Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with the timing chain on their Ghibli engine? My 2016 Ghibli reached 60K miles and while driving it on the highway one evening the car would not accelerate. I pulled off the highway and the car completely died. I thought it was the battery or the starter but after having it towed to my Maserati Mechanic I found out the engine seized up because of the timing chain. All the oil changes were done in a timely manner but I heard that there is an issue with this on the Ghibli's after 60K miles and that if you catch it in time the dealership can replace the timing chain but if you don't catch it then you are SOL.

·
Administrator
2,783 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with the timing chain on their Ghibli engine? My 2016 Ghibli reached 60K miles and while driving it on the highway one evening the car would not accelerate. I pulled off the highway and the car completely died. I thought it was the battery or the starter but after having it towed to my Maserati Mechanic I found out the engine seized up because of the timing chain. All the oil changes were done in a timely manner but I heard that there is an issue with this on the Ghibli's after 60K miles and that if you catch it in time the dealership can replace the timing chain but if you don't catch it then you are SOL.
Sorry to hear. I've not seen that as a common issue with the Ghibli V6 engines. The oil pump is one that comes up more frequently leading to a seized engine if you don't catch it.

Reactions: Lmeyersarcher

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hello @Lmeyersarcher
We regret to hear that you are facing this concern with your Maserati. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may provide additional support throughout your dealer visit.

MaseratiCares

Reactions: WillyWins

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's strange, did you encounter any symptoms that seem like a misfire, engine shake or rattling noise at any time beforehand? This should definitely not happen at only 60K if maintained per the Owner's Manual.
No it was running fine and then when driving on the highway one evening the engine light came on and when I pulled over it shut down and I couldn't get the car to start. I had the car towed to my Maserati mechanic and he told me that the engine had seized up. The car had been maintained with the oil changes etc. He stated it looks like something to do with the timing chain. He looked for a used engine and eventually has been rebuilding the engine but due to covid it has been difficult getting parts etc. It has been 6 months now and I am hoping this gets completed soon. The car has 60K miles so it was out of warranty unfortunately.

·
Administrator
2,783 Posts
Do you know a reputable company where I can get a used engine for a 2016 Ghibli
It's hit or miss. Many folks find these engines or contacts on eBay through reputable salvage shops. I haven't used this particular vendor but as an example they are parting out a Black 2014 V6 SQ4 engine with 32K miles and has a good reputation. That's just an example of how we find the engines or start making contacts. Ideally, you would like a new engine that has more of the upgrades and not the faults of the early generation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No it was running fine and then when driving on the highway one evening the engine light came on and when I pulled over it shut down and I couldn't get the car to start. I had the car towed to my Maserati mechanic and he told me that the engine had seized up. The car had been maintained with the oil changes etc. He stated it looks like something to do with the timing chain. He looked for a used engine and eventually has been rebuilding the engine but due to covid it has been difficult getting parts etc. It has been 6 months now and I am hoping this gets completed soon. The car has 60K miles so it was out of warranty unfortunately.
Sorry to hear I didn't think the timing chain on F160 engine was common though I believe you're the 2nd person I've read about a similar issue. Scuderia sells the timing chain for $39 each, but I'm not sure if you encountered valves or other damaged parts with this failure. Keep us updated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts