20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why the hate on Maserati/Ghibli?

What is the deal with all the hate on Maserati and Ghibli? I follow guys like effspot on youtube and if he seems a Ghibli he cringes. he sees an M3 and he gets excited. I watch reviews of Ghibli from these third party guys and they hate on them to? Whats the situation? I mean i understand things like the shared parts .. light switches etc. but my God. I love my 2015 S Q4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Because of the dumb Americans - I don't mean to offend anyone, I'll try to explain.

First of all, Americans transformed Maserati into an adjective, describing something that the brand never was, something that would better fit Rolls Royce or Bentley. Just look how many rappers named themselves "Maserati" and how they use the word in their lyrics. The word Maserati became synonymous with ultimate style and luxury.
Second, Maseratis of the past were so expensive and rare, very few people even had the chance to see one on the streets, nevermind driving or sitting in one of them, or even knowing about their reliability and such.
Third, the poor marketing decision Maserati took by allowing the dealers to flood the US market with poorly spec'd and entry level cars, without having a proper service network first - I blame marchionne for this, but thankfully he's now out of the picture.

Add everything up and you'll end up with a case of "never meet your idols". A lot of people rushed to buy/lease the super cheap Maseratis as a status symbol, expecting something different, and they had a shock when they had to face the reality. Look around how many people literally throw fits when something minor like a light bulb goes out, because in their minds that should never happen to a Maserati, and their expectations were unrealistic - you'll see this on the FB group quite a lot. So what happened is that all those people that bought them as "status symbols" started complaining, badmouthing and such, and the Maserati image was ruined. Also the parts sharing with other Chrysler group cars didn't help, even if this was nothing new, Maseratis and Ferraris shared parts with Fiat and Alfas for years, but because Fiat and Alfa weren't sold in the US, people had no idea parts were shared.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah I have had countless people hate on my ghibli for some odd reason saying why would i buy it and such. I love it and I love the attention it brings to people who love it as well. Puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it and makes me even happier when people smile at it as well or say wow thats a maserati. So as long as the driver and owner is happy with it thats all that matters. Love the car and so far have only very very minor complaints which would be the bluetooth not working sometimes haha.
NYCSQ4 likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The Maserati Ghibli is absolutely a unique car in the US market. You see BMW’s, Porsche’s, Mercedes all over the place. Yes, these German cars are great cars with great specs with excellent build and quality...and frankly better on paper than the Maserati Ghibli. That all said, I just don’t think they are that unique. Honestly, how often can you truly use the better specs of an M5 or an MB AMG C63 when you spend most of your time driving at relatively normal speeds? I have a Ferrari California T and yes it’s fast but you can barely find places to use it’s power in normal areas (I live in Princeton NJ). I think the comments made about the Maserati Ghibli center a lot on the performance and I think it misses the uniqueness of the car in terms of looks and sound. Start one up and drive it through town and I guarantee you get more looks than a 911. I love the Italian cars as they are sexy and unique. They look great and sound great. I just got a 2018 Ghibli and it is a huge upgrade in fit and finish from the 2014 one I had. Let the haters hate. They are rating cars from spec sheets and not the love of driving. I have as much fun in my Ghibli as my Ferrari.
ChiTownMaser, alb and Emathieu like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 AM
alb

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluther View Post
Let the haters hate. They are rating cars from spec sheets and not the love of driving.
Words of wisdom.

Ghibli SQ4 2018 GranSport - all ADAS / 360° cam / Premium Pack / Nav syst. / B&W audio - Blu Passione - Rosso/Nero
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have not seen or heard 1 hater, and I will be owning my 14' SQ4 for 1 year on 9/30.

In fact, I've experienced quite the opposite. People get all googly over this car. I feel like Maserati did an EXCELLENT marketing job, as everyone thinks this car is like $150K and they are in awe of it! lol

I never buy a car for other people's reactions and attention to it, but this car gets about as much attention as my 14' Viper GTS.

Ron
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Nobody has hated on me either in 3.5 years of Ghibli ownership. Just lots of love, thumbs ups, and smiling nods. We're generally nicer in the Midwest

Current:
2018 Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Grigio Maratea / Rosso Premium Ext Leather w/Nero stitching
Exterior and Interior Carbon Pack / Hands Free Trunk
20in forged Anthracites / Red Brake Calipers
Nero Alcantara Roof Lining / Trident Stitched Headrests
Premium 900W HK audio / Skyhook
Heated / Cooled ventilated Sport seats
Opti-Coat Pro / 3M Crystalline Tint

2016 MB GLE 350

Previous:
2015 Ghibli SQ4 / 2013 Audi S5 / 2008 Audi A4 / 2001 Acura Integra GS / 1995 Acura Integra LS
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
People who hate (on) this car care more about audio quality, window switches, infotainment, and other fit and finish quirks

People who love this car care about that Ferrari F160 engine, the lightning quick differential system on the SQ4, and the factory exhaust system. i.e. the people who buy a car for the mechanical aspects, not the "luxurious" nature.

If i wanted luxury would've bought a couch. (or a lexus)
Emathieu and NYCSQ4 like this.

"“Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.”
~Albert Camus

2018 Ghibli SQ4 (fully debadged)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
All the hate against the Ghibli is really only found on the internet from people trying to sound knowledgeable, but in reality they are just parroting Doug DeMuro's comedic review here:

The review is scathing and very funny, but really not fair or accurate. The price he keep citing ad nauseam is just the inflated MSRP. No one really pays MSRP for the Ghibli, and deals abound. (My 2017 SQ4 was listed for $85k and I paid $68k) So, the price of the Ghibli is competitive when compared to a 5-series or E-class, and really a bargain when compared to its true competitors the more sexy 6-series Grand Coupe and CLS. The features DeMuro claim are missing are not anymore (plus they are mostly unnecessary nanny features anyway). The only legitimate beef is the sharing of parts with Chrysler, but even that complaint is B.S. when you really look at it. Sure, the Ghibli has the same window controls at the Dodge Dart.
Ghibli:

Dodge Dart:

But there are no real complaints about the window controls. They do all the things they need to do (window goes up, window goes down, doors lock, doors unlock, mirrors swivel, etc.) and everything works perfectly fine. They also look nice (IMHO). Maybe the Dart has really nice switch gear as oppose to the Ghibli's being cheap. For comparison, look at the competition:

MB CLS:

BMW 6 Series:

Audi S7:

I see very little difference. But every hater of the Ghibli will drone on about the cheap feeling Chrysler switch gear. I think it is nonsense. In fact, I dressed mine up with $30.00 of Chinese carbon fiber, and I think mine looks the best of the bunch.
lawtyger likes this.

Current: 2017 Maserati Ghibli S Q4
Past: 1990 Chrysler TC by Maserati 2.2L 16-valve Turbo
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto View Post
All the hate against the Ghibli is really only found on the internet from people trying to sound knowledgeable, but in reality they are just parroting Doug DeMuro's comedic review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZnqnB6xDo

The review is scathing and very funny, but really not fair or accurate. The price he keep citing ad nauseam is just the inflated MSRP. No one really pays MSRP for the Ghibli, and deals abound. (My 2017 SQ4 was listed for $85k and I paid $68k) So, the price of the Ghibli is competitive when compared to a 5-series or E-class, and really a bargain when compared to its true competitors the more sexy 6-series Grand Coupe and CLS. The features DeMuro claim are missing are not anymore (plus they are mostly unnecessary nanny features anyway). The only legitimate beef is the sharing of parts with Chrysler, but even that complaint is B.S. when you really look at it. Sure, the Ghibli has the same window controls at the Dodge Dart.
Ghibli:

Dodge Dart:

But there are no real complaints about the window controls. They do all the things they need to do (window goes up, window goes down, doors lock, doors unlock, mirrors swivel, etc.) and everything works perfectly fine. They also look nice (IMHO). Maybe the Dart has really nice switch gear as oppose to the Ghibli's being cheap. For comparison, look at the competition:

MB CLS:

BMW 6 Series:

Audi S7:

I see very little difference. But every hater of the Ghibli will drone on about the cheap feeling Chrysler switch gear. I think it is nonsense. In fact, I dressed mine up with $30.00 of Chinese carbon fiber, and I think mine looks the best of the bunch.
This is actually one of the videos i was speaking of. Nice post with the photo comparison dude. I agree 100%, Things like the window switches don't bother me at all. I get nothing but thumbs up and "beautiful car" when I'm out in it. I am referring to videos like this.