Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I failed my Warrant of Fitness (MOT) because my left hand headlight aim is too high. When we turn the adjuster it clicks - I think it is seized within (or just outside of) the headlight assembly (possibly an adjuster gearbox at the end of the adjuster cable) and it is two plastic gear cogs that are clicking against each other.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem and can recommend a solution? I am of course reluctant to just buy a new headlight and install it by removing the front bumper bar. I fear the cost of a headlight replacement at the dealership.

I have accessed the adjuster by removing the left hand bonnet latch and popping up the left hand air box. This allowed me to remove the top adjuster bracket where the white adjuster screw is. Turning the adjuster screw suggests the problem is at the bottom of the adjuster cable - there seems to be clicking coming from what may be a little gearbox.

There seems to be a 10mm nut on the back of the headlight adjuster gearbox. Can I turn that to free the seizure and/or to adjust the headlight aim height.

Cheers

Catweazle NZ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The photo below shows the area of the problem. The nut on the back of the adjustment gearbox seems to be plastic. I think I can access this unit through the wheel well from underneath - that will be tomorrow's task.

I am hopefull that I can remove the adjuster and fix the problem.

Catweazle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the headlight adjustment unit viewed from within the wheel well after I removed the inner guard AND after I disconnected the adjustment stalk. I can turn the 13mm plastic nut with a socket but it seems not to adjust the headlight level.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

This is the adjustment stalk after I disconnected it. I lubricated the adjustment unit and refitted this stalk. I can turn the top white screw on the end of the stalk (and the clicking does not occur) but the headlight level does not change.When I turn the 13mm plastic nut on the back of the adjustment unit the stalk also rotates - so their gears are engaged.

Motor vehicle Gas Electric blue Auto part Nut

So the next step will be to remove the headlight backplate and see if I can find the level adjustrment mechanism. Hopefully I can do that from below via the wheel well.

Cheers

Catweazle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts