possible change in sound (later models) - Maserati Ghibli Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question possible change in sound (later models)

Hello

I have a 2014 base model Ghibli (petrol). I have recently had to opportunity to drive a 2018 for a few days. Lots of nicer/better features (camera, blind spot monitoring, displays (generally) better sound system, etc etc. But these to me are minor. The big kicker for me, however was that the sound of the exhaust was nowhere near as loud/ deep as the 2014. The later edition seemed higher pitched. '

I have read elsewhere that something may have happened around 2015 re the exhaust sound (as I have indicated) "changing. Previous to my opportunity to drive both, some people if mentioned this to rather "poo-pooed" the idea.

Does anyone (who has heard both) agree with me???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Yes, they've changed the sound each model year. I don't know the specifics as I was never interested, but I'm too curious what's physically changed. All I know is that the MY17 as the quietest and also can't be started in sport mode, and that they've made MY18+ sound a bit louder again.

There is also a slight difference between the base and the S/SQ4 models
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
the biggest difference i've noticed is the way the wastegates actuate on shifts. 14-16 ghiblis were a longer mid volume braaaaap. 17 and up cars seem to have a very short and concise BRAP that is louder as well.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00bk View Post
the biggest difference i've noticed is the way the wastegates actuate on shifts. 14-16 ghiblis were a longer mid volume braaaaap. 17 and up cars seem to have a very short and concise BRAP that is louder as well.
This is a pretty good description if you ask me. I had a 2015 SQ4 and now a 2018 SQ4. The 2018 has a more refined, precise sound. The 2015 screamed wildly, especially on cold start. I personally like the 2018 sound a tad more, but that's just a matter of preference. I loved the way the 2015 sounded too.

Current:
2018 Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Grigio Maratea / Rosso Premium Ext Leather w/Nero stitching
Exterior and Interior Carbon Pack / Hands Free Trunk
20in forged Anthracites / Red Brake Calipers
Nero Alcantara Roof Lining / Trident Stitched Headrests
Premium 900W HK audio / Skyhook
Heated / Cooled ventilated Sport seats
Opti-Coat Pro / 3M Crystalline Tint

2016 MB GLE 350

Previous:
2015 Ghibli SQ4 / 2013 Audi S5 / 2008 Audi A4 / 2001 Acura Integra GS / 1995 Acura Integra LS
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
At the last Ghibli east coast meet-up we had the opportunity to line up all the cars and start them up. It was interesting as all model years had a slightly unique personality, while it was clear the MY14 was the deepest and most raw in sound, (also had the most waste gate rattle). I also noted the Enzo "tuned" MY14 SQ4 was even louder and deeper sound (idle and revs) with factory exhaust ... it was only car with tune at that event

There was an ECU emissions update that many claimed robbed their MY14-16 of the deeper raw sounds. I did not notice a change on mine. I have driven the newer Ghibli's (2019) which are more refined (exhaust tuned) and as mentioned earlier more precise in sound profile ... which I thought was a good balance. Even with added insulation in deck and behind seats, the highway drone on mine can easily overcome the "premium" system with 10db boost ... not complaining ... it's become my music on highway trips.

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Grigio Mareata // Cuoio-Black Extended Leather Interior
Cold Weather - Luxury - Sports - Premium packages
20" Urano Polished Summer//20" FT-6 Gun Metal Winter
Gtechniq professional // 3M Crystalline 50%
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nice to read. ,,,,,,,. "It was clear the 14 was the deepest and most raw in sound". While I was only comparing the 14 and 18, (and it is a very significant difference, IMO) it was good to hear from someone who has "lined them all up".
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Yup. I have a 2018 SQ4 and noticed the same.

Maserati did this (along with hundreds of other changes to the subframe, suspension, linkages, and obviously the electronics) in anticipation for the Levante release, a car (or should I say SUV) with identical underbody components to the Ghibli, only taller.

In fact, the Levante weighs the same (+/- 50 lbs, which is nothing for a car) as a Ghibli. Just goes to show you how "mirror image" both the cars' skeletons are. It makes sense, since Levante drivers are usually a bit older and don't want to shake out their dentures.

"“Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.”
~Albert Camus

2018 Ghibli SQ4 (fully debadged)

Last edited by HarvardLlama; 06-04-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvardLlama View Post

In fact, the Levante weighs the same (+/- 50 lbs, which is nothing for a car) as a Ghibli. Just goes to show you how "mirror image" both the cars' skeletons are. It makes sense, since Levante drivers are usually a bit older and don't want to shake out their dentures.
We'll Maserati must be thinking they like all that sound and experience ... the Levante goes up to 590 Horsepower and 538 torque in the Trofeo V8 version ... with a hefty $170K price tag. Even has the 550 HP GTS Levante ... all the Ghibli gets is the "S" engine with 424HP. Don't think Maserati wants to play too much with their entry level car ... which is a shame. Those V8's sound great ... something our Ghibli's will never accomplish with the 6 cyclinder ... even with a stage 2 tune.

BeerGuy

2014 Ghibli SQ4
Grigio Mareata // Cuoio-Black Extended Leather Interior
Cold Weather - Luxury - Sports - Premium packages
20" Urano Polished Summer//20" FT-6 Gun Metal Winter
Gtechniq professional // 3M Crystalline 50%
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvardLlama View Post
Yup. I have a 2018 SQ4 and noticed the same.

Maserati did this (along with hundreds of other changes to the subframe, suspension, linkages, and obviously the electronics) in anticipation for the Levante release, a car (or should I say SUV) with identical underbody components to the Ghibli, only taller.

not completely true. although the platform is very similar between ghibli and levante in design, appearance, and function, the parts are very different. everything is very upsized on the levante. the ghibli and QP share a lot of parts, definitely a lot more closely than the levante.
the weight difference is also closer to 300 lbs.

it is rather unfortunate that the ghibli doesn't get a GTS version, especially with alfa's release of the quad (which has essentually a GTS v8 with two cylinders lopped off. )
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a 2019 Levante loaner while the dealer can hopefully figure out why the satellite radio will not activate. I am not a truck/SUV guy, but the ride quality and comfort as well as road feel is outstanding. It is light years ahead of my 2015 Ghibli SQ4 in every way and has got me thinking of ways to trade my recently acquired 2015 for a 2017 or later.