Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas? Doesn't seem to be a pulley. All was quiet 100% of the time until I swapped the belts. Belt alignments on all pulleys are good.
Squeals upon cold startup in New Jersey for maybe a minute and then goes away.
2014 SQ4 with 91,118 miles. 1st belt change. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ron

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi Dr Ron, try to spray some hair spray on it, it will give it more grip.
Is the belt exactly the same reference as the old one, because if it is 1/2" or 1" longer the spring tensioner will not be has tight as before thus, making the belt squeal.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not match up the new belt to the old one. I assumed the Italian shop that I purchased from knew what I needed.
The weird thing is that it only does it on initial start up or in the 1st minutes. Then I can drive for hours and it wouldn't do it again. I'd think if the size was wrong it would do it all the time.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Not sure, once its hot it's sticker and has more grip.
The guy might not have had the exact one in stock, who knows.
For example you can get belt in 5mm length step.
ie if you need a 1110, a 1115 will fit but the tensioner is not as tight.
Did you fit it yourself?
Is the old one gone in the bin already?
What is the exact length of the new one? Some one on the forum can confirm the original length, I can't mine is a Diesel one.
I can only see that or the tensioner is tired, but I don't think so, there a relation cause to effect, here it is the belt.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have the old belt.
The store said they cross referenced the 2 that they sold me.
I don't know the brand.
I really don't want to do that job a 2nd time though. lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi you should have a Number on the belt, try to see if it is the same as on the new one.
In Europe the numbers corresponds to the length and the number of grooves.
is 6V1110 will be a 6 grooves and 1110mm long. 1.11m.
I'll try to find the reference of the exact belt on the net.
You should have te reference of the belt on the invoice.

Here we go the reference should be 6PK2060 6 grooves and 2060mm long.
Did you change the spring belt for the alternator too?

I've seen the video on how to do it, WAOUH a real pig... No wonder you don't want to do it again.

If both belts have the same reference as the old ones, and they are properly in the grooves (easy mistake to do) then you won't have much choice but to use hair spray or belt product.

Watch this

Good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The #'s on the invoice are 286570 & 243857.
Those #'s were hand written on the belt labels I remember. That's what I meant by cross referenced. The belts had a different label but they were the same for what I needed.
The label is gone and I don't recall the brand or the original #. I think it may have been a Continental brand belt.
By the way, when I did the belt swap I did not remove the lower parts of the air boxex. I didn't think it was necessary. If the top of the fan shroud was 1" smaller or my hands were smaller the job would have been a lot easier!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hummm, if they are the right ones, there can only be an issue with the belt.
I have had an issue a long time ago with a noisy timing belt, it was warped, did not sit flat on it's side.
I put a new one and problem solved.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hummm, if they are the right ones, there can only be an issue with the belt.
I have had an issue a long time ago with a noisy timing belt, it was warped, did not sit flat on it's side.
I put a new one and problem solved.
Yeah, so after trying several "tricks" (none of which worked) I decided to bite the bullet & ordered the OEM belts from Scuderiaparts.com & will have to do this job a 2nd time. Uggh..
It STILL squeals for a good 20-30 seconds upon cold start ups only, then goes away. The sound is annoying and embarrassing. That's why I will do this again.

Ron

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi Ron, shame, what make is the one you installed?
I've read somewhere that one make is prone to be noisy.

Once remove, put it flat on its edge on the floor and see if it contacts all the way along the belts, that's the way I found it when I had my issue with a timing belt.

Also check the position of the tensioner with the noisy belt and with the new belt.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Ron, shame, what make is the one you installed?
I've read somewhere that one make is prone to be noisy.

Once remove, put it flat on its edge on the floor and see if it contacts all the way along the belts, that's the way I found it when I had my issue with a timing belt.

Also check the position of the tensioner with the noisy belt and with the new belt.
Continental I believe.
I MAY do the belts tomorrow morning. If not I will do it in 2 weeks on the weekend when I do the transmission oil & pan & an oil change too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I had some time this morning so I replaced the belts. Squeal is gone. This time I did not remove anything like the YouTube videos show. I only removed the 2 upper air boxe housings and filters. I was able to maneuver my hands and the belts. I cut both belts to remove them. I did the job in just under an hour this time!
The hardest part was getting good light to see what I was doing. The engine has so many hoses,etc running all over the place!

Ron

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It wasn't a "stretch belt" and apparently the oem belt is.
Plus some belts just squeal I've been told.
The rest of the fluids I'll be doing In 2 weekends.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts