Cylinder 3 misfire, burning oil/blue smoke, please help! - Maserati Ghibli Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cylinder 3 misfire, burning oil/blue smoke, please help!

Hello, I bought my 2014 Ghibli SQ4 about a year and a half ago, and havent had many issues with it until today. I was driving around and all of the sudden it started to stumble and hesitate and the motor was shaky and rough, and the check engine light started flashing. I pulled over instantly, turned it off, and had it towed home. I then checked the oil to see if it was low. It was at the 'MIN' fill line, so I topped it off until it was back at the 'MAX' line. I thought that was weird, since I just got the oil changed 3 months ago (2,000 miles). anyway, after that, I did an OBD test on it and it gave me a P0303 code (misfire in cylinder 3).

Then, I decided to start it again to reverse it into the garage, but when I started it, it cranked for a long while and eventually started and still sounded very rough and the CEL was still flashing. Also, I noticed a good amount of blueish smoke coming out the exhaust while it was running for that brief amount of time. I also noticed a fairly strong smell of fuel coming from the front of the car.

so- given that I have a misfiring cylinder code, lowish oil, and blue smoke coming out of the back, its leading me to believe that some of the oil may somehow be leaking into cylinder 3 causing it to misfire and burn the oil.

The car only has 26K miles on it, I have not replaced the plugs yet. I am not exactly sure how I should go about fixing this....my plan as of now is to just replace the spark plugs and to replace the ignition coil on cylinder 3, and hopefully that will fix the misfiring (I have read that those are the two most common culprits for cylinder misfiring). The blueish smoke coming out of the exhaust is still very concerning to me though...

If someone has had a similar issue, or knows whats going on, or how to fix it, then please offer up any advice you can, I would really really appreciate it!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Hi,
My advice would be to do a compression test while the plugs are out, this will clarify whether it is a mechanical problem with cyl 3 (which I hope not) if compressions are OK, you have nothing to worry about.

A coil ans new plugs will certainly resolve the problem.

Another test you can do, is to swap coils around and see if the error DTC follows the coil or stay on the same cyl.

It's quick and costs you nothing, might even save you buying a new coil.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
FredVr, thank you for your response!

I unfortunately do not have the tools (or skill set) to do a compression test myself, I would have to have the car towed to a shop to have it done. Should I do the compression test before I do the plugs or anything else? Or should I do the plugs and igniton coil first to see if that fixes it before I do the compression test?

Also, I like your idea about switching around the ignition coils, I will do that.

Quick question- Which exact spark plugs do you guys recommend? Should I just order 6 OEM from the dealership, or is there a better option.

And lastly, when I do get the new spark plugs,what is the torque specs for them? I don’t want to over or under torque them.

Thanks again!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:12 PM

You can always try to change everything and see if it cures the problem.

The plugs seem to be NGK SILKAR8C-6DG gap 0.6mm
Cheaper every else than the dealer...

To be confirmed by other members. (I have the Diesel version in Europe)

Torque is here
https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/...orque-settings

Don't worry too much little risk to rip the thread, but careful not to crossed on start up, this is the most important.

Good luck, keep us posted.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
issue didnt get resolved

I finished replacing all of the spark plugs today, as well as the ignition coil for cylinder 3 (the cylinder that was causing the code P0303)

I used proper torque specs and got all the certified parts from the dealership.

Unfortunately, I am still having the same problem. I started it back up and it is still running rough. the check engine light is still flashing, and there is still a whole lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I let it run for about 1 minute, and then I tried driving it down the street and back (1/4 mile), to see if it just needed to be "broken in". nothing changed, still spat out a lot of smoke and stumbled upon acceleration, and the code is still showing P0303.

Do I need to just let it run longer? or will that just make it worse?

what else would be causing this issue? I am really starting to get worried that this is something very serious (and expensive). if anyone has any advice then I would really appreciate it, thanks a ton!

Matt
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Hi Matt,

What did the old plug looked like?
If you can't put a picture here, this site is not easy for this, send it to me on my PM.
I'll leave you my mail in MP on here.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

^^Here is a picture of the spark plugs from cylinder 3 and 2. the one on the left is from cylinder 2, and the one on the right is from cylinder 3 (the cylinder that is causing the code). there was alot more buildup on the one from cylinder 3, and it also smelled a little like gasoline, whereas the other plug did not. Thanks again!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:33 AM
BGB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need to do a compression test next, a compression gauge is cheap and will take you a few minutes to confirm if you have a big issue or not.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:44 PM

I would be tempted to say injector problem.

Could also be burnt valve, but if the problem happened suddenly, it is unlikely.