User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Replacement Center Console Leather Quality

Just had the center console/armrest replaced under warranty as it stopped opening - common Ghibli problem, we all know about it.
Unfortunately the difference in quality of the new part is huge. The leather feels very rough, synthetic (my car has the Poltrona Frau leather) and also it has stitching at the corners, where the original part had the leather stretched over the edges, with no visible stitching. The dealer said this is the part they received as replacement and there is no other part number/code for a different console.
I wonder if mine is an isolated case or anyone else has received a lower quality replacement.

Asked the same question on the FB group and someone said the replacement steering wheel they received was as well of a lower quality than the original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
parts ordering for 156/157/161 cars vin filters down to the color/stitching options built into the vehicle via the buildsheet in the database. i've not persoanlly seen any stitching on center console lids, but i could see it being an option. to that end, it is completely feasible that the wrong part number ended up on the box. that'd be my money on a guess.
as to leather quality, i believe there was a change at some point as i saw quite a few armrests with terrible, terrible elbow wear and any replaced lids seem to have held up better with the same driver, if one were to assume the same wear would happen.

as for the leather on the steering wheel... i think there was a change at some point as quite a few wheels were wearing prematurely, flaking bits off. i'd imagine any change to the constitution of leather in commonly touched areas like arm rests and steering wheel would likely be noticable and felt.

tldr; i'd venture to say it feels different because it is, i think some prior durability issues were addressed behind the scenes.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yeah, it might be they changed the leather, probably using the same part to "solve" two separate issues - the lid opening mechanism failing, and the premature wear of the leather surface.

As for stitching, I'm not talking about the way the leather is installed over the edges. Not gonna go take pictures of mine, but here's a video showing clearly the issue.

For example at 0:14 mark you can see how on the original console the leather is stretched over the edges and corners, and at the 2:40 mark you can see how on the new part the leather is stitched on the corners.

Might not be such an obvious issue on black interiors, but mine has a sabbia light beige interior, and the stitching shows like a sore thumb.