Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased a MY 15 Ghibli in late November, 2015 and have passed my first 18 months. I'm no professional car reviewer, but my experiences may help those looking at the Ghibli as a used car or ones that are concerned about reliability. My review is strictly how the Ghibli holds up as a daily driver. To me, it's a surprisingly practical sports car. Complaints about "bin parts" I find ridiculous. You don't buy a Maserati for the nav or entertainment system. So what if the Nav is out of a Dart. It works. If the Italians built one on their own, it would look great, have problems and substantially increase the price of the car. I would rather have them focus on what they're good at- engines and design and buy the rest. If there were no way to take out cost, a lot of people would never drive this car including me.

My car is a fully loaded version SQ4 with an original sticker price of $94k. Current mileage is 16,300. I did the recommended service campaigns which were fewer in number than my two previous BMWs. I did have an issue with my springs. The dealer switched all four with new springs from Italy. I think that issue has gone away now with the newer cars. I still scrape those fork shaped flaps on the front once and a while but nothing like it used to. I've had one oil change (service) at the dealer which cost $500. Because of where I live, I added a set of Pirelli Sotozero 3 tires on Maser takeoff rims found on ebay. The snow tire wheels are 18" instead of 20" to give more tire height in the wheel well. Bad potholes can bend a rim. The traction of the Ghilbi in the snow is better than my previous BMW X drive. At 16,000 miles, my brake pads are 50% and my all season summers are probably the same. All the buttons and knobs are in place and nothing has just fallen apart. I kind of would expect some of that with an Italian brand but here, no surprises.

Maybe I'm lucky in that I got a "good one", but I follow a few practices that may have something to do with it. At cold startup, I change the display to oil temp. The RPMs are kept below 3,000 until the temp is all the way up. I also leave the car out of sport mode until engine reaches temperature (more so in winter months). My car came with a battery tender so I use it once per week in the winter and once per month in the summer. Don't let the gas tank go below 1/4. I've had CELs with low gas but then no problems after switching to an earlier fill. I have a nitrogen fill on my summer tires and have not added any air since purchase. People scoff at that sometimes but I think it works.

I'm happy with this car. It's an exotic with some practicality mixed in. It works as a daily driver and a few little extra care steps, it's quite worry free.

What I don't know of is some major service post year three, or something that must be done at 30,000 or 50,000 miles. Maybe someone with higher mileage can chime in about required maintenance after the third year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got 48,000 miles on my 2014 base model. Just did a service which included oil change and spark plugs, etc. for $1200 at the dealer. A little confused cause I thought they were supposed to replace the fan belt before 50K, but they said it didn't need it. Replaced tires for the second time last week at my local tire shop, Pirelli P Zero 18" for $1300. Second set of brakes still have 5,000 left on the fronts so I've got some time before that needs to be done. Once the warranty runs out I'll be looking for an independent to work on the car. It looks and runs like a brand new car. We Love It! No Complaints, No Problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is great to hear guys and girls.

Given that Italian cars have a bad name and that some people had some issues with early cars means that we need to get out there and talk up our experiences with the the general population. Thanks for taking the time to spread the good word.

I would love to get a used Ghibli as a daily driver to supplement my GT MC.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've got 48,000 miles on my 2014 base model. Just did a service which included oil change and spark plugs, etc. for $1200 at the dealer. A little confused cause I thought they were supposed to replace the fan belt before 50K, but they said it didn't need it. Replaced tires for the second time last week at my local tire shop, Pirelli P Zero 18" for $1300. Second set of brakes still have 5,000 left on the fronts so I've got some time before that needs to be done. Once the warranty runs out I'll be looking for an independent to work on the car. It looks and runs like a brand new car. We Love It! No Complaints, No Problems whatsoever.
How many miles did the tires & brakes last ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great to hear these good news posts. My 2017 SQ4 is now 6 months and I just returned from a trip up the east coast of the USA. Put 2500 beautiful miles on my Mas. Started with 1500 and returned with 4080. The Mas was perfect. The looks I got were so great. On a trip to a supermarket I came out with my groceries and saw a woman taking pictures of my Mas.
I usually drive in Sport mode, but during the longer runs up and down I-95 I put it in ICE just to see what MPG was possible. It averaged 27.5 MPG.
My wife and I love this car better than our previous Jaguar XJL, and Lexus LS460. I owned a Corvette for 22years and have not enjoyed a vehicle as much until this Ghibli.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 16MY Ghibli Diesel which I ordered new and had delivered in July 15. In the UK the 16MY cars thanks to Adblue meet the latest emission requirements and so far do not attract any higher running and parking cost taxes.
I use the car infrequently keeping it garaged, and have in just over two years covered only around 7,200 miles! However apart from one occasion over the winter, I can leave the car for weeks and/or months at a time and it will always start, only once leaving it on trickle charge via a Ctek charger.
In terms of reliability I have had one electronic glitch with the iPod connection which cleared itself after I left the car for ten minutes, and on one occasion all sound on the car failed - sat nav stereo parking sensors etc. A local dealer disconnected and reconnected the battery which cleared the problem. A buzz from the glovebox lid which I cured myself with some anti squeak tape. Finally the Stop/Start system has a habit of randomly activating itself, and now, last time I used the car out of curiosity I tried to intentionally activate it and found it 'Not available' so I will to check that next time I use the car.
Beyond those items the car has proved far more reliable than any of the previous Jaguars I have owned over the preceding twenty years.
To drive the car is very relaxing, and once warmed up, the diesel engine is very quiet. However in Sport mode thanks to electronics the exhaust produces a great V8 sound, and the 600 nm of torque give great performance.
I have Skyhook damping which helps give a reasonable ride whilst reducing role when cornering.
Undoubtedly the stand out feature is the looks both inside and out. Given its just a 5 Series or E Class rival it looks like a car that costs twice as much, and thanks to the badge most people think that too!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you

Thank you you all for your useful posts / reviews.

I am seriously considering purchasing a used 2016 petrol Ghibli, over here in the UK.

I've owned two BMW 3 series (both of which I also purchased at around the same age of just over 2 years old). I feel like something a little more exciting this time around!

Just looking at and listening to the Ghibli puts a smile on my face! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts