So I test drove a Tesla Model S....
Lease coming up, so shopping around. Test drove a Model S, 2019, long range. And I liked it. Didn't love it. Thoughts:
1) Instant torque. Insane acceleration. Felt like riding a rollercoaster. I could feel my eyeballs pushed back to my skull and my face peeled back when I floored it.
2) Autopilot is cool for getting stuck in traffic
3) Stock radio sounds immersive
1) Instant torque without any sound or noise feels weird. I'm used to hearing a sweet exhaust note when I floor it. But here... nothing. It's startling, but emotionless
2) Regenerative braking: so incredibly bad- as soon as you lift foot off, it brakes, and hard to reclaim energy. Wife got nauseated with the constant acceleration and braking.
3) Fit and finish: Waaay cheaper than maserati. Doors felt flimsy, like a corrolla. Trunk wobbled when I closed it. Chrome looks cheap.
4) No sunroof on a 100K car, wtf
5) No apple carplay
6) enormous screen, which I view as a disadvantage
7) Stock radio lacks bass
In the end, the Tesla was quicker, but the model I was driving (long range 2019) lost oomph after 140 kph. Biggest problem is the lack of finish and polish on such an expensive car. People knock the Ghibli for this same issue (usually without actually driving one), but seem to ignore it for this car, which is actually significantly more expensive. Second biggest problem is the lack of sound. I've gotten used to burning dinosaurs and hearing a beautiful sound coming from the back- this doesn't quite do it for me.
I think I'll keep my SQ4, thanks; and wait for the Alferi like everyone else.