Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Writing this post to help others and hopefully give you one source to know your options to upgrade.
The base stereo does not have an external amp. It also does not have a center channel or subwoofer. The speakers are cheap Fiat Alfa Romeo speakers. The doors are 6.5" 20 watt woofers. There tweeters are 1/2 inch 15 watt. If you had a center channel it is a 3.5" 8 ohm but can take a 4 inch My upgrades: Alpine 5 channel amp. Dayton 408 DSP. Alpine type R 6.5 component speakers front and coaxials in rear. Switched fronts later and will explain. To add an Amp is a huge PITA. I paid an installer to do this. He only charged me $300 and was money well spent. He pulled the head unit. Cut the speaker wires and ran to two JL LOCS and then ran speaker wire from the amp in the rear to the cut speaker wires. I did not need the LOC, but my bad for not getting a DSP prior.
The Alpine speakers are a good choice bc the crossovers are in line and you don't need to run wire through the door jam. Running through the door jam is a big job. Don't do it unless you have to. While you have the door off install some serious sound deadening. It's important to put the deadening on both sides of the inner door panel right beside the speaker. I had to go back and do this when I still had vibrations. Also add some foam between the speaker adapter and the mounting ring.
For the tweeters you need to cut off the factory tweeter mount under the grill. The tweeter will sit in the hole in the dash just fine and use some mounting tape to secure.
For the rear doors I left the factory tweeter and just added Alpine coaxials. Surprisingly the 15 watt tweeters haven't blown yet. I made a custom sealed sub box with two 12 inch Skar subs. The custom box is only 10 inches deep and exactly 2.3 ft3. This still gives you some decent trunk space. The box sits on the edge of the wheel well. With this much power I was getting a lot of vibrations. I already talked about the doors. I added sound deadening to the trunk lid. License plate, and a little on the center brake light. Because you have no factory sub the hole is wide open and that's good. I then took off the rear seat roof handles and crammed some poly fill on top and behind the rear roof light panel up in the headliner. It vibrates a lot at certain frequencies. You need to cram a lot in there using a pole. The head liner is tight, but just pry it open about a inch and it will be fine. The two subs are probably over kill, but tuned right isounds amazing.
So after all done I wasn't happy . Two much separation in the front sound stage. I added a center channel to fill in the middle and didn't like it. I won't go in how to create a center channel, but if you want to know pm me and I will tell you the options.
So the issue is the tweeters are so far from the door mids that they don't blend and having them on the same channel makes time alignment on the DSP impossible. Options are run a second amp and power the tweeters seperate and set time delay on the DSP. I noticed the rear sounded great so I tried this and it works great. I replaced the Alpine door 6.5 mid with a coaxial. So I have coaxials in the doors and tweeters in the dash. That gave me a good blend and dialing in the DSP doesn't make the treble overkill. The tweeters in the dash raise the sound stage. On the DSP I set the time alignment in the fronts to bring the bass from the subs forward and have presets to center on me when driving by myself and in the center with company. Overall I have about $1500 all in so it's reasonable, but the result is prenominal. Only remaining issue is the Uconnect has a pathetic DAC and your options are limited on that.
If you want to go big then run seperate wires to the tweeters, no crossovers and cross from the DSP while running seperate amps.
The Dayton DSP has an optional wired remote to control volume and presets. I don't use for volume, but it is great for presets. You can save 6 presets and with the 408 you can eq and time align each channel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great information. Thanks for sharing. Do you happen to know how much mounting depth there is in the front door speakers? I've been casually looking around for a set of speakers but not sure how much room is in there for mounting them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No clue. No issue with the Alpines I think you'll be alright regardless. I felt like there was plenty of room when installing and I doubt you'll find many that are much deeper. I did find that my window guide was loose though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my 2018 Ghibli, it seems that the speakers are awful. I have driven less expensive cars with more power. Is is really ta cheap and si tehre anything to get ore volume without spending a lot of money> I am leasing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on what stereo you currently have. Do you have a subwoofer in the rear deck or just an open hole where it would go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good question. I am as naive as they come. Don't even know where or how to look. Also, have you ever experienced any high pitch squeaking sounds coming from wheels when driving high speed? Was told it was dirty and they wanted to charge $200 to clean is tat crazy? Never had that on my 2015

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately there is not a cheap solution. You would need to add an amp, front speakers and a sub. This is what I bought and paid. Alpine 5 channel amplifier $500. You could get something decent for $250. Dayton 408 DSP $180. Alpine component speakers for front $120. I built a custom subwoofer box with 2 12 inch subs. $300. I paid $350 to have someone install the DSP and AMP and did the rest myself. The amp install you do not want to take on with the base audio. It involves taking apart the dash, tapping speaker wires and running RCA's to the trunk. You could skip the DSP with the right Amp and buy a prefab sub. I went overboard. No regrets at all as I have an amazing system now for a decent price. Just fyi. My subs I put in a sealed box and it's only 10 inch deep. It's tight accurate bass that a turn down about 25 pct most of the time so 2 I'd probably a little much for most.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good question. I am as naive as they come. Don't even know where or how to look. Also, have you ever experienced any high pitch squeaking sounds coming from wheels when driving high speed? Was told it was dirty and they wanted to charge $200 to clean is tat crazy? Never had that on my 2015
Never heard of that, but Maserati dealer is great when you're under warranty, but they are out of control stupid if you have to pay. I just took mine in and have them a list if every little tiny thing I could find. Took them a month to fix it all, but for what we paid I expect perfection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting post there thanks! I have had my 2019 for a few months now and really regret having the base sound system. I have been trying to figure out what I can do to make it better without changing the head unit so far I haven't really had any luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Never heard of that, but Maserati dealer is great when you're under warranty, but they are out of control stupid if you have to pay. I just took mine in and have them a list if every little tiny thing I could find. Took them a month to fix it all, but for what we paid I expect perfection.
What was on your list? Im curious of what I should do too.😀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts