Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

so I have been chasing down a sloppiness in the suspension along with a pretty bad vibration on the highway that the dealer has yet to be replaced. A slew of things have been attempted, but to no resolve.
I recently stumbled upon some posts about cracked strut tower/chassis’ in the front with what I believe to be similar warning signs on my car.
What is strange is, it almost looks like I have some, in which they were attempted to be hidden or painted over… which seriously worries me. To my eyes, it seems like there are some pretty noticeable cracks, under a nice and thick layer of paint mind you. Either that, or A) I’m crazy, or B) I’m overthinking it.
What do you guys think from the attached photos?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grey Helmet Shoe Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grey

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
Look under the plastic cover where the strut comes through the frame. Is it cracked and/or has it been repaired with a plate.
Here are some very obvious examples of cracked strut towers.
(25) Cracked Chassis | Maserati Ghibli Forum

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look under the plastic cover where the strut comes through the frame. Is it cracked and/or has it been repaired with a plate.
Here are some very obvious examples of cracked strut towers.
(25) Cracked Chassis | Maserati Ghibli Forum
so I popped off the covers and took a look, along with some photos. I can’t see/tell if there are added plates, but it does look like the drivers side is not centered with the opening. It seems to actually be quite a ways out of alignment within the opening. The passengers side looks to be perfectly centered. See pics below. Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions…? Asking on this forum, because the dealer has been anything but upfront and accepting of any “issues” since my purchase.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Metal Circle Auto part Fashion accessory

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, if it isn’t obvious what I’m referring to in the photos above, I attached a photo with the area I’m referring to circled, along with arrows indicating what direction in which I feel like it’s skewed too far up out of center. Keep in mind, the dealer just performed a SECOND front alignment about a week ago, after doing one a few weeks before that…
White Automotive tire Red Automotive wheel system Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
One of mine are not perfectly aligned and haven't been a problem. I don't see any cracks and/or previous strut repairs ... by 2018 the strut tower design had changed/improved.
I'm sure they checked the control arm, ball joints and steering rack for wear. My control arm was replaced years ago and made a huge improvement in tightness and eliminated some vibration on tight slow turns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts