Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Well, on the plus side, my car has arrived, and is ready to pick up.

On the slightly less plus side, the rims didn't end up being what I thought I ordered, and so I need to urgently arrange some 20"s somehow.

Dealership is very helpful, but as it stands now there is no real way to swap out with any other Ghibli owners here (I think there are 3-5 of us here in Thailand now) it is looking like either I track down a set of wheels from another Maserati where the sizing and offset will fit on a base ghibli...or I buy aftermarket wheels.

My understanding of sizes is
front 20 X 8.5 114.3X5 offset 27mm
rear 20 X 10.5 114.3X5 offset 35mm

As my budget is blown out from buying the car anyhow, I am looking for a 'value engineered' solution but also a wheel that looks a bit funky relative to the stock OEM wheels, price wise a set of Rennens, HREs is a bit out of the question. I like the angular modern eurotuner sort of a look, something a bit striking, with some concave along the lines of a Novitec Trident or in either a gloss black, or black/silver or gunsmoke sort of a colour, can find some NICHE wheels that are price wise a bit closer to what I can afford and seem made ok and are locally available such as their Targa line.

I'd prefer to stick to the same sizes as the factory wheels, although not sure 100% this is possible, it may end up as 8.5 and 10.

Anyone got a good suggestion both in terms of sizing (and considerations with offset etc) in terms of whether there is a wheel off another Maserati model that can be swapped over (I doubt QP, but maybe there is a GT or similar that could work?) or another car with similar sizes that would be greatly appreciated. Any advice on the offset (I understand the rest but don't quite get this number) would also be much appreciated. Places to buy online, please advise, as it is possible I may need to purchase online and ship over here :-(

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
33 Posts
Offset is the distance from the center if the wheel to the mounting surface of the wheel. In your case, those numbers are likely positive. The mounting surface is closer to the outside of the wheel. A "deep dish" wheel would have a negative offset.

A smaller offset would push the wheels further out, which can look cool, but changes the suspension geometry by making the suspension arm effectively longer and can cause rubbing on the fender (especially front when turning).

There are other measurements that are critical, such as the backspace so that the rim clears the front face of the brakes, and the pilot diameter (size of the middle hole) and the bolt circle diameter so that the bolts line up.

Seek professional help as the wrong rim can create serious issues.

I once bought rims for snow tires where the pilot diameter was slightly bigger than spec. That means the rim can move slightly, relative to the center hole, even when bolted to the correct torque. It was like those clown bicycles where the hub is not in the center of the wheel. Not good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob.

I have handed it over to the Maserati dealer, but they are struggling a bit with it as well (I think) so I have also spent some time trying to get a few rim experts involved, from HRE, Niche and Vossen all of whom are here in Thailand. The big issue is trying to avoid importing a rim as that's a month of wait I don't want....when my car is ready to pick up (but without wheels driving it could be a little slow :)

From what I can tell, HRE, Niche and Vossen all already are setting wheels up on Maseratis (although not necessarily the ghibli) so they should know how to do. I hope!

·
Registered
278 Posts
So you have the 20' urano polished rims if i'm correct? Or do you want them... wich rims do you currently own then?

Anyway I have the urano's and I like them alot only thing I will do is paint them with glossy black aftermarket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Schnippy
Mine is a long saga, I thought I had ordered with the 21s but the car arrived with the stock standard 18s (a bit of a mix up I think as I was one of the first people to order a RHD worldwide). On the flip side I ended up with some options I hadn't thought I had so it's not the end of the world, and certainly no one's fault. We thought it would be possible to do an exchange with another car with 20s, but turned out that was an S, so not possible after all since it doesn't come standard with the base 18s.

So Maserati and I have concluded the only quick solution is after market. In the end have gone with Vossen CV3s, I wanted them in black/silver or a polished black, but they don't have them in stock, so I have ended up in silver only (about the only brand here which can provide wheels and tires now). Maybe it is possible to do a paint job, but I will probably just leave them as they are. I think they look better in 2 colours, but I am sure the silver will grow on me. There are loads of rims made here, but very few in a 20" size and very few that are forged so I ended up with Vossen which are cast I think and a bit heavier but I can live with that - luckily it turns out (and I never knew this before) Vossen is well priced here and the distributor is excellent in terms of customer service (so far...fingers crossed!).

Looks something like this, although mine won't be this low profile obviously:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5315/5912662839_3cc6fe74a5.jpg
or this but of course doesn't have the nice black/silver contrast :-(
Maserati Gran Turismo on VVSCV3 Wheels

·
Registered
62 Posts
you went with vossen because they were the only ones with stock that fit the ghibli specs right? i'm thinking of getting HREs, but do you know if they have any wheels that fit the ghibli wheels specs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! they are all nice choices. it all depends on what you like.
here is mine on some 20" forgestars F14 in piano black
20x9.5
20x12
with pirelli p-zero tires
and
lowered on megan racing coilover system.
168 Motoring did all the work for me!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts