Warranty Coverage Incomplete - 14-15 MY - May 2019 Communication - Maserati Ghibli Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Warranty Coverage Incomplete - 14-15 MY - May 2019 Communication

Dated May 21, 2019, I received a letter from Maserati North America indicating my warranty coverage was incomplete, adding an addendum to the original warranty and indicated a review of service completed showed no service that falls within the new updates.

I sent a request for clarification, as it appears this is for MY14 and MY15 and specifically calls out California Emissions and 11 other states for applicability.

I'm an early original MY14 owner. What caught my attention was it extended the warranty to 7 years or 70,000 miles; which ever comes first, for the following parts if installed as original and all service was properly done to owner manual specifications, (plus a standard list of exclusions from abuse, modifications and etc ...).

• Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Brake System Module (BSM)
  • Transmission
  • Crankshaft
  • Intake and Exhaust Camshaft
  • Intercooler
  • Intake Manifold
  • Low Pressure Fuel Pump
  • High Pressure Fuel Pump
  • Fuel Rail and Fuel Injectors
  • Underfloor Fuel Pipe
  • Fuel Tank
  • Turbocharger and Exhaust Manifold
  • tic Converter

It also references several parts that are 8 years or 80,000 miles whichever comes first that are covered under US Federal Emission Warranty

• Catalytic Converter
  • ECM
  • OBDII connector

I suspect some of you will also get the letters too. Not sure the criteria being used other than 14-15 MY models which are and/or soon will be out of original factory warranty, while MY16+ are still under factory warranty and likely have upgrades over this generation's early Ghibli's.

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Grigio Mareata // Cuoio-Black Extended Leather Interior
Cold Weather - Luxury - Sports - Premium packages
20" Urano Polished Summer//20" FT-6 Gun Metal Winter
Gtechniq professional // 3M Crystalline 50%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Beerguy, I also received this letter today. It was a nice and an unexpected surprise! :-)
...though I've been fortunate and had no real mechanical issues in my 4 + years of owning a MY14.

This gives me added reassurance that Maserati is standing behind their Ghibli product.
I only put around 6K miles on mine annually, which fits fine with my ownership plans.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Am I correct to assume they are basically extending the factory warranty?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How can I check if this applies to my 2014? I am the second owner, so even if the letter went out, it probably won't reach me.

Peter
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWIP View Post
Am I correct to assume they are basically extending the factory warranty?
That's what it would appear, (and my service manager also interprets same), for the selected items in 3, 7 and 8 year categories.

What's confusing is the warranty emissions note starts out with the ... applies only to vehicles certified for sale and registered in the state of California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, new Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

They do reference contact your local Maserati service or Maserati Customer Care (1-877-696-2737) or email [email protected]. Most of this is for service that could have be been out of pocket that is now potentially covered under the updated warranty.

I drive mine for pleasure or to the office which is very close to my home ... so only 13K miles on odometer and have been very fortunate with reliability only requiring routine maintenance and boatload of Maserati campaigns to correct early model year defects.

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppuczko View Post
How can I check if this applies to my 2014? I am the second owner, so even if the letter went out, it probably won't reach me.

Peter
Best to contact your local Maserati service or Maserati Customer Care (1-877-696-2737) or email [email protected]

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
This is interesting. My car is at the dealer now for some work, and when I'll get it back I'll ask them if this applies for Europe too.
Would be a shame if this is only for MY14 and MY15, as my MY16's warranty ends in a couple of months and I'd love to have the warranty extended for free another two years, without paying 4k Euro to buy the extension.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshy View Post
This is interesting. My car is at the dealer now for some work, and when I'll get it back I'll ask them if this applies for Europe too.
Would be a shame if this is only for MY14 and MY15, as my MY16's warranty ends in a couple of months and I'd love to have the warranty extended for free another two years, without paying 4k Euro to buy the extension.

It's not as comprehensive as the extended service contract, but they must have some rationale for this plan of action and the "select" parts chosen along with the US states referenced in the letter. I'm guessing but is this some sort of mechanism to minimize the flooding of these cars on to market or some type of agreement/settlement to address the potential failure rates of the referenced parts. The letter speaks to emissions, but those parts are not all directly related to emissions.

I guess we'll stay tuned to hear more as it becomes communicated. There are folks getting reimbursed for out of pocket repairs that are now covered under this warranty update.

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGuy View Post
It's not as comprehensive as the extended service contract, but they must have some rationale for this plan of action and the "select" parts chosen along with the US states referenced in the letter. I'm guessing but is this some sort of mechanism to minimize the flooding of these cars on to market or some type of agreement/settlement to address the potential failure rates of the referenced parts. The letter speaks to emissions, but those parts are not all directly related to emissions.

I guess we'll stay tuned to hear more as it becomes communicated. There are folks getting reimbursed for out of pocket repairs that are now covered under this warranty update.
BeerGuy

can you maybe post a copy of that letter? (you can of course redact your details)
I have not received anything so far on my MY14

I asked my service technician and he had no idea about this, and now he is asking me what I have heard/read...

thanks!

2014 Ghibli SQ4, Grigio Maratea, Cuoio
2006 Mustang GT Premium, Black, Red leather
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, Hydro Blue, Black
2010 Porsche 911 S Convertible, Silver, Black
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I received this letter as well, not sure if I should read this as a good will action on Maserati's part or a forced requirement by some govt agency.