Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions and help. I have a car coming next month and need to decide in the next few days on 19" Proteo or 20" Urano wheels. I have not send the Proteo wheels in person, but on the website they look pretty good. The car is a sport packaged car so they come standard with sport.

My car is Blu Passione, the darker blue. I have yet to see one for sale anywhere in this color…seems I'm getting a not so popular color. I just thought the Blu Emozione while beautiful would get tiring to my eyes after a couple years so went the safer route with the dark blue which is very deep looking on a QP I saw it on…hopefully not making a mistake.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I favor the Passione as well. The Emozione seems better suited for a smaller sportier car imho. Anyway, in my judgment the 20s are a better fit on the Ghibli than the 19s for a couple reasons:
  1. The wheel wells are larger on the Ghibli than most cars. It's designed for a large wheel diameter, smaller (under 20") wheels look... small on the Ghibli
  2. The 20s have a more appealing design for the style and prestige inherent in the Ghible. The 19s are nice, but apart from them being a tad small they just don't feel correct on a Maserati.
Of course this is totally a matter of style and preference!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Go with 20"s. Totally different look of th car with 20"s then with 19"s. IMO everything under 20" makes the ghibli lines cartoonish. It's a curvy car so smallper wheels don't look good on it. There are some cars that look great with 19"s but ghibli is not it

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rims are such a guy thing!

I'd consider ride quality and whether you plan to invest in a second set for winter driving. Can you test drive both sizes?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I favor the Passione as well. The Emozione seems better suited for a smaller sportier car imho. Anyway, in my judgment the 20s are a better fit on the Ghibli than the 19s for a couple reasons:
  1. The wheel wells are larger on the Ghibli than most cars. It's designed for a large wheel diameter, smaller (under 20") wheels look... small on the Ghibli
  2. The 20s have a more appealing design for the style and prestige inherent in the Ghible. The 19s are nice, but apart from them being a tad small they just don't feel correct on a Maserati.
Of course this is totally a matter of style and preference!
You're right the 20's do look better, their design flows better and even the size is perfect for the Ghibli although I would consider lowering it a bit

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went with 19's.
Beside the practicality of 19's (more tires options as I replaced the OEM tires with UHP all season tires), I think it looks better.
I personally think 20's double spoke wheel design is already being used everywhere (BMW M wheels, Audi s package wheels). As a previous Audi and BMW owner, 20's design was boring for me. I wanted something different this time and 19's two-tone wheel was perfect for me.
Attaching a picture of mine as a reference.
It's at the end all matter of preference.
If I lived in California, I would have gone with 21's though :)

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Again, a matter of taste and preference but despite the 20" wheel a bit more boring in nature then 19", those huge wheel wells just don't look good with smaller sizes.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the feedback. My thoughts are the 20" wheels are rather boring as whitesunglass pointed out, a ton of cars have something similar. However as others pointed out, I agree the 20" tires, not wheels, look better on the car. I wish they had the birdcage wheels available for the Ghibli, a car like this deserves something unique.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went with 19's.
Beside the practicality of 19's (more tires options as I replaced the OEM tires with UHP all season tires), I think it looks better.
I personally think 20's double spoke wheel design is already being used everywhere (BMW M wheels, Audi s package wheels). As a previous Audi and BMW owner, 20's design was boring for me. I wanted something different this time and 19's two-tone wheel was perfect for me.
Those look like the 19 Proteos. I have those as well. I think they look great on the car. I was looking at the 20s and you couldn't really see that much difference. Definitely not worth the extra $1500 or whatever it is. Better off getting the Proteos and the ext. leather to spruce up the cabin a bit. Its not just about size its also style and the proteo is a beautiful rim and looks great on the Ghib.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went with 19's.
Great pic!

Is it Blue Emozione?

What colour trim is that. please?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fantastic!

The tan is called "cuoio" I think. Just the combo I'm going for.

Just waiting for the test drive of the petrol having already tried the diesel. Will then decide on the options and get my order in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts