Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the 19" Proteo wheels on my 2015 SQ4. I've been searching for wheel locks. Maserati offers a Security stud bolt kit part number 940000358 that is for new QP and Ghibli wheels. The issue I find is that many sellers (Maserati of Cincinaati and Continental Auto Sports as an example) state that this kit is not suitable for Proteo wheels. What are you using? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I usually stick with McGards for wheel lock bolts. Know that there's not a wheel lock in existence that will deter a determined thief. It just might deter an opportunistic one though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You guys leave your car parked out in public places overnight?

I have black bolt caps on mine that are circular and need a pull tool to take off. I guess it's not as secure as wheel locks, but it would certainly prevent someone who doesn't have the pull tool to undo the bolts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually stick with McGards for wheel lock bolts. Know that there's not a wheel lock in existence that will deter a determined thief. It just might deter an opportunistic one though.
Thank you for posting. I've used McGards on my vehicles and found it to be a good product. They don't list Maserati as a supported vehicle, so you have to then go to their spec page. I believe that an M14-1.5 30mm conical stud is what is used on the Ghibli and McGard has a product listed at M14-1.5 29mm. The issue I'm having is what is different about the Proteo wheels that makes the Maser kit unsuitable. Is it a special conical seat? I was hoping that someone had already run into this and found a solution. I guess I'll remove a stud and take some measurements this weekend.

btw - I like your thread on LED lighting - good info.

You guys leave your car parked out in public places overnight?

I have black bolt caps on mine that are circular and need a pull tool to take off. I guess it's not as secure as wheel locks, but it would certainly prevent someone who doesn't have the pull tool to undo the bolts.
Thank you for posting. Car is garaged overnight, but it is the wife's daily driver and as such it will see shopping malls, food store parking lots, on street parking at our daughters neighborhood and other locations. I just don't want to make it easy for a couple of guys in a van with a jack and impact wrench. I'll look into the bolt caps.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I highly doubt they made Proteo's so custom that McGard doesn't have a lock for them. It just wouldn't make sense from an inventory/manufacturing process. All conical seats are the same and M14-1.5 is fairly standard. 1 mm less shank length shouldn't make a difference... as long as you can get 7-8 turns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I highly doubt they made Proteo's so custom that McGard doesn't have a lock for them. It just wouldn't make sense from an inventory/manufacturing process. All conical seats are the same and M14-1.5 is fairly standard. 1 mm less shank length shouldn't make a difference... as long as you can get 7-8 turns.
Yes, those were my initial thoughts - does not make sense, but we are dealing with a unique vehicle so better to try and find out. McGard has a good application guide. Once I remove a stud, I'll take some measurements and use the guide. I'll post up what I find.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am not a fan of wheel locks. They do their job and protect the wheels from theft but in cold weather I have had the "key' become brittle and break when trying to remove the lug nut. This is very frustrating and never happens at a good time.

I'll take my chances with the wheel theives.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not a fan of wheel locks. They do their job and protect the wheels from theft but in cold weather I have had the "key' become brittle and break when trying to remove the lug nut. This is very frustrating and never happens at a good time.

I'll take my chances with the wheel theives.
Interesting, I've never had that happen, but then again the winters in Maryland are not as bad as other places.
I've had the wheels and tires stolen from my car. Over night business trip, fellow employee drove so I left the car parked in front of the office. It would not have been so bad if they had not damaged the body where they jacked it. Then they just left it sitting on the tarmac. Insurance covered it, but what an irritation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, solution found. McGard part number 27181 work perfectly. Specs are M14-1.5 X 29mm conical seat. Torque spec from owners guide is 72 ft.lbs +/- 7 ft.lbs.

Thanks to all that posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts