Guys, keep your Maserati (or buy one now). NO MORE FERRARI ENGINES. - Maserati Ghibli Forum
User Tag List

3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Guys, keep your Maserati (or buy one now). NO MORE FERRARI ENGINES.

Indeed, it's true. Ferrari (NYSE:RACE) CEO Louis Camilleri confirmed this week that they will no longer be supplying engines to Maserati (NYSE:FCAU). I won't get into the details as to why (lots of financial considerations), but here are a few takeaways:

- this will happen 2 years from now (so around 2021/2022)
- it was Maserati's decision. However, Ferrari was happy to accept, saying it could use the resources on it's own cars/products.
- again, this is CONFIRMED (not speculation)

I've been talking to lots of car enthusiasts, and it's difficult to predict exactly who will be Maseratis next engine supplier. The company is certainly too small (and sales too weak) for Fiat Chrysler to develop a bespoke engine.

My personal prediction-- It's widely rumored that the next-generation Dodge Charger will receive the chassis from the current Ghibli/QP4/Levante. So I wouldn't be surprised if Maserati used some form of a Hemi engine from Dodge/Jeep. Of course, it wouldn't be labeled Hemi (and would be specially tuned by Maserati), but the engine block/internal components would be very similar.

I'm so glad I bought my 2018 SQ4 new. As someone who babies and keeps cars for 10+ years, this is definitely good news.

What are your thoughts?

"“Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.”
~Albert Camus

2018 Ghibli SQ4 (fully debadged)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I personally don't think the value is going to shoot up on our cars. Way to many were produced. I could see them taking the Hemi engines like you mentioned. What about Alfa? the QVe engines are Ferrari as well..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Not going to buy another Maserati without a Ferrari engine.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought FCA had just discovered that they’ve cheapened the Maserati brand and are looking to return it to exclusivity. With that in mind I doubt a regurgitated Hemi is going to be on the menu.

Unless they were just full of BS. In that case I’m saving-up for my new Maserati NASCAR edition. Complete with Hemi and a rebel flag on the roof!

A more likely scenario is FCA will drop or sell the whole line. When manufacturers drop primary suppliers or primary suppliers drop manufacturers it’s usually a precursor to doors closing.

Last edited by edh13; 05-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
I'm sure now that the companies are no longer under same ownership with only a supply agreement holding the relationship in place there are a couple thoughts ...

1) Ever wonder why the supplied engines in Maserati's are "de-tuned" compared to their full potential.
2) Price ... I suspect Maserati is trying to hold the line, while Ferrari is looking to improve profit ... over the former cost model. And maybe there was some minimum / maximums set in the contract ... clearly Maserati volume is no where near what they tried to achieve.
3) Rumor has it there are on-going unresolved issues with the Ghibli engine supplied by Ferrari ... those seized engines and repair costs are being covered by Maserati ... not Ferrari.

Ferrari has done well since they became independent ... you never know about Maserati as a standalone ... they need proper funding and high end partnership to properly make the leap into the 2020's.

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Grigio Mareata // Cuoio-Black Extended Leather Interior
Cold Weather - Luxury - Sports - Premium packages
20" Urano Polished Summer//20" FT-6 Gun Metal Winter
Gtechniq professional // 3M Crystalline 50%
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Sad. Always wanted a Maserati, Finally put myself in a place to afford one, i buy one, i love it and now the brand is just going ****. Wild how much hate these cars get from all these youtubers and exotic/luxury car guys. Imagine the hate when they no longer have Ferrari sourced engines in them. Oh well.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not just You-Tubers killing the brand. This exact forum has done a lot of damage. On the bright side, it allowed me to just buy a pristine 1 owner lease return 2016 S with 19k miles for only $37k from Penske Ferrari. Includes full CPO warranty, fresh service, new tires and complete brakes.

Gonna drive the crap out of it for the next 3.3 years and unload it just like my last 3 Jaguar CPO’s.
MFE III likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
Not just You-Tubers killing the brand. This exact forum has done a lot of damage. On the bright side, it allowed me to just buy a pristine 1 owner lease return 2016 S with 19k miles for only $37k from Penske Ferrari. Includes full CPO warranty, fresh service, new tires and complete brakes.

Gonna drive the crap out of it for the next 3.3 years and unload it just like my last 3 Jaguar CPO’s.

What makes you say that this forum has caused damage to the Maserati brand?
NYCSQ4 likes this.

Shaummy

2016 Bianco/Rosso Ghibli SQ4
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
As I said on other forums: I am glad that Maserati finally ended this toxic relationship/ownership with Ferrari.

It might have made sense 20 years ago when Ferrari took control of Maserati, but years have proved that it wasn't the best decision in long term.
Maserati - a company with a rich heritage - had nothing to gain from this relationship. They've been downgraded to nothing more the "poor's man Ferrari" status, inheriting all the bad parts - reliability, price, service, and almost none of the good ones - except sound, everything else, performance, handling, quality, has been shadowed by Ferrari. This really attracted the wrong crowd of customers, which were mainly posers without enough money to afford a Ferrari.
I mean, since the late 90's when Ferrari took ownership, the company was barely alive until the 2013 introduction of new models which had less Ferrari tech. After the 2015 Ferrari's spin-off from FCA, which was nothing more than one of Marchionne's financial swindles, it made even less sense. They started paying Ferrari retail price for engines that literally make half the cars' value and they got a bad deal with the warranties - Ferrari was making double digits percentage profits from the engines they were selling to Maserati and Alfa. This couldn't go on, so they made the right decision.

I really hope their new plan of bringing the company more upmarket, as it should be, and starting their own line of engines - which they are perfectly capable of designing, will help them find their lost identity.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Also, as far as reliability is concerned and the damage some dumb Youtubers have done, Maserati suffers from the same problem Apple does.
Objectively the new Siemens designed factory and quality control procedures, are probably on the cutting edge of automotive manufacturing, and the quality is better than ever, but, the sheer volumes they sell nowadays, coupled with very picky owners (I really should say dumb posers), made this a problem. Just like Apple when they sell so many units, a defect affecting 0.01% of all their phones, suddenly turns into a "gate" scandal, simply because how much 0.01% means out of total production.
Maserati has jumped from a few hundred to a couple of thousand cars sold yearly before 2012 to almost 60k. Couple that with the "picky owners" that bought the cheapest entry-level spec cars just to get the badge, knowing nothing about boutique companies, expecting the be all and end all of automotive industry, and there goes the brand image. Something not even return customers on this forum, people who are now on their 4th or 5th Maserati or 2nd Ghibli, can fix.