Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 SQ4 Ghibli and when I started it up and put it into Sport Mode, I fell in love with the sound of the exhaust! Much to my disappointment when you start driving the beautiful exhaust note disappears!
This message is really to MASERATICARES, I have seen multiple treads were there are numerous questions about the exhaust note changing or disappearing with no real answers accept speculation about the age of the vehicle to Maserati changing the ECU tune to quite things down!

Then the other day I was given a Levante loaner while my car was in for service and Wow the sound I heard from the exhaust was fantastic.

MASERATICARES what can you do for all the people on this forum that are complaining about this issue for years? Couldn't you give us cars guys who want that sound a special tune or something to let the Ghibli sing like the Levante?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lmao what are you talking about?!

The valves on the exhaust are open when in sport mode and you are idle or above 3k RPMs. If you want them open all the time just pull the vacuum line on one of the mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The valves on the exhaust are open when in sport mode and you are idle or above 3k RPMs. If you want them open all the time just pull the vacuum line on one of the mufflers.

Happy New Year to you and thanks for your reply... Not helpful but thanks for adding your 2 cents.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Maybe a DIY video you can make on how to pull the vacuum line on one of the mufflers..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Happy New Year to you and thanks for your reply... Not helpful but thanks for adding your 2 cents.
Not sure how that’s not helpful, I explained how the exhaust valves work.

What might be helpful is you posting a video of the issue you are describing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would not cut it or a hole because then you can’t undo it later.

No codes or anything. It all after the cats, resonator.

I would put a golf tee or something in the end of the line so dirt and junk doesn’t get in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how that’s not helpful, I explained how the exhaust valves work.

What might be helpful is you posting a video of the issue you are describing.

Let me restate the issue I am having: A few weeks ago when I brought my 2019 Ghibli in for warranty work they gave a 2019 Levante (345hp version) as a loaner. The Levante's exhaust note was noticeably louder in normal and sport mode. There was no need to rev the engine above 3000rpm and when it down shifted you could hear the rev matching sound that is music to my ears.

There is no doubt that there is something different between the Levante and the Ghibli's tune and or exhaust setup, physically or through ECU mapping. The tech at the dealership told me that my Ghibli's sound is normal but also agreed that it was pretty quiet compared to the Levante. So my question is and I am directing this to anyone who can tell me what the difference including MASERATICARES, why is the Levante loader than the Ghibli?.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can’t tell from the diagrams but they are different part numbers, where as the earlier Model Years shared a part.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For 2019 and up both the Ghibli and the Levante had a change in the exhaust design. The earlier models had a central resonator and a H pipe. For 2019 and up, they added Gasoline Particulate Filter, removed the central resonator, and added an X pipe in its place. To Maserati's credit, they still managed to make them sound pretty much like the older models.

Inside the cabin, the Ghibli and Levante are bound to sound different despite having the same engine. The acoustics of the cabin is entirely different owing to the different shape and volume of the cavities. You may want to check if they sound all that different from the outside.
If you have the optional noise dampening glass for rear window panes, that also might be contributing to the reduced exhaust noise/music inside the cabin.

Like nitrobass24 mentioned earlier, even in sport mode, the flaps are closed between idle and 3k RPM reducing the loudness. This is done in order to reduce the engine drone inside the cabin while cruising, and hence that RPM range. If you want louder exhaust at the expense of hearing the drone, unplug the vacuum line to leave the flaps permanently open.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For 2019 and up both the Ghibli and the Levante had a change in the exhaust design. The earlier models had a central resonator and a H pipe. For 2019 and up, they added Gasoline Particulate Filter, removed the central resonator, and added an X pipe in its place. To Maserati's credit, they still managed to make them sound pretty much like the older models.

Inside the cabin, the Ghibli and Levante are bound to sound different despite having the same engine. The acoustics of the cabin is entirely different owing to the different shape and volume of the cavities. You may want to check if they sound all that different from the outside.
If you have the optional noise dampening glass for rear window panes, that also might be contributing to the reduced exhaust noise/music inside the cabin.

Like nitrobass24 mentioned earlier, even in sport mode, the flaps are closed between idle and 3k RPM reducing the loudness. This is done in order to reduce the engine drone inside the cabin while cruising, and hence that RPM range. If you want louder exhaust at the expense of hearing the drone, unplug the vacuum line to leave the flaps permanently open.
Preetham, thanks for the detailed explanation... My dealer's tech didn't have the details you just described, but have you been in a 2019 Levante or Ghibli recently? There is no comparison between the two. The Levante sounds fantastic no matter what RPM. Also, even if I had the noise dampening rear glass panes, I'm not sure if I do, that would not explain why I can hear the exhaust at idle and not while driving. I am going to try removing the vacuum lines, seems like they are only closing on the Ghibli and not the Levante below 3K RPMs...Needless to say I am disappointed that I have to do that to get the sound that should be there already...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drive a 2019 Ghibli. I haven’t driven a 2019 Levante so I don’t have a reference point for comparison. It’s natural that as you drive off some of the road noise muffles the exhaust note. How does your car sound at higher RPMs? Also, have you tried driving a different 2019 Ghibli to see if it is a problem with only your car?

·
Registered
217 Posts
TRati19, are you saying that your exhaust note has changed since you first purchased the car? If so, do you have any service records showing an ECU update or something being performed on the car since you purchased it?

A cold start will obviously sound much louder since the fuel mixture is temporarily rich to heat up the cats. After a minute or two of idling after a cold start, you should hear a noticeable reduction in the exhaust sound as the mixture leans out to normal.

With the car running and in park, you should be able to toggle the Sport mode and then visually look in the tail pipes to see if your valves are opening and closing based upon the mode. Maybe the module that controls the vacuum feed has failed?

Reactions: El Patron

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Preetham, thanks for the detailed explanation... My dealer's tech didn't have the details you just described, but have you been in a 2019 Levante or Ghibli recently? There is no comparison between the two. The Levante sounds fantastic no matter what RPM. Also, even if I had the noise dampening rear glass panes, I'm not sure if I do, that would not explain why I can hear the exhaust at idle and not while driving. I am going to try removing the vacuum lines, seems like they are only closing on the Ghibli and not the Levante below 3K RPMs...Needless to say I am disappointed that I have to do that to get the sound that should be there already...
I'd do as you suggest. Remove the vacuum hose and see if that makes a difference ... AND physically make sure you see the values are open. That should at least give a feel for sound potential.
Maserati has changed the "tuning" of the exhaust and ECU several times since 2014, (once to meet US emission standards).

The early 2014's are noticeably louder, harsher in sound, with a very prominent drone at low rpms / highway speeds. I have tried both 2019's and can say my 2014 is noticeably deeper and louder than both. That said, we lined up a row of Ghibli's at one of former meets and everyone of the cars sounded different ... almost if they had different personalities.

As Maserati has moved towards cleaner emission standards they have slightly sacrificed some of the sound and tried to re-tune to make up for it. Right or wrong, Maserati deliberately tried to reduce the drone to appeal to more of the masses.

Just a guess on my end, but the Levante engine is likely tuned differently, (different emissions classification for SUV).

If the vacuum hose removal doesn't give the expected results, see if you can listen to a few other Ghibli's at your dealership for a reference. Others have gone aftermarket for more aggressive sound. I personally, like the Maserati GT - MC factory sound as my target, but will never get there with a V6.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is it possible to go to dealership and have the untune the exhaust and or ecu and put it back the way it was before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd do as you suggest. Remove the vacuum hose and see if that makes a difference ... AND physically make sure you see the values are open. That should at least give a feel for sound potential.
Maserati has changed the "tuning" of the exhaust and ECU several times since 2014, (once to meet US emission standards).

The early 2014's are noticeably louder, harsher in sound, with a very prominent drone at low rpms / highway speeds. I have tried both 2019's and can say my 2014 is noticeably deeper and louder than both. That said, we lined up a row of Ghibli's at one of former meets and everyone of the cars sounded different ... almost if they had different personalities.

As Maserati has moved towards cleaner emission standards they have slightly sacrificed some of the sound and tried to re-tune to make up for it. Right or wrong, Maserati deliberately tried to reduce the drone to appeal to more of the masses.

Just a guess on my end, but the Levante engine is likely tuned differently, (different emissions classification for SUV).

If the vacuum hose removal doesn't give the expected results, see if you can listen to a few other Ghibli's at your dealership for a reference. Others have gone aftermarket for more aggressive sound. I personally, like the Maserati GT - MC factory sound as my target, but will never get there with a V6.
BeerGuy, Thanks for your reply... Based on all of the info I have read and now with your response here is a summary of what I have learned:
1. ECU tuning definitely affects the sound of the Ghibli exhaust note
2. The Ghibli exhaust piping configuration was adjusted in 2019
3. Maserati has adjusted the ECU tuning on multiple occasions to address exhaust note issues but did not inform Ghibli owners, as far as I can tell from reading other posts, or give them a choice of one tune versus another leaving them to be surprised after having their car serviced that the revised ECU tune had changed the sound of the vehicle
4. The dealership tech's do not have all of this information available to them through Maserati; I know because that is where I started asking questions before I posted on this forum
5. This is Forum is the best place to get info on your Ghibli because the members are really knowledgeable and are willing to take the time to assist others...
Please correct me if I have misstated anything above...

Next step for me is to disconnect the exhaust vacuum line and if that doesn't provide the solution I am hoping for I will be asking for recommendations on an aftermarket alternative.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts