Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
29K all maintenance requirements performed by certified Maserati mechanics. Car was great, had no issues other than the entire rear diff having to be replaced after the mechanic dug into a noise he heard during a routine service, warranty cover that one. I’m here looking for any reasonable explanation or hypothesis that makes sense as to why cylinders 4-5 spun and 5 ultimately seized, ending the engines life after so few miles. Mods/ECU tune/air filters. I drive aggressively but not hard, if that makes sense. I was accelerating into a turn attempting to pass some slower traffic when I had one of those moments where your senses go into hyper awareness. The car hesitated and I backed off immediately, luckily I was close to Home. Called AAA and had it towed to the shop just to be safe, NO CEL or any other indications there was an issue. The car got to the shop and never ran again!! They pulled it off the tow truck and attempted to start it with no luck, thinking it was possible a dead battery they tried a jump but, no luck. Scratching their heads one guy attempted to manually crank the engine and that’s when this saga began.. does anyone know about tolerance issues with this motor or possible lubrications issues? I can’t seem to find the part of my brain that comprehends this particular failure, I have an average knowledge of engines so I’m hoping someone more qualified can help shed light on my situation. Any thoughts or questions?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know the oil pumps are known to have issues in the 14 and 15 models. Ever take note of oil pressure? How was the oil level?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Seen that happen many times on the 14s and 15s...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I drive with my oil pressure up on the display now just to keep an eye and see if it ever falls off. May not help IRL but mentally it feels like an ounce of prevention. I've thought about preventatively swapping out my oil pump for a new one, but the model numbers are identical. Maybe the pump itself has been upgraded and they kept the same part number?

MaseratiTechNNJ, do you know if that's the case regarding the part numbers? And would changing out the oil pump help reduce the chances of this occurring in the early models?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I drive with my oil pressure up on the display now just to keep an eye and see if it ever falls off. May not help IRL but mentally it feels like an ounce of prevention. I've thought about preventatively swapping out my oil pump for a new one, but the model numbers are identical. Maybe the pump itself has been upgraded and they kept the same part number?

MaseratiTechNNJ, do you know if that's the case regarding the part numbers? And would changing out the oil pump help reduce the chances of this occurring in the early models?
Possible, but I’ve never actually had a case where an oil pump would be approved for replacement. I’ve never personally replaced one or heard of anyone replacing one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts