model cars came stock with power seats, so you would have had to do a manual delete for the option.

If your car has the power seats (option 136), then your car is 100% wired for the paddle upgrade. PERIOD.

These are the basics steps you will need to perform - in order.

0. disconnect battery terminal cable from trunk.
1. remove airbag
2. remove steering wheel
3. remove column front/top cover
4. remove column lower cover
5. disconnect tranny control clip
6. install paddle assembly (4 screws) and connect 2 clips.
7. reverse the sequence.
8. torque to spec
9. power cycle the car.
10. DONE, no software update needed, as long as you already have the prerequisites and proper wiring. if your car didnt have the wiring then it most likely would need a software update b/c you would have had to install a lot of other needed components besides what is mentioned.

Dealers need to know what they are talking about before giving out bad info. if they have not done it than they are not the ones to speak with and really shouldnt be giving advice on the subject.

Parts Needed:

(1) Paddle Assembly - Part#, 670013665 ($333.00)
(1) Steering Column Switch - Part #, 670025007 ($172.80)
(1) Steering Trim Lower Cover - Part#, 670024855 ($38.00)
(4) Mount Screws - Part#, 675000180 ($0.25ea)

Total Cost of Parts - $544.80 + tax.
Bianco likes this.

Last edited by mrpa1999; 03-25-2015 at 02:58 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks.

Added part numbers for steering column parts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Question

mrpa1999 , can you confirm that after you installed them yourself, that they are working as designed , without having a Dealership do any additional coding or programming?

S

"You have first to experience
what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpa1999 View Post
I never installed them on my car, not sure where that came from. I know how to do it and have done it before on a QP, it's very easy, the ghibli is even easier than the QP.

There may be a software update for the transmission that is required, I can see that as being possible.

It's also possible that all cars are already flashed for the paddles as part of the overall tranny flash from the start, they simple don't have the paddles. Now when you plug the paddles in, shut the engine off, do a power cycle and reboot the paddles are recognized and activated.

If you look at the actual paddle assembly you will see a wire harness, that plugs into your transmission control / gearbox.

The paddles should run $385 delivered price. I believe you may need a different column stalk cover as well, the plastic trim piece. That part can be better answered by someone who had it done. Pull out your invoice and look at the part #s.
According to my dealer there is a flash required.
There's also the stalk that needs to be changed so there is enough clearance between the paddles and the "multifunction" arm.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salayc View Post
There's also the stalk that needs to be changed so there is enough clearance between the paddles and the "multifunction" arm.

As per my initial post a longer stalk is part of the retrofit package that the dealer does but whether or not it is absolutely necessary is a matter of personal opinion. Depends on the clearance and how much longer the new stalk is.

As for flashing, I'm looking into this. On the current model Quattroporte which has the same same ZF transmission there is no flashing required, so it would seem strange that this is required on the Ghibli for it to work.

My feeling is that the actual flash may simply be the airbag warning light or to tell the instrument cluster to display the paddle symbols on either side of the gear display.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salayc View Post
thats the prob every dealer will tell you something completely different. find a dealer that knows what they are talking about, most dont. the ones that have not done this procedure shouldnt even talk about it.. i talked to continental last night for pricign only, they said it cant be done and will require an entire steering column replacement and cost $4-$5k.. sorry bro you have no clue, CLICK...

see edited post above for new info!

Last edited by mrpa1999; 03-25-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DIY Paddle Shifters

This guide is incomplete. Anyone happen to have part numbers for the US steering column panels, and the shorty stick?

I am surprised there is not better info on this topic... yeah plenty of text, but literally no pics, no videos and no one here that has performed the procedure on their own car, and that car being an actual Ghibli.

I will document the process if you guys can get me some definitive info. For example, people have alluded to an official dealership procedure for adding paddles. Can we get our grubby hands on that document somehow? Come on Maserati, we want to buy more overpriced stuff, make it easy!!! Is there no one on this forum that works closely with a dealership, works at a dealership, or maybe has a friend that does?

Quote:
There is a lot of inconsistency thrown around about this subject and whether or not paddles is possible. Well if you are in the USA, its almost 100% possible. The only way you cannot do the upgrade is if you special ordered your car, and did NOT include power seats. All base model cars came stock with power seats, so you would have had to do a manual delete for the option.

If your car has the power seats (option 136), then your car is 100% wired for the paddle upgrade. PERIOD.

These are the basics steps you will need to perform - in order.

0. disconnect battery terminal cable from trunk.
1. remove airbag
2. remove steering wheel
3. remove column front/top cover
4. remove column lower cover
5. disconnect tranny control clip
6. install paddle assembly (4 screws) and connect 2 clips.
7. reverse the sequence.
8. torque to spec
9. power cycle the car.
10. DONE, no software update needed, as long as you already have the prerequisites and proper wiring. if your car didnt have the wiring then it most likely would need a software update b/c you would have had to install a lot of other needed components besides what is mentioned.

Dealers need to know what they are talking about before giving out bad info. if they have not done it than they are not the ones to speak with and really shouldnt be giving advice on the subject.

Parts Needed:

(1) Paddle Assembly - Part#, 670013665 ($333.00)
(1) Steering Column Switch - Part #, 670025007 ($172.80)
(1) Steering Trim Lower Cover - Part#, 670024855 ($38.00)
(4) Mount Screws - Part#, 675000180 ($0.25ea)

Total Cost of Parts - $544.80 + tax.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Garage
its not incomplete bc i personally helped a friend do it last year. the lower panel cover is $38.

no clue what a "shorty stick" is...

DG Eurospeed
www.dgeurospeed.com
e: [email protected]
t: (305) 985-0775

ECU Tuning / Brakes & Rotors / BMC Air Filters / Wheel Spacers / Carbon Fiber Body Kits / Genuine Replacement Parts + More!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is a basic framework for a guide... at best. "Remove Airbag"? How? I think we all appreciate your efforts, but we need a real DIY guide for this. The guy who wrote up the DIY Oil Change, now that is a guide.

A "Shorty Stick" is the different shorter stalk that you need because the standard one sits about a c-hair from the paddles. I spent 2 hours at the dealership today. There is DEFINATELY a software update that changes the paddle graphics and also allows you to do something by holding down both paddles for a few seconds. No clue what, and the update didn't specify. Would love it if someone with the paddle graphics held down both paddles for a while and let us know if anything happens.

@mrpa1999 Your communication style would be more effective and more believable if didn't make definitive statements on things you are 99% certain of. I am sure you will reply with something about the software update is not needed because it is graphics only. Ok, that might be true, but to do it the right way, why would you not want the cool paddle graphics?

Quote:
its not incomplete bc i personally helped a friend do it last year. the lower panel cover is $38.

no clue what a "shorty stick" is...