Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than respond to several existing threads from many of the forum members I have attempted to consolidate several of them into this one.

I live in on Long Island and fall into the over 60 category and am only really considering the Ghibli or Jaguar XF; a distant 3rd would be the S6. The Bimmer 550Xi etc doing nothing for me - awful color choices, run flat tires and despite or maybe because of all the high tech,

I was not intending to get a Ghibli until the fall of 2014, so given the 4 month lead time I was going to start my test drives in the Spring (LOL this year!). So I still have time to finalize my car!

Engine
No doubt about S Q4 with AWD - especially after this Winter

Color(s)
The exterior colors are beautiful, buit there is not a great selection of interior/exterior combinations on Ghibli- especially when taking headlining into consideration (Rosso anyone?)

Loved the recent posts showing Passione and Maratea (in different lighting conditions) exteriors but I am leaning towards the Metallo + Rosso - Radica- Nero/Rosso- Nero (Alcantara headlining) combination for my Ghibli along with the Nero/Radica heated steering wheel

Wheels/tires
Red-calipers will look great with the Metallo

Interesting post about the all season UHPs in Chicago; here in the NE theoretically I could 'just' get the Proteo's and the UHPs - as smaller wheels should be a no brainer in Winter IMO.

I would hate to miss out on the essence of the car by not using the best wheel/tire combos, but I don't really like the look of the Urano's and the 21" are BIG!!! For those who have received your cars what is the reality with regard to effect of 20/21 inch versus 19 inch on summer vs all-season - with regard to both ride quality and traction etc?

Which leads me to the suspension discussion and Sports/Skyhook.

Online pricing sites do not make it clear (at least to me) whether they are mutually exclusive i.e. if you get Sports package you can still get/need the Skyhook ?

Packages
It seems that shift paddles are now a separate option?

I wanted to get the Cold Weather package, Business Pack plus, Executive Pack Plus, Premium Pack, Convenience Package, laminated glass to go with the Sports Package

Audio system

I see all the information from Anderson about the poor quality of the Premium system - originally I was going to get the B&W system (given their reputation in the home audio arena). But do we have a resolution to the lack of HD on the radio system?

If I were to go with Anderson's recommendation, who in my area can be recommended/trusted to perfrom the upgrade to the Premium sound system

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
852 Posts
Either Sports suspension or Skyhook.......see threads with very detailed discussions and opinions. I bought skyhook blind and personally glad I made that choice. Paddles are a separate $500 option which i highly recommend. You really cannot go wrong with whatever you choose.........make the car yours and get what you like.......there are lots of threads on colors and combination. Good Luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It's either Skyhook or Sports Suspension. Skyhook will be a softer ride and is electronically adjustable via a button on the console. Sports suspension will be a firmer more aggressive ride and is mechanically adjusted based on the road conditions and driving dynamics…in other words is auto adjusts. Sports suspension also comes with the car lower…it's a more aggressive setup.

As for wheels, I went with the 20" uranos after originally ordering the 19" Proteos. Seeing pictures and the website, I thought the uranos were not my taste. However, I saw them in person and completely changed my mind. I have the darker titanium 20" uranos and they look beautiful against the red calipers on Blue Passione. Much better then the Proteos in my opinion as the Ghibli has very large wheel wells….so bigger tires even 1" just fill it better. I agree, the 21" tires are a bit too big.

As for winter, I will be using a 18" wheel/tire package. While All Seasons are not bad, an All Season tire that is 19" or 20" will not be great. A swap for a true winter tire at a smaller size like 18" will be much better. Although the Ghibli is AWD, keep in mind it is not the full time active system found in BMW or Mercedes. It is good, but not an SUV good AWD as it is setup for performance driving on a track more so then winter driving. There are some great videos of Ghibli's driving through the snow but those all have Winter tires, not all seasons.

Audio…I personally, if I could do over, not spend a penny even on the Premium audio system and spend $5K on aftermarket….you will have a much better system then the B&W which in my opinion is not bad but not great either. I made the mistake of buying the premium system, but at least it gives me the subwoofer in the rear-deck. However, you can certainly live without this with good aftermarket component sets.

I'm looking at all the "packs" you listed, are you not looking at the SQ4? Do not get a Base Ghibli…huge loss of power and of course no AWD.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely the S Q4 with AWD; I thought an after market solution might be more problematic if the Premium speakers were not already in place.

Skyhook vs Sports I can see difference when I test drive, I think without Sports Package I would just have to get the painted calipers and paddles separately to go along with Cold Weather package, Business Pack plus, Executive Pack Plus, Premium Pack and Convenience Package - the upside would be I could keep the base 18" wheels for Winter. In terms of wheels I like the 20" black Advanti for the summer to go with either a Rosso Energia /Nero/open pore or Grigio Metallo Rosso/Nero/open pore colored Q4 - only found the ones 'above' at Cincinnati so far

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...toModel=Ghibli+S+Q4&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=

I am also leaning to getting laminated glass from dealer rather than have to worry about finding certified/trusted opti-coat place in my area

Which takes to me to my quest to find a trusted after market audio guy for a system like the one you spec'd out; I also really miss HD radio, I use it a lot today not just music from Sirius, CDs, Ipods etc

Will be testing soon and hopefully ordering in time to take advantage of the incentives out there which seem to be 10% ish

·
Registered
348 Posts
Definitely the S Q4 with AWD; I thought an after market solution might be more problematic if the Premium speakers were not already in place.

Skyhook vs Sports I can see difference when I test drive, I think without Sports Package I would just have to get the painted calipers and paddles separately to go along with Cold Weather package, Business Pack plus, Executive Pack Plus, Premium Pack and Convenience Package - the upside would be I could keep the base 18" wheels for Winter. In terms of wheels I like the 20" black Advanti for the summer to go with either a Rosso Energia /Nero/open pore or Grigio Metallo Rosso/Nero/open pore colored Q4 - only found the ones 'above' at Cincinnati so far

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...toModel=Ghibli+S+Q4&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=

I am also leaning to getting laminated glass from dealer rather than have to worry about finding certified/trusted opti-coat place in my area

Which takes to me to my quest to find a trusted after market audio guy for a system like the one you spec'd out; I also really miss HD radio, I use it a lot today not just music from Sirius, CDs, Ipods etc

Will be testing soon and hopefully ordering in time to take advantage of the incentives out there which seem to be 10% ish
Opti-Coat is not laminated glass….Opti-Coat is a permanent paint sealant for the car. Laminated glass adds another layer to the glass to make the car quieter.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meant to say laminated in lieu of ceramic tint (NYS 30%) - downside there is the roar of the engine would be cut down too; opti-coat is a possibility though to save on claying/waxing etc over time

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have found an example of base S Q4 Rosso Energia with Newport Beach Maserati (waiting to hear back on inside color)

2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4 Los Angeles CA | Long Beach Anaheim Van Nuys California 725427620130805

but not one with any options for the NE (cold weather etc)

and also a better example of what was my next color choice metallo with Walnut Creek Maserati:

2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4 for Sale - 2127656 - duPontREGISTRY.com

Not sure yet if that look is too reserved/subdued and it also does not have the NE features like cold weather package etc

Nero Reibelle rosso would be my 3rd choice and there are quite a few to search there

Still trying to decide whether to jump now on any colored car that gives me the options I want or order for fall delivery or my 'car' - either way it seems I can take advantage of current incentives. The audio issues are a big concern for me - expecially as the B & W system is still less than stellar

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally test drove a Q4 today with my wife (Blanco / Cuoio + Proteo / Sports Package) at my local dealer which has 5 not 4 dealerships nationwide

She thought the leather did not compare to that of the QP but loved the sound and did not like the firm ride.

Met GM of dealer also and 'discussed' the naff sound system etc; was 'guided' to either lease now - given undisclosed pricing discounts or run 'risk' of increase etc with wait for 2015 with October delivery (which is NOT what other posts say - they state that 10% for a new order is still do-able); gentle pressure to purchase wheel/tire package and have them change tires semi-annually and that Energia/Rosso is tooooo much (which I could believe)

Also said they can opt-coat-pro and Xcel ultimate for me

Net is few cars en route have CW package; there are NONE with Radica and perforated leather; very few Rosso (mostly with Carbon and Nero if at all) and very few Energia Q4s

Not sure yet if car without a sun roof is available but the one I drove I thought was fine to drive - no issues with steering etc ; love that exhaust!

Saw the two blues all three grigios and Nero exteriors - wife liked grigio and I preferred Metallo. Saw Cuioio, Nero and Sabbia interiors - the latter too light for me and even though the Cuoio is the Ferrari color did not do anything for me; Rosso / Metallo is still my preference if I order (understated outside dramatic inside) and not compromise on Inventory car to lease now - there is nothing I would purchase now given no perforated leather and few radica

Net is I can forgo the CW package (NBD) but if buying I would want the perforated leather so leasing I would have the best shot at a compromise of Ebona or Radica and Cuioio, Sabbia or Nero interiors as Rosso are mostly with Nero Ribelle Carbon Fiber - unless I wanted to try the less common / popular Marone / Blue interiors

I would buy the car based on looks and drive but waiting to hear back from other forum members where they were able to order a custom build but still get the 10 - 12% current discount

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks dd,

I enjoyed reading your thread.

I did get 12 % off the Msrp.

It's being built since I am not in a rush with the way I like my car.

Looking forward to something new as my panamera was great for three years.

Joe

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I missed this one - you are the first though!

One of my golfing buddies calls me doubledee - as in dunkin donuts

Reactions: svelte

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Joe!

Still working on final build as skyhook demo is nowhere to be found and not heard the end of Anderson_b76 premium sound saga.

Off to the NY car show to 'side-by-side' the Ghbli and XF SC (sorry guys - I am a Limey so have to check it out) and at least the stereo system works

May also drop by Maserati Manhattan as etodd had great success there as you did at your dealer, whereas mine has been less that stellar

·
Registered
480 Posts
Joe
World Wide was great and Shimon Kada was the best! He was my sales rep and was the most helpful. My Ghibli arrives in June and I can't wait!
Steve

·
Registered
852 Posts
if you drop in to Maz Manhatten midtown location talk to Pete Lehman the business Manager and mention my name Ed todd these guys really love enthusiasts. He will get you to a good salesperson. if you go to the Holland tunnel location talk to tom Tommey he was my salesmen..........great guy and very accommodating answered all my emails day or night Good Luck!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine arrives in June as well Steve!!

Very excited.

He was extremely patient and no hard sales whatsoever.

I went many times before I decided to order my car.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NYC auto show update

Did the rounds today at the Javitls Center - good news for me is that I confirmed that I will only consider the Ghibli and the XF (be nice guys I am a Brit!). The two cars were only 100 ft apart so side by side was easy.

BTW What is it with all those complicated knobs and switches on the Bimmers and Mercs?

Learned that I do not want a Ghibli with wood in the steering wheel (think that means no CW Package for me) but still like the Radica not CF or Ebano and also confirmed that the rosso/nero interior is just what I need, as well as the 19" Proteos (will get DTD package for Winter wheels and tires).

Just means I have to choose exterior of one of the three grigios - wife would NOT go for energia and that interior.

Via Maserati rep at show I am waiting for a call about a Skyhook demo (Thanks Etodd!) so I can finally do a side by side against Sports package. Also conveyed again my displeasure with the naff (C**P) sound system as compared to XF SC and others and re-iterated "dump the premium sound package and seel B&W for $3 K not 5 K"

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
I too was down to the Maserati or Jaguar XFR path, (also Cadillac V's). All are very fine cars.

Even though the Jaguar dealer was 5-miles from my house I went with the multi-hour drived for a Ghibli S-Q4.

My reasons were Exhaust SOUND, Uniqueness and Exclusivity, Handling and Looks.

Either way, I still have a couple Jag's in the family and they are nice cars. My wife loves her Jag. And if your ever see a little old lady (sitting on pillows), driving an Jag XKR convertible in southern CT ... that's my mother.:laugh:

Interesting on wood in steering wheel ... not sure if you tried it on multiple cars, but I have it (open pore) and no issues for me.

Either way you can't make a wrong decision ... especially since you have help from your wife. I started with passione blue and after several snips from my wife about it not fitting my style ... I switched to the more classic grigio mareata.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did try on multiple cars - CF, Ebano and Radica and the gap/ridge was not offensive to touch but I did prefer the more 'full' touch (no 'ridge') of the 100% leather; the stitching (as you said) is only noticeable in the wrong aka 10 to 2 driving position)

My wife is adamant, so my 'dream' - lol of an Energia with rosso/nero interior is not to be. My second choice had been the Metallo with rosso/nero but now I am leaning more towards grigio and rosso/nero - even though the Maratea Rosso/Nero seems to be the most often chosen.

So right now 19" Proteos (winter from DTD)Preimum, Extended Leather+ventilated, Rosso/Nero, Radica, silver calipers no alcantara just Nero headliner, no laminated glass, paddle shift and 'just' waiting on shyhook or not, sound system and shade of gray

1 - 20 of 59 Posts