Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently bought a 2014 Ghibli "non-running".

40,900 miles. 1 year out of warranty.

Towed it to the dealership for a diagnostic. They found the engine would not turn over manually.

Result: engine is seized, 36000$ engine replacement option...

Has anyone rebuilt a 3.0 V6 (not the SQ4 model, just the base) before? I am sure a lot of the parts on my engine are still good and usable... Should I do more tests? remove plugs and try turning?

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's tough, sorry to hear that..

Pacific Motors and others often have them for $5-10k depending on miles and if it's an "S" engine.

Physically there isn't much of a difference between the base and the S models. Cams, fuel injectors and ecu for sure. Probably other items as well but those I know for sure.

Do you have any history on the car? Maybe drain the oil and inspect for metal bits visually or with a magnet? You could pull the plugs and check the cylinders with a cheap bore scope too. Just some quick thoughts. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's tough, sorry to hear that..

Pacific Motors and others often have them for $5-10k depending on miles and if it's an "S" engine.

Physically there isn't much of a difference between the base and the S models. Cams, fuel injectors and ecu for sure. Probably other items as well but those I know for sure.

Do you have any history on the car? Maybe drain the oil and inspect for metal bits visually or with a magnet? You could pull the plugs and check the cylinders with a cheap bore scope too. Just some quick thoughts. Good luck!
I see you're in AZ! Same! Do you service your car at the dealer or do you go to an indy? If so, who do you go to?

I removed the spark plugs and oil filter, I will upload pictures in my next reply.

I can't get enough room without removing the intake tubing to get a socket on the crank pulley but I removed the belts to see if any other component along the belt was seized and everything spins freely. I once has a compressor seized that wouldnt allow the engine to turn on a Jag so I figured might as well make sure none of the accessories are seized.

The crank still seems to be seized but I can't properly get a socket/ratchet in there so I will have to try removing some of the tubing.

Also, I may drain the oil from below and inspect for metal shavings. I may put some Marvel Myster oil in the spark plug holes and allow it to soak and perhaps free the pistons? if they are stuck?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 14s would always seize the most. The vehicle probably had a poor service history and the bearings seized. The oiling system in the earlier 14s and 15s was poor. If they say it’s seized I would more than likely believe them. You can fit a socket with an extension and a breaker bar on the crank pulley without removing any intake pipes. Marvel mystery oil will probably not solve anything. If it frees it up you’ll most likely get about 10 miles before it gets stuck again. That’s a big risk buying a car not running...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I see you're in AZ! Same! Do you service your car at the dealer or do you go to an indy? If so, who do you go to?

I removed the spark plugs and oil filter, I will upload pictures in my next reply.

I can't get enough room without removing the intake tubing to get a socket on the crank pulley but I removed the belts to see if any other component along the belt was seized and everything spins freely. I once has a compressor seized that wouldnt allow the engine to turn on a Jag so I figured might as well make sure none of the accessories are seized.

The crank still seems to be seized but I can't properly get a socket/ratchet in there so I will have to try removing some of the tubing.

Also, I may drain the oil from below and inspect for metal shavings. I may put some Marvel Myster oil in the spark plug holes and allow it to soak and perhaps free the pistons? if they are stuck?
My car has been mostly serviced at the dealer until this year since the warranty is now up. I've done my plugs and brakes myself and am about to do the oil. I'll probably do most of the routine stuff myself, time & weather permitting, and then indy for whatever else comes up. My dentist has a GranTurismo and I asked him where he's been going and he said he's had good experiences with his Maserati and his MB at Autobahn Autoworks in Tempe. I haven't needed to try them yet, but that's where I'd probably go.

Sounds like you picked up that replacement engine and have an adventure ahead. Keep us posted, sounds like a fun project! At least it's starting to cool off here. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I ended up buying an engine from a 2015 Ghibli with only 9K miles on it for 5250$ shipped!

My mechanic wants 1900$ to remove bad engine and put the engine in. Feels a little steep for me since I just spent 5250$ on the engine...

Maybe I’ll tackle it myself... not sure! Engine should be here in a couple of days!

13,900 + 5250 + 500 (misc fluids and detail)

Under 20K for the car with a 9K mile Maserati with an extra (bad) engine for parts... both turbos on the bad engine work. So if I sell the complete bad engine for even 2K (which I think is fair), I should have a 2014 Ghibli with 9K miles for around 18K... which I think is awesome!!!!

I’ll def post a lot of videos and pictures as I remove the engine and put new one in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That would be an awesome deal, even adding $2k to have it done for you would be a good all-in price, albeit maybe a little less satisfying if you like wrenching. Are you setup with decent space to handle an engine swap? Is the engine you picked up from a base or an SQ4?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be an awesome deal, even adding $2k to have it done for you would be a good all-in price, albeit maybe a little less satisfying if you like wrenching. Are you setup with decent space to handle an engine swap? Is the engine you picked up from a base or an SQ4?
I got em down to $1700 so he might be the one putting the engine in! He did an engine swap on my Audi Q7 recently and did it in my driveway. Very smart mechanic.

Engine I picked up was from a base RWD model. Not the S, not the SQ4. So theoretically it’s the same engine as what’s in mine rn.

I hope I don’t have any communication errors after new engine is in. Hope it all just talks to each other without issues and runs... 😂

I’m going to order oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, and oil pressure sensor and do all that before I put it in! Also if I see any leaks or sweating of oil anywhere, maybe I’ll change the gasket.

·
Registered
520 Posts
1900 and 1700 are a steal, considering warranty rate is 15 hours plus a few hundred in fluids and miscellaneous parts. good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Out with the old...

In with the new...

Replaced torque converter seal/oil filter/plugs/and oil pressure sensor before putting in new engine.

Fresh coolant, power steering fluid, engine oi etc

Fingers crossed everything works out!

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
Best of luck. Looking forward to how it works out when ready to fire up and drive!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best of luck. Looking forward to how it works out when ready to fire up and drive!!!
alright everyone!!! Everything was put together and the car STARTED!

Not a single fault code present. Drove the car around all day and LOVED the exhaust note.

passed emission testing (smog) today too. A job well done looks like!
Thank you all for following along the journey!

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
Congratulations and Great to hear ... car looks really nice in Nero with the Urano wheels!!!

Enjoy your new ride!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Fantastic!! Really glad it went smooth for you. Love our Nero Ribelle on these years that didn't have the body matched side skirts. Congrats on your build!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Loving the car! Can't get enough of the exhaust note... I always start it in sport mode and the first start of the day puts a smile on my face!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts