Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Ghibli SQ4 a month ago and have been researching for that month on what wheels to get. This is my first time wanting to put wheels on my car. I'm afraid of losing the feel, ride and performance of the car, and for that reason i've been looking for factory OEM wheels even maybe wheels from a GT MC line. Need help to find what my best options are. Currently have the 18" Vulcano wheels with Pirelli tires. I do not want to spend too much on wheels since this car is a lease and would be a waste in my opinion to overspend on wheels.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
863 Posts
You can look at the after market 19 inch wheels with all season tires and you will be pretty happy unless you want to shed a lot of money for 20 inch and then keep two set ot tires one for summer and one for winter and keep switching back and forth.

Reactions: lucmed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not concerned with weather change since i live in Los Angeles. I just want better looking rims without losing the feel and performance of the car. I know that's like having the cake and eating it too, but that's what im looking for and if i cant find it then i will just stick with what i have.

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
If your concern is losing the feel of the ride, oem or aftermarket wheels doesn't really matter. What'll matter is the size of the wheel (will dictate how much tire sidewall cushion you can have) and the tires themselves you wrap them with. If you're going from 18s to 20s, doesn't matter if you're going OEM or not, you'll notice a difference unless the road is perfectly smooth due to the simple fact of not having as much tire to cushion each impact.

For the driving enthusiasts, you can get into other details like wheel weight which will help performance (power and MPG) as well as wheel width which will allow for wider tires giving better grip, but most people won't notice much difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If your concern is losing the feel of the ride, oem or aftermarket wheels doesn't really matter. What'll matter is the size of the wheel (will dictate how much tire sidewall cushion you can have) and the tires themselves you wrap them with. If you're going from 18s to 20s, doesn't matter if you're going OEM or not, you'll notice a difference unless the road is perfectly smooth due to the simple fact of not having as much tire to cushion each impact.

For the driving enthusiasts, you can get into other details like wheel weight which will help performance (power and MPG) as well as wheel width which will allow for wider tires giving better grip, but most people won't notice much difference.
Thank you for that, especially since i am a newbie to wheels and tires i don't know what to do. I want the nice look but i want to do it right. thank you for your input .

Also im reading about aftermarkets for higher end cars should be forged and not cast rims. What's your input on that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations On your new Ghibli Mas4G. I hope you get your wheels soon. Enjoy. Cheers mate.
Thank you Mangirek appreciate it. I really hope so too. I mean if i dont find what im looking for or the options im considering will go against me then ill most likely stick with what i have.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thank you for that, especially since i am a newbie to wheels and tires i don't know what to do. I want the nice look but i want to do it right. thank you for your input .

Also im reading about aftermarkets for higher end cars should be forged and not cast rims. What's your input on that?
Comes down to your budget. Forged are stronger and allows for the perfect custom fit. Cast are weaker, but depending on your road conditions, might not matter. Cali roads are decent generally, but there are some pretty bad pot hole spots.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
In my opinion, if you are going to shell out the money to upgrade wheels, do it right! Go all the way to 21 inch! You will not regret it (unless you hit a pothole)...

Reactions: lucmed and aznwhip

·
Registered
80 Posts
For what it's worth, I switch between 18 winters and 19 summers, and I can't really tell the difference in ride. The 19" Proteos, IMO, are a huge upgrade visually over the 18s, and relatively easy to find second hand.

If I was to do it again though, I'd suck it up and go for the 21" titanos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my opinion, if you are going to shell out the money to upgrade wheels, do it right! Go all the way to 21 inch! You will not regret it (unless you hit a pothole)...

Those are the ones I want just hard to find a non dealer. Everyone I asked said its a very rare wheel. Looks beautiful man

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont mind going with the 21" wheels, I even prefer it over any other i'm looking at. My issue is the fact that my car is a lease so paying too much on wheels will be a waste. If anyone knows where i can get the 21" titanos with the non dealer price let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What size width do you recommend for front and back for either the 20" or 21"
Do you recommend lowering it and changing to sport package suspension as well?

I just got mine about a month ago as well, and got quoted 10k for brand new HRE's with the best michelin tires and re-painting calipers. Quote was for 9" front and 11" rear in 20" wheels.

Thanks for input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I was looking into getting the MC Line stradale wheels for my Ghibli and the width for those were 8.5 front 10.5 rear and I will need spacers to put those on my Ghibli. i don't know if that information helps. But if it were me that would be a good thing to know and can base your decision on that. I don't know much about wheels I've only learned what I've read in this post and also speaking to many others. Sorry if I wasent much help

Also the stradale wheels mentioned above are 20" also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts