Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my fellow members with the 20" urano wheels. 245 front 285 rear.
Have any of you guys found an all season tire for this combo? I have looked all around and people are telling me they don't exists. So my other options are to get dedicated snow tires and summer tires (which I rather not do). Tire rack quoted me 1400 for the winter tires which sounds like a pretty good deal.

Thanks, for the the help.

Michael

·
Registered
236 Posts
Are you in the US? You may be able to get a better deal on snows from your dealer. I was told there is a bulletin out now allowing the dealer to sell snows at a $600 discount. Not sure if this applies only at the time you acquire your car or if you can do this after the fact. Getting a set of 20" snows for about $1000 is a pretty good deal though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
To my fellow members with the 20" urano wheels. 245 front 285 rear.
Have any of you guys found an all season tire for this combo? I have looked all around and people are telling me they don't exists. So my other options are to get dedicated snow tires and summer tires (which I rather not do). Tire rack quoted me 1400 for the winter tires which sounds like a pretty good deal.

Thanks, for the the help.

Michael
I was told by my dealer that Maserati is offering a deal for 2014 cars with summer tires to get a set of winter/snow tires for $1000. That only applies to 19", 20", and 21" wheels. Maybe you can check on that.
For All season. There are not too many options, but there are a couple. I was offered at least 2 when I got my 20" aftermarket wheels. I was in a tire shop yesterday, they told me that Hankook offer them, too. Around $1100 installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called me dealer and they quoted me 1900 for the pirelli snow tires. Maybe the promotion ran out?

My thing is I know these summer tires aren't going to last me 12k miles so I rather get some good all reason tires that last longer. I'm not going 160mph or going around a track so I don't see the reason for all out summer performance tires.

Yxc145 do you have the model on the HanKook tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
I called me dealer and they quoted me 1900 for the pirelli snow tires. Maybe the promotion ran out?

My thing is I know these summer tires aren't going to last me 12k miles so I rather get some good all reason tires that last longer. I'm not going 160mph or going around a track so I don't see the reason for all out summer performance tires.

Yxc145 do you have the model on the HanKook tires?

Thanks
maybe you need to mention that offer from Maserati to them. They are "St-dealers". They will always try to get more money from you. This offer is on Ghibli with 19 to 21" wheels with summer tires.

With the Hankook, the thing is, rear tires, you will have to go with 275/35/20 instead of 285/35/20. Which works, too. I believe it is called Ventus S1 Noble. I believe Yokohama makes those sizes, too.
I currently are running this set up on my 20 x 8.5 and 20 x 10 wheels on a set of even cheaper tires. They are running just fine. Like you said, we are not racing/tracking the car. I think those tires will work just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just on the phone with the tire rack guy for a while. He said, although there is no all season for our 20" rim car, we could go with what you suggested.

Rear Hankook Ventus s1 Noble 2

Front Pzero Nero all season.

Living here in the NYC area I need a little grip if the Ghibli needs to go out in the snow.

Interesting side note, the service manager at the dealer told me not to worry about the summer p zero I have on now in the snow cause of all wheel drive system. I have have these tires on other cars and all wheel drive turns into all wheel slide with these tires in the snow.

·
Registered
284 Posts
@michael79 what you might want to try doing is checking out popular wheel and tire shops around you and see what they can find. they might be of much more help

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
I have the 20" Urano's and been down this road.

1) The summer PZero tires are only rated for temperatures above 45F; and yes they drive when colder but you have lots of slippage and risk of tire cracking in cold temperatures. That is why they are not recommended at all in snow and you see all the comments on how they spin out and slip in cold temperatures ... regardless of AWD.

2) I did not find a suitable 20" all season 4 wheel staggered combination. If you down size with new rims to 19" for winter your really open you possibilities. Obviously you paid for 20" so not a preferred option.

3) The dealer discount was through 7/31 and yes if you did have them mount the tires and/or have a VERY flexible dealer (not to mount the tires) you could get the Pirelli Sotto3 for $850-1000 ... and I paid 1450 to take them home unmounted since I didn't have enough insights in March when I picked up the car.

4) I bought clone polished 20" Urano's + 4 new Maserati TPMS and mounted the Sotto3's for a quick change change over in winter .. storing in tirerack sacks in my garage. Hindsight, I might have bought an original set of 19" (all offered at good prices on forum and ebay) and put my own allseason and/or snow tires on plus have a spare set of like new 19" tires, (to keep, trade or sell).

5) Other option is Pirelli carving edge which are much more aggressive in snow ... I live in central PA and have no intentions of driving in deep snow so got the Sotto3's for the times I get caught in snow.

6) Your Pzero Nero and Hankock combination sounds reasonable, but part of me likes to stick with one family of tires front and rear ... that's just me.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just on the phone with the tire rack guy for a while. He said, although there is no all season for our 20" rim car, we could go with what you suggested.

Rear Hankook Ventus s1 Noble 2

Front Pzero Nero all season.

Living here in the NYC area I need a little grip if the Ghibli needs to go out in the snow.

Interesting side note, the service manager at the dealer told me not to worry about the summer p zero I have on now in the snow cause of all wheel drive system. I have have these tires on other cars and all wheel drive turns into all wheel slide with these tires in the snow.
Why are you getting 2 different tires? Hanhook has 245/40/20 for the front. I was told not to mix two different thread types of tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pirelli Cinturatos P7

Pirelli Cinturantos P7 all seasons

255/40/20 in front and 295/35/20 in rear

That's the comb my dealer put no another Ghibli. No rubbing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input. I have another car I can drive when the snow gets deep, but there will be times when I caught in some bad weather here. I personally don't like the idea of have mix matched tires but it seems that it wouldn't be a problem.

Also, I love the way the 20's look and I did pay for them so my intentions are to use them ;). Another option I found is Yokohama makes a set of all season, but the rear would have to be 275 instead of 285 which shouldn't be a problem either. They have gotten good reviews probably the way to go for me right now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Check out the fallen brand tires. I put a set on my quattroporte for winter in 20" and they work great. I did have to go to a 275 in the rear but felt it was better for winter traction to go narrower. I the tires were around $120 for the front and $140 for the rear on amazon. I had the same tires on my wifes Infiniti m45 and they lasted over 30,000 miles. for close to $500 for the set I don't think you can find better... and they are W speed rated...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I have another car I can drive when the snow gets deep, but there will be times when I caught in some bad weather here. I personally don't like the idea of have mix matched tires but it seems that it wouldn't be a problem.

Also, I love the way the 20's look and I did pay for them so my intentions are to use them ;). Another option I found is Yokohama makes a set of all season, but the rear would have to be 275 instead of 285 which shouldn't be a problem either. They have gotten good reviews probably the way to go for me right now.
Yes, Both Hankook and Yokohoma make those 2 sizes (245/40/20 and 275/35/20) in all season. If you want a even more economy brand. There is Delinte and Lionhart. I know they are cheap, Chinese brand, but those tires still have to pass certain international safety standards to be sold, right? (I hope). I had a set of Delinte on my E350 as a daily driver. They worked fine for Chicago city and highway driving for a year before I traded the car in. They are cheap enough that if I blow one out, I will just buy a brand new one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the 20 inch wheels and my service guy told me that it would be $2000 to buy the winter tires and would include them swapping them off my car.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
360 Posts
I just ordered the BFGoodrich g-force comp 2 a/s, 245/40/20 and 285/35/20, getting them installed tomorrow, will let you know!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Very curious to hear what you think of them!! I need to either buy a set of 18s and run Blizzacks or buy the BFGoodrich. The 20" P-zeros are "interesting" in any temp below 60 ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S 245/40 & 285/35 on my 2014 QP GTS for 2 weeks now. Drove through a lot of rain recently and they were great. I won't use them in the summer, but as a 3 season tire they're very good.

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
I've had the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S 245/40 & 285/35 on my 2014 QP GTS for 2 weeks now. Drove through a lot of rain recently and they were great. I won't use them in the summer, but as a 3 season tire they're very good.
Thanks for sharing the g-force COMP's are working out for you. Especially with the QP GTS having 530hp!!! You need something good to keep traction.

I've been happy with the 20" Sotto 3's as my cold weather tire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts